TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 73

Thread: New defensive Scheme

  1. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    100% serious. PJ completely disagrees with you. He was so close to firing Rusty after the 1998 season that Sewak wishes now he had. PJ made Rusty switch schemes in order to keep his job. Fact.
    Fact you don't change defensive schemes after 14-0 season. And yes PJ and Sewak had issues with Rusty's defense. Hence resulted in his eventual firing and Sewak's unwarranted nightmare.

  2. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by Soweagle View Post
    Didn't AP have something along the lines of 5 td's in the 4th against Citadel? Maybe 2nd half? Either one is remarkable.
    Yep, 5 in the second half: https://gatadb.com/game/212/

  3. #43

    Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    No, we convincingly outscored opponents in 14 games. Fell short of doing that once.

    Had we put our 2001 defense out there with the 1998 offense that would have been the most dominant I-AA team of all time.
    Yep. The 1998 Georgia Southern Eagle O was the most "powerful" offensive unit I've seen play as Georgia Southern Eagles imho.
    Last edited by GIEAGLE; 21st December 2017 at 09:27 PM.

  4. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    We based out of a three-man line, but we were multiple. In ‘99, for instance, we had Voncellies Allen at NT with Freddie P and Eugene Phillips flanking him as “DTs.” We often brought at least one OLB up to the LoS as a pass rusher, sometimes in a three point stance. Jamar Jones most often, but sometimes Mike Youngblood, too.

    In ‘99 NC game, we started off in a 5-2 look, with Jones and Youngblood both in a three-point stance.
    Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying what I saw at a glance!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    100% serious. PJ completely disagrees with you. He was so close to firing Rusty after the 1998 season that Sewak wishes now he had. PJ made Rusty switch schemes in order to keep his job. Fact.

    Of course we didn't change schemes ... because we had recruited for years a 4-3 and guess what THAT was the very reason our defense was so porous was not the scheme. FACT was that our entire first string of starters at LB were racked with injuries especially throughout the playoffs. Morrell was permanently done early in the post-season (Colgate), Neese went out late. Larry Rogers went out. We had to play Tony Butler as a starter in the National Championship, who a year previous was a Georgia State CHEERLEADER. Pretty sure Michael Youngblood, Dante Harrow and Cody Robinson had to finish up the season. Harrow and Youngblood were mere pups in 1998.

    You might forget that we were tied with Colgate at the half 28-28, you might forget that we were getting drug up and down the field by UCONN's Shane Stafford, you might have forgotten Aaron Stecker running for 180 yards for WIU and you might have forgotten Oteman Sampson carving us up early in the year. You might have forgot it took a Herculean effort from AP for us to rally past the Citadel, and you might have also forgotten us barely squeaking by a 2nd year USF program at home.

    But I know for absolute certainty you if you're a Georgia Southern fan you haven't forgotten Adrian Zullo, Todd Bankhead and Marcel Shipp making mince meat out of our defense. We didn't win that day in Chattanooga because we had a bad offense ... we fumbled and still scored 43 points. You can connect those dots.
    I never knew that, probably because I was a freshman, but that's really interesting. That connects a lot of dots for me.

  5. #45

    Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    100% serious. PJ completely disagrees with you. He was so close to firing Rusty after the 1998 season that Sewak wishes now he had. PJ made Rusty switch schemes in order to keep his job. Fact.

    Of course we didn't change schemes ... because we had recruited for years a 4-3 and guess what THAT was the very reason our defense was so porous was not the scheme. FACT was that our entire first string of starters at LB were racked with injuries especially throughout the playoffs. Morrell was permanently done early in the post-season (Colgate), Neese went out late. Larry Rogers went out. We had to play Tony Butler as a starter in the National Championship, who a year previous was a Georgia State CHEERLEADER. Pretty sure Michael Youngblood, Dante Harrow and Cody Robinson had to finish up the season. Harrow and Youngblood were mere pups in 1998.

    You might forget that we were tied with Colgate at the half 28-28, you might forget that we were getting drug up and down the field by UCONN's Shane Stafford, you might have forgotten Aaron Stecker running for 180 yards for WIU and you might have forgotten Oteman Sampson carving us up early in the year. You might have forgot it took a Herculean effort from AP for us to rally past the Citadel, and you might have also forgotten us barely squeaking by a 2nd year USF program at home.

    But I know for absolute certainty you if you're a Georgia Southern fan you haven't forgotten Adrian Zullo, Todd Bankhead and Marcel Shipp making mince meat out of our defense. We didn't win that day in Chattanooga because we had a bad offense ... we fumbled and still scored 43 points. You can connect those dots.
    I'm pretty sure we turned the ball over 7 times including at least 1 interception that game against UMASS. And as you said Eagle22, still scored 43 points against the final team in the championship tournament. Like ya said, just connect the dots.

  6. #46

    Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Fact you don't change defensive schemes after 14-0 season. And yes PJ and Sewak had issues with Rusty's defense. Hence resulted in his eventual firing and Sewak's unwarranted nightmare.
    I don't want to speak for 22 but I'm pretty sure he wasn't advocating for changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 before the Championship game after starting the season 14-0. He's saying he wished we'd have been running it all along, and maybe the D would have been better. Some of those close wins wouldn't have been so close. Apparently they did switch defenses after a 14-1 season, so apparently PJ wasn't too impressed with the D despite the record. That seems like support for 22's desire to have been in it from the beginning.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    23,821

    Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Keep fighting the good fight eaglefan200. What does it matter that everyone thinks you're wrong?

  8. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Keep fighting the good fight eaglefan200. What does it matter that everyone thinks you're wrong?
    Touche, but perhaps not everyone. I thought you were in agreement with me on occasion. 😎

  9. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by GSUEagle12 View Post
    14-0. He's saying he wished we'd have been running it all along, and maybe the D would have been better. .
    Really now. At 14-0, I'd call that a damn good defense even with an explosive offense.

  10. #50

    Default Re: New defensive Scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Really now. At 14-0, I'd call that a damn good defense even with an explosive offense.
    So, I bet you think Rex Grossman's QB play got the Bears to the Superbowl too.

Similar Threads

  1. OLINE BLOCKING SCHEME
    By Hawgs in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11th November 2016, 10:35 AM
  2. Defensive Scheme for this year?
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 23rd January 2016, 11:11 AM
  3. Scheme vs WV?
    By scotchtkh in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 19th August 2015, 09:02 PM
  4. Offensive scheme for '15?
    By scotchtkh in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 4th August 2015, 08:16 PM
  5. Scheme and Playcalling?
    By gritzblitz56 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 4th November 2009, 09:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •