TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New defensive Scheme

1. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    No, we convincingly outscored opponents in 14 games. Fell short of doing that once.

Had we put our 2001 defense out there with the 1998 offense that would have been the most dominant I-AA team of all time.
    Our 1999 offense, IMO.

2. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

The offense was just so explosive it managed to hide the poor defense and injuries, until it couldn’t.

Are you serious? 14-1 is a poor defense? I'll take that record year after year. Please gimme that defense , please ! [/QUOTE]

3. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Are you serious 14-1 is a poor defensive. I'll take that record year after year. Please gimme that defense , please !
    Not that I expect you to understand these things, but the defense improved by a half yard per play and 7 points per game from 98 (5.16 ypp / 24.2 ppg) to 99 (4.69 ypp / 17.5 ppg) and got all the way down to 4.18 ypp / 15.4 ppg by 2001 (2nd best offense ever by ypp).

4. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Not that I expect you to understand these things, but the defense improved by a half yard per play and 7 points per game from 98 (5.16 ypp / 24.2 ppg) to 99 (4.69 ypp / 17.5 ppg) and got all the way down to 4.18 ypp / 15.4 ppg by 2001 (2nd best offense ever by ypp).
    Stastictics are bland. Win/loss is what counts,

5. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

Stastictics are bland. Win/loss is what counts,

via GIPHY

Default Re: New defensive Scheme

Our defense was sufficient for 14 games. What if 2001 vs 98 doesn't matter. You wanted a change to
    3-4 in our playoff game after 14 wins and we would automatically win?
    We don't change defensive schemes after 14-0 run. Are you serious?
    100% serious. PJ completely disagrees with you. He was so close to firing Rusty after the 1998 season that Sewak wishes now he had. PJ made Rusty switch schemes in order to keep his job. Fact.

Of course we didn't change schemes ... because we had recruited for years a 4-3 and guess what THAT was the very reason our defense was so porous was not the scheme. FACT was that our entire first string of starters at LB were racked with injuries especially throughout the playoffs. Morrell was permanently done early in the post-season (Colgate), Neese went out late. Larry Rogers went out. We had to play Tony Butler as a starter in the National Championship, who a year previous was a Georgia State CHEERLEADER. Pretty sure Michael Youngblood, Dante Harrow and Cody Robinson had to finish up the season. Harrow and Youngblood were mere pups in 1998.

You might forget that we were tied with Colgate at the half 28-28, you might forget that we were getting drug up and down the field by UCONN's Shane Stafford, you might have forgotten Aaron Stecker running for 180 yards for WIU and you might have forgotten Oteman Sampson carving us up early in the year. You might have forgot it took a Herculean effort from AP for us to rally past the Citadel, and you might have also forgotten us barely squeaking by a 2nd year USF program at home.

But I know for absolute certainty you if you're a Georgia Southern fan you haven't forgotten Adrian Zullo, Todd Bankhead and Marcel Shipp making mince meat out of our defense. We didn't win that day in Chattanooga because we had a bad offense ... we fumbled and still scored 43 points. You can connect those dots.
    Last edited by Eagle22; 21st December 2017 at 09:04 PM.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Our 1999 offense, IMO.
    Yeah, 747 points is still the record. I am of the opinion our 1998 offense would have scored more, only due to this:

Greg Hill would have had the ball more often if our defense had been successful like they were from 99-01
    Adrian was not hurt, and limited ... and played longer (through the 3rd quarters)

Both offenses were incredibly productive.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    The disconnect is you believing 22 is saying that he was dissatisfied with the defense in the one game we lost. I’ll let him speak to confirm it but he along with most of us weren’t pleased with that side of the ball throughout most of 98. The offense was just so explosive it managed to hide the poor defense and injuries, until it couldn’t.
    Correct. It was a pretty wretched season defensively throughout the year. Scoring more masked the smell. PJ wasn't happy at all about it.

I mean, other than the 63-7 thrashing of VMI it was an entertaining season but a defensive showcase it wasn't. I'd rank it 3rd most disappointing right behind 2009 and 2017. I'm sure Klak's stat analysis will say where it really ranks but we probably had no business winning that game in Charleston in 1998. Had we lost that, we are probably on the road in the playoffs and lose in the snow in Macomb, Illinois in the semi-finals.

As far as schemes and personnel goes, I’d like to see us versatile enough to morph between alignments as needed. It’d be fantastic to have enough athletes of all sizes and speeds to be very multiple.

As some have mentioned already, there are some players that fit specific schemes. Also, of note, is that the difference in whether you are in a 3-4 or 4-3 or 4-2-5 can simply be a pre-determined alignment that gets changed before the snap. Disgusing looks and being multiple is a sure sign of good coaching!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    Correct. It was a pretty wretched season defensively throughout the year. Scoring more masked the smell. PJ wasn't happy at all about it.

I mean, other than the 63-7 thrashing of VMI it was an entertaining season but a defensive showcase it wasn't. I'd rank it 3rd most disappointing right behind 2009 and 2017. I'm sure Klak's stat analysis will say where it really ranks but we probably had no business winning that game in Charleston in 1998. Had we lost that, we are probably on the road in the playoffs and lose in the snow in Macomb, Illinois in the semi-finals.
    Didn't AP have something along the lines of 5 td's in the 4th against Citadel? Maybe 2nd half? Either one is remarkable.