TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jaalon

Default Re: Jaalon

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    For everyone who says he was hesitant to pitch, I don't blame him. We had lackluster perimeter blocking most of the year that allowed defenders to flood the alley, even if a pitch "looked" open. The pitch in an option attack is the most risky thing you can do. If there's any doubt, the QB should keep it. Playcalling didn't do anything to help keep defenders from flooding playside either.

I'm also not convinced that Werts was asked to make many reads early/middle of the year. It looks like a lot of our plays were predetermined from the beginning.

That said, he improved at the end of the year, as we had better blocking. Under competent coaching, that's what you'd expect to start seeing in game 2/3. Werts looked no different than a QB making his first starts in our offense. Everyone forgets how shaky QB's have looked in the past but it was forgiven because they had to "get reps in the system." Well the system the past 2 years has been ****, without any rhyme or reason, and no one really got any quality reps or quality coaching from the top to do things right. On top of that, the HC had an EXTREME lack of confidence which obviously bled into the players.

These types of criticisms of Werts specifically are unfair, especially when many players around him struggled as well. We've rarely praised ONLY the QB when we're playing well, but we always seem to BLAME him first.

spot on

2. Default Re: Jaalon

For everyone who says he was hesitant to pitch, I don't blame him. We had lackluster perimeter blocking most of the year that allowed defenders to flood the alley, even if a pitch "looked" open. The pitch in an option attack is the most risky thing you can do. If there's any doubt, the QB should keep it. Playcalling didn't do anything to help keep defenders from flooding playside either.

I'm also not convinced that Werts was asked to make many reads early/middle of the year. It looks like a lot of our plays were predetermined from the beginning.

That said, he improved at the end of the year, as we had better blocking. Under competent coaching, that's what you'd expect to start seeing in game 2/3. Werts looked no different than a QB making his first starts in our offense. Everyone forgets how shaky QB's have looked in the past but it was forgiven because they had to "get reps in the system." Well the system the past 2 years has been ****, without any rhyme or reason, and no one really got any quality reps or quality coaching from the top to do things right. On top of that, the HC had an EXTREME lack of confidence which obviously bled into the players.

These types of criticisms of Werts specifically are unfair, especially when many players around him struggled as well. We've rarely praised ONLY the QB when we're playing well, but we always seem to BLAME him first.
    Agreed

Some truth but did not see people piling just on Werts, it was a team effort in most losses. Also saw a ton of frustrated backs throwing their hands up not getting the pitch when they were open and he got tackled behind the line of scrimmage. You would have to be blind not to see he got better towards the end though. We have some depth at the QB position the best man will get the job and beyond confident who ever it is will be better than what we saw the majority of last year. Could be Werts 2.0, could be Kado or even Jaalon. Outside of Brinson and some of the backs I dont think any player played so well their position as lock for starter is 100% secure.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

4. Default Re: Jaalon

I have criticized him, but my concern is less about his hesitation to pitch it and more about his inability to pitch it (IMO sloppy and awkward)... and his overall decision making. KE4 had poor blocking last year and still knew how to pitch the ball. I understand Werts is a freshmen and has time to GATA, but if I am on a thread that asks if Jaalon can challenge him to start, I say absolutely.

I just want the best QB we have on the field, I do not really care which one.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I have criticized him, but my concern is less about his hesitation to pitch it and more about his inability to pitch it (IMO sloppy and awkward)... and his decision making. KE4 had poor blocking last year and still knew how to pitch the ball. I understand Werts is a freshmen and has time to GATA, but if I am on a thread that asks if Jaalon can challenge him to start, I say absolutely.

I just want the best QB we have on the field, I do not really care which one.
    I said after the spring last year that Frazier was the better QB and I think we would be much further along had the coaches gone with him. He is a lot like Raymond G to me with a better arm. Get him polished and he can do the job. Werts decision making bothers me. Too inconsistent, 1 series looks great and then another cant make a play. I don’t know how many times he would be scrambling and we need a play and he would ignore a wide open back in the flats who could pick up the needed yards but instead would try to run for it and a shoe string tackle brings him down. He will have to improve a lot for me to have a lot of confidence in his ability. PS: prove me wrong Shai!

If Jaalon wins the starting job, I don't see it as a bad thing at all. Wertshas a great skill set and has shown how he can improve with proper coaching. If Jaalon comes in and wins it next year, that would say some great things about him.

If we sign Arthur Brantley, in addition to just inking Justin Tomlin, the QB room and depth chart will get a whole lot more interesting.