TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

  1. #31

    Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Name recognition took a hit when we didn't keep the winning momentum going after our second year in FBS. But in the big picture NO ONE cares about G5's no matter what your name.
    Disagree with this. EVERYONE in P5 knows who BOISE STATE is. Many P5 programs in college football have been irrelevant in the last 20 yrs

  2. #32

    Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    As a G5 program, the only way you make a name for yourself is to either perform 2 task.

    1. Go undefeated and your University will receive recognition.

    2. Defeat STRONG P5 opponents consistently. Schedule those schools and beat them and everyone will know who you are!

    If you fail to do either task, then you'll go unrecognized even if your school consistently wins 9-10 games per season and wins conference championships.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Posts
    41,514

    Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    Quote Originally Posted by NewJersey GATA View Post
    Disagree with this. EVERYONE in P5 knows who BOISE STATE is. Many P5 programs in college football have been irrelevant in the last 20 yrs

    And it took Boise St like 5 years before they had a winning record. We were well ahead of that pace then we made a disastrous coaching hire. We didn't beat anyone but people noticed (national media) that we almost beat NC State and Tech. Remember there was access bowl chatter (at least we were in the conversation) under Fritz. The 2nd year not so much after Navy.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Statesboro
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    Quote Originally Posted by NewJersey GATA View Post
    As a G5 program, the only way you make a name for yourself is to either perform 2 task.

    1. Go undefeated and your University will receive recognition.

    2. Defeat STRONG P5 opponents consistently. Schedule those schools and beat them and everyone will know who you are!

    If you fail to do either task, then you'll go unrecognized even if your school consistently wins 9-10 games per season and wins conference championships.
    +1000 on your two points and if you don't do that on a semi consistent pattern you fall into the G5 abyss in which pretty much the only ones who care are your own fans and conference mates. Like we are wondering about Appy next season with their losing lots of SR's(rivals/interest).

  5. Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    When I see people complain about the Ball States and Kent States of the world I laugh because it's not like those teams want to play us either. We are aren't some "catch."

    Vast majority of our opponents think we're GA State. That's how much name recognition 6 FCS national titles buys you.... which is why I'm glad we left.
    So we should lower our expectations because Ball State an Kent State do not want to play us?

  6. #36

    Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    So we should lower our expectations because Ball State an Kent State do not want to play us?
    No you should lower your expectations because we're GS not UGA.

    I don't know what reality we live in where we think we're going to consistently attract P5 opponents. If we had a 35,000 seat stadium I would get it.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    Hate to tell you, but 10 years from now...3 go daddy bowls, 4 dollar General bowls and the cirque du soleil bowl isnt going to do anything for name recognition either.
    The TV ratings disagree.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    If you want 6 home games a year you shouldn't complain about these games. We could schedule 4 power five teams a year but that would require us to play at their stadiums. P5 teams that would bring us any national recognition probably aren't coming to Statesboro. These home-and -home games make sure we get the 6 home games every year.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post

    And it took Boise St like 5 years before they had a winning record. We were well ahead of that pace then we made a disastrous coaching hire. We didn't beat anyone but people noticed (national media) that we almost beat NC State and Tech. Remember there was access bowl chatter (at least we were in the conversation) under Fritz. The 2nd year not so much after Navy.
    Unfortunately, GT and NC State are not the premiere schools I was talking about. Florida Gators, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC Tojans, Alabama, Texas ........ etc are your premier fan base schools. Now those schools may not be national title contenders every yr, but they have a FAN BASE unlike others along with the fact that ESPN bows down to those Universities. GT will bring noise to the state of Georgia. Unfortunately college football fans in GA already know GS exist.

    Nebraska has a fairly big fan base that stretches past the Midwest. With FROST in house over there, they could regain that recognition in 3 yrs.

    Defeating Cornhuskers would be a step in the right direction.

    People know App State bc of defeating Michigan more than anything else.

  10. Default Re: Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames

    Quote Originally Posted by NewJersey GATA View Post
    Unfortunately, GT and NC State are not the premiere schools I was talking about. Florida Gators, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC Tojans, Alabama, Texas ........ etc are your premier fan base schools. Now those schools may not be national title contenders every yr, but they have a FAN BASE unlike others along with the fact that ESPN bows down to those Universities. GT will bring noise to the state of Georgia. Unfortunately college football fans in GA already know GS exist.

    Nebraska has a fairly big fan base that stretches past the Midwest. With FROST in house over there, they could regain that recognition in 3 yrs.

    Defeating Cornhuskers would be a step in the right direction.

    People know App State bc of defeating Michigan more than anything else.

    Yep, and years in the SBC and some minor bowl wins hasn't changed that. In fact, I'd wager the same people probably still know Boise for beating Oklahoma or that silly-assed blue turf than anything else. Hell, they're an occasional top 25 program, but they're also one bad coach away from being an afterthought, just like every other program that isn't among the elite.

    That said, what does it ------ matter? That's what I don't get about some fans. You continue to bemoan the supposed 'lack of respect' a school gets, WHO GIVES A F___K. Does it make your day somehow better if some pinheaded yankee from Newark goes, "ooh, you like Georgia Southern, you're cool."

    I mean, if you're in it so you can somehow live vicariously through how many people know about and salute the football program you claim to support, you need to check your priorities as a fan.


    This isn't just directed at you. It's all of your insecure ilk. So don't take it personally.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Future FCS Home Games Announced
    By GATA in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 14th December 2016, 09:09 PM
  2. Home and Home with FAU Announced (2020 & 2021)
    By Eagle22 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 13th December 2016, 01:04 PM
  3. Replies: 71
    Last Post: 5th June 2016, 08:25 PM
  4. Georgia State v. Army - Home & Home Arrangement
    By EagleLaw in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 27th August 2015, 10:33 AM
  5. Georgia State Saturday home football games times announced
    By sportsperson1983 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17th June 2014, 06:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •