TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New defensive Scheme

1. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    They can all get ugly if you don't have the players.
    I knew someone would say that. What I meant was, the 3-4 is less forgiving than other schemes. 4-2-5 seems to be more adaptable to blocking different offensive schemes, but of course I only know what things look like from my couch, nothing is what they appear to be.

Default Re: New defensive Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    I knew someone would say that. What I meant was, the 3-4 is less forgiving than other schemes. 4-2-5 seems to be more adaptable to blocking different offensive schemes, but of course I only know what things look like from my couch, nothing is what they appear to be.
    Finding those big DE and NT to hold blocks and willing to simply be run stoppers while routinely double teamed can be challenging. On the contrary, telling LB's you'll be blitzing more often is enticing.

Players on current roster who fit the 3-4 should be a good constructive discussion in this forum.

I honestly feel like our current personnel is a better fit for the 3-4. We have a longer list of guys who fit the ILB mold that should not be covering the large zones/man they were being asked to cover in the 4-3. We have the NTs, but I don't think we are deep enough there for the 4-3. CTS was recruiting the length for a 3-4 so we should have plenty of ends/OLBs to sort through to get the right combo.

Quote Originally Posted by AcctEagle221 View Post
    I honestly feel like our current personnel is a better fit for the 3-4. We have a longer list of guys who fit the ILB mold that should not be covering the large zones/man they were being asked to cover in the 4-3. We have the NTs, but I don't think we are deep enough there for the 4-3. CTS was recruiting the length for a 3-4 so we should have plenty of ends/OLBs to sort through to get the right combo.
    On a positive note, Zo and Summers were recruiting SIZE and LENGTH on defense over talent and speed.

Speed on the DL isn't necessary as a 4-3 DL. I'll have to look at the roster more in depth especially the younger players.

Does a Traver Vliem transition to OLB benefit him or is he able to bulk up to 280lbs and hold the edge?

Several DE on roster will move to OLB while DT move to DE

Quote Originally Posted by NewJersey GATA View Post
    On a positive note, Zo and Summers were recruiting SIZE and LENGTH on defense over talent and speed.

Speed on the DL isn't necessary as a 4-3 DL. I'll have to look at the roster more in depth especially the younger players.

Does a Traver Vliem transition to OLB benefit him or is he able to bulk up to 280lbs and hold the edge?

Several DE on roster will move to OLB while DT move to DE
    Now when you say speed isn't necessary as a 4-3 d lineman...how so? Do you mean at defensive tackle?

I would argue it's far more important in the 4-3, especially at DE.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Now when you say speed isn't necessary as a 4-3 d lineman...how so? Do you mean at defensive tackle?

I would argue it's far more important in the 4-3, especially at DE.
    Yikes ....I misspoke when I wrote that. 4-3 DE is essential compared to 3-4 DE. I looked at our roster and majority of our DE will move to OLB. Need NT depth on this roster!!!

The line in a 3-4 is more about occupying blockers so the LBs can make plays

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    The line in a 3-4 is more about occupying blockers so the LBs can make plays
    To some degree. The ends are still expected to contain the run and get an edge rush against the pass. The NT has to have gap discipline and be able to split a double team.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    He might have said that but we ran a 3-4 from 99-01. Just looked it up.
    When you have a Voncellies Allen, you run a 3-4

Wished we had used the 3-4 in 1998
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

10. Default Re: New defensive Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post

Wished we had used the 3-4 in 1998
    Why? We convincingly won 14 games without it in 98.