TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donations for 2018??

1. Default Donations for 2018??

Does anyone know whether any donations we make before the end of this year can go toward the required donation for 2018 season tickets?

(with the new tax law, I won’t need to itemize. Would be good if a donation now could qualify for next year.)

Default Re: Donations for 2018??

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Does anyone know whether any donations we make before the end of this year can go toward the required donation for 2018 season tickets?

(with the new tax law, I won’t need to itemize. Would be good if a donation now could qualify for next year.)
    I believe TK sent an email out about this last week that indicated that you can.

I've read that checks postmarked by tonight will meet IRS guidelines. So you might have a little bit of time left.

I called yesterday afternoon and prepaid my annual donation. I hope by 2019 there is an alternative in place. I was considering a few weeks ago just finishing off the balance of the locker I sponsored in the FOC but w/ this change I held off on that since that still should be fully deductible.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Thank you for your continued investment in GeorgiaSouthern student-athletes and for all you do to support GeorgiaSouthern Athletics. Your financial contributions provide the necessary resources for each one of our student-athletes to compete at the highest levels both athletically and academically.

I would like to provide you with some information regarding new legislation that will impact your tax deduction for future contributions toward priority ticket allocations, premium seating and/or parking.
    As you are likely aware, Internal Revenue Service Code section 170(l) currently allows for 80% of a donation paid for seating at an athletic event in an athletic stadium of an institution of higher learning to be considered a charitable contribution. Under the new federal tax bill, the deductibility of these donations for priority seating, such as ticket-related giving, would no longer be allowed. We want you to be aware of this deduction change as the 2017 tax year comes to an end.

This tax legislation will take effect as early as January 1, 2018. Therefore, you may want to consider making your football and/or basketball seat/parking contribution before the end of December.

Any contributions made by December 31, 2017, would be deductible according to current tax laws. Of course, we encourage you to speak with your personal tax advisor regarding the impact of this legislation and what strategies may be best for your future.

Click here to make a gift and take advantage of the 2017 tax law or call 1(800)GSU-WINS.

Please note this legislation will not affect the deductibility of any gifts that do not receive ticket and/or parking priority.

Please feel free to contact Kevin Bostian, Executive Director of the Athletic Foundation, with any questions you may have (KBostian@GeorgiaSouthern.edu). All of us in Georgia SouthernAthletics are thankful for your commitment to our student-athletes, and we wish you and your family all the best during this holiday season.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

5. Default Re: Donations for 2018??

The email is unclear. It mentions that donations are deductible, but doesnt mention whether that donation will apply toward next year’s required donation for tickets

The email is unclear. It mentions that donations are deductible, but doesnt mention whether that donation will apply toward next year’s required donation for tickets
    Doesn’t any donation after June 30, 2017 apply to 2018.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

It does.

They do not have the accounts set up w/ the invoicing for 2018 however. You will need to either call them or email them ....
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Here is an interesting thought. If the required minimum to sit where you want to sit is 1200, but you actually donate more than the minimum is the amount above the minimum still deductible?
    Last edited by EaglePA-C; 30th December 2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    It does.

They do not have the accounts set up w/ the invoicing for 2018 however. You will need to either call them or email them ....
    And hope that they follow your instructions. I found out just the other day that I made my pledge back in July to have 12 months to pay. The GSUAF had yet to take a single payment as of a couple of weeks ago. That is after I had called and emailed twice over the past few months to get it going. Finally, last week they hit my card for the first installment albeit at an amount 3x what it would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    Here is an interesting thought. If the required minimum to sit where you want to sit is 1200, but you actually donate more than the minimum is the amount above the minimum still deductible?
    First, I am not an accountant. I am only a tax payer which qualifies me only to pay taxes. I have always taken the position (with my own annual taxes) that if a donation of x is required to get the seats I want then x is 80% deductible. If I give x + $1000 and I receive no additional benefits fot the $1000 than I am allowed to deduct 80% of x plus 100% of $1000. Of consequence here is the lack of benefits for anything above x. This is no different than if you wrote one check for x in March and wrote another in May for your additional contribution. The fact that you choose to combine the payments into one is of no relevance or consequence. Again, I am not a tax advisor but I stand ready to defend my position with the IRS..
    "You should always expect to get back less than you put in. Thus, if you put nothing in, you should expect to get less than nothing back"