TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jaalon

Default Re: Jaalon

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Yes, just in terms of physical tools. He's a lot like Youyoute, and the reason I said "most complete quarterback" instead of "best QB" because it remains to be seen how he uses those tools, which will determined whether or not he's better than Ellison, but I have higher hopes for him than I had for Youyoute in early 2012.
    Yes, Youyoute and Revere are the guys who come to mind, though Werts is mechanically quirkier than either and probably has more upside than both.

Unlike Izzy, he was able to work out the kinks in a garbage season, and he showed down the stretch that he is the QB of the future. I’m guessing that a lot of the same posters who are criticizing Werts now are the same ones who were mad when Izzy got replaced by Jerick in 2012, which is mighty ironic.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Yes, Youyoute and Revere are the guys who come to mind, though Werts is mechanically quirkier than either and probably has more upside than both.

Unlike Izzy, he was able to work out the kinks in a garbage season, and he showed down the stretch that he is the QB of the future. I’m guessing that a lot of the same posters who are criticizing Werts now are the same ones who were mad when Izzy got replaced by Jerick in 2012, which is mighty ironic.
    Youtube proved one thing that if you run the option you better have at least two QBs that are capable and you may have to go to a third in crunch time to win a Conference Championship. We need to keep "polishing" Werts and developing depth.
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me

Quote Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
    Youtube proved one thing that if you run the option you better have at least two QBs that are capable and you may have to go to a third in crunch time to win a Conference Championship. We need to keep "polishing" Werts and developing depth.
    Yeah, thank goodness we didn’t have to run Russell DeMasi out there in that game.

Nothing against Russell . . .
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Yeah, thank goodness we didn’t have to run Russell DeMasi out there in that game.

Nothing against Russell . . .
    Those fresh legs made him look like the Road Runner... Beep Beep!
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me

5. Default Re: Jaalon

We ran a “slightly” different offense at the end of the season.

That offense resembled Fritz/DeBesse’s more closely, and there was much more space for Werts to pitch the ball without having to force it.
    Agree with this totally!! We really didn't have an offensive identity until CCL decided to narrow the playbook down to about 10 or so plays. He looked pretty good in the two wins and ok in the CCU game. I don't think we see alot of changes in plays as much as we will see more motion and formations. All the games I watched of NMU, I seen alot of the same plays coming from different formations and different motions. I have no doubt WERTS will be the starter next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    Agree with this totally!! We really didn't have an offensive identity until CCL decided to narrow the playbook down to about 10 or so plays. He looked pretty good in the two wins and ok in the CCU game. I don't think we see alot of changes in plays as much as we will see more motion and formations. All the games I watched of NMU, I seen alot of the same plays coming from different formations and different motions. I have no doubt WERTS will be the starter next season.
    Idk... if a QB rises and proves he can make the pitch consistently as well as pass, then that will be the man...

Shai did improve as the year went on.....was he the best we had last year, not sure he was. I think Summer made the decision early and didn't look to others like he should have. Just my opinion. Next year I think Shai has a head start, but I'm not sold on him. Put them out there and let them compete. I think the coaches we have now will make them compete and the best will start....
    Soaring on to the Sunbelt! GATA Eagles!

8. Default Re: Jaalon

Werts has to learn to pitch the ball. There were MANY plays this year where, if he had pitched instead of turning up field with the ball, we would have had big gains. I think the spring will see who comes out on top. It wouldn't surprise me for Werts to get a big push from Frazier if Werts can't get the pitch working when needed.
    Robbie May
    SOAR - 1995
    BBA - Finance
    Class of 1998

One thing I saw from werts the last 3 games was he made up his mind on pitches much more quickly. Some of the times he shouldn't have pitched it, other times he should have, but early in the season the indecision cost him a good bit. Last 3 games, whether or not it was the perfect decision, he made up his mind and did it. That was a big step for him, and I think a lot of that was just his confidence level.

We saw a much more confident werts the last 3 games.

For everyone who says he was hesitant to pitch, I don't blame him. We had lackluster perimeter blocking most of the year that allowed defenders to flood the alley, even if a pitch "looked" open. The pitch in an option attack is the most risky thing you can do. If there's any doubt, the QB should keep it. Playcalling didn't do anything to help keep defenders from flooding playside either.

I'm also not convinced that Werts was asked to make many reads early/middle of the year. It looks like a lot of our plays were predetermined from the beginning.

That said, he improved at the end of the year, as we had better blocking. Under competent coaching, that's what you'd expect to start seeing in game 2/3. Werts looked no different than a QB making his first starts in our offense. Everyone forgets how shaky QB's have looked in the past but it was forgiven because they had to "get reps in the system." Well the system the past 2 years has been ****, without any rhyme or reason, and no one really got any quality reps or quality coaching from the top to do things right. On top of that, the HC had an EXTREME lack of confidence which obviously bled into the players.

These types of criticisms of Werts specifically are unfair, especially when many players around him struggled as well. We've rarely praised ONLY the QB when we're playing well, but we always seem to BLAME him first.