TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I agree that there was not the demand for qb's like him back in that time, that's why he was at GS. He was however a once in a generation qb for us. I think we've only had two of those type guys, Tracy and Adrian.

Put the words “for us” on the end and I definitely agree. And maybe that’s what StongingEagle was saying and I misunderstood.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

2. Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

Debesse's offense is deadly. It's a matter of how fast he can teach it and how fast our key offensive personnel are able to absorb it and excell with it. Obviously QB and OL blocking scheme key factors. Excellent rushing opportunities for our running backs with the possibility of a decent passing threat.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Debesse's offense is deadly. It's a matter of how fast he can teach it and how fast our key offensive personnel are able to absorb it and excell with it. Obviously QB and OL blocking scheme key factors. Excellent rushing opportunities for our running backs with the possibility of a decent passing threat.
    +1

Since in all probability the flex will not be the "featured" formation, there still needs to be a package of running and pass plays (heck the same ones we run from the whatever we end up calling this thing, "Gun Option" just still reminds me tooooo much of 2015-2016) to make someone have to prepare for it. And who knows there may be a game that it completely baffles the bad guys D.
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me

If anybody wants to know what our offense will look like in 2018, take a look at the USA game.

What we ran in that game is fundamentally the same as what I see on UNM film from 2016-17. Unless DeBesse wants to do something different, that’s the “identity” Lunsford was talking about.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    If anybody wants to know what our offense will look like in 2018, take a look at the USA game.

What we ran in that game is fundamentally the same as what I see on UNM film from 2016-17. Unless DeBesse wants to do something different, that’s the “identity” Lunsford was talking about.
    I’ll take 52 points every week. 😉

Agreed with this. We kept things very basic against USA and ULL. We threw in a few more cool wrinkles against CCU but we went back to inhale vigorouslying to high heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Agreed with this. We kept things very basic against USA and ULL. We threw in a few more cool wrinkles against CCU but we went back to inhale vigorouslying to high heaven.
    On second look, I was wrong about USA being the film to look at. ULL is the game in which we ran lots of triple option off the IZ. It was very effective and very close to what you see in the UNM film. This is the game where we got way over 100 yards on pitches from that play.

But the point stands: we’ll be running what we tried in 2017, but DeBesse won’t be learning on the job. He is the mastermind of the gun option built on a zone read foundation.

Based on that, our returning talent might actually run some teams off the field.

If Lunsford is at least average plus, we might turn this around quickly.
    Last edited by pete4256; 17th December 2017 at 09:18 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

On second look, I was wrong about USA being the film to look at. ULL is the game in which we ran lots of triple option off the IZ. It was very effective and very close to what you see in the UNM film. This is the game where we got way over 100 yards on pitches from that play.

But the point stands: we’ll be running what we tried in 2017, but DeBesse won’t be learning on the job. He is the mastermind of the gun option built on a zone read foundation.

Based on that, our returning talent might actually run some teams off the field.

If Lunsford is at least average plus, we might turn this around quickly.

Maybe the phrase "gun option" should be retired after the TS "experiment"

Something like the "D-Bone" or some other phrase less tied to 2016-2017 seasons

Quote Originally Posted by VorlonEagle View Post
    Maybe the phrase "gun option" should be retired after the TS "experiment"

Something like the "D-Bone" or some other phrase less tied to 2016-2017 seasons
    We can just call it DeBesse Offense eva. I loved Fritzkreig, but that no longer works.