TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I LIKE IT!

Default Re: I LIKE IT!

I see no need at this point to expand to 16 teams. But I think going to 8 at this point is the way to go. The five power 5 champs, the best G5 champ, then two other at-large bids. Kill the 12th game for all schools, go back to a 11 game schedule and then the champ games will be the 12th game for two teams. Then you play the first round two weeks after the conference champ games on campuses. Then the semi's come the week of Christmas, and the finals come two weeks after the semi's. That allows teams to practice for 2 weeks for each game, it allows teams time for finals etc, and in the end the best team will be standing. That is the best plan I can come up with for the current system.

Here is what is going to happen in the next 10 to 15 years and it will all be driven by money and the ability for the big power 5 schools to run their own show.
    The top-44 teams from FBS will split off on their own and will be geographically assigned to four super conferences. Each conference will have 11 teams, you play everyone in your conference, then you have one crossover game with someone either a rival or just another team from another conference and then you will have one lower level game, for homecoming. Basically a money game for the other 90 or so teams that will be left after the others leave and a few FCS teams move up. FCS will become the rest of Division one not in the Super-44 and those teams will make up most of the lower bowl games. Current FCS schools will either move up, or move to Division II. The NCAA will run the leftovers from FBS and FCS, as well as Division II and III. The Super-44 teams will run themselves with a commisioner elected and with their own rules on recruiting and playing. Then all the money from the bigger bowls and the playoffs would go into the Super-44 and then the rest of the teams would go to smaller bowls. Football will for all other purposes not matter for conferences in other sports, because the other sports will not be included in this.
    Now the number of schools might be different, and some of the details might be different, but something along those lines will be coming. There is too much money to be made with the television contracts and advertising, especially if the NCAA can be cut out of the share. The schools will realize "hey if we get the NCAA out of all this, we can run this how we want and not have to answer to them anymore or share money with them."

2. Default Re: I LIKE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    I see no need at this point to expand to 16 teams. But I think going to 8 at this point is the way to go. The five power 5 champs, the best G5 champ, then two other at-large bids. Kill the 12th game for all schools, go back to a 11 game schedule and then the champ games will be the 12th game for two teams. Then you play the first round two weeks after the conference champ games on campuses. Then the semi's come the week of Christmas, and the finals come two weeks after the semi's. That allows teams to practice for 2 weeks for each game, it allows teams time for finals etc, and in the end the best team will be standing. That is the best plan I can come up with for the current system.

Here is what is going to happen in the next 10 to 15 years and it will all be driven by money and the ability for the big power 5 schools to run their own show.
    The top-44 teams from FBS will split off on their own and will be geographically assigned to four super conferences. Each conference will have 11 teams, you play everyone in your conference, then you have one crossover game with someone either a rival or just another team from another conference and then you will have one lower level game, for homecoming. Basically a money game for the other 90 or so teams that will be left after the others leave and a few FCS teams move up. FCS will become the rest of Division one not in the Super-44 and those teams will make up most of the lower bowl games. Current FCS schools will either move up, or move to Division II. The NCAA will run the leftovers from FBS and FCS, as well as Division II and III. The Super-44 teams will run themselves with a commisioner elected and with their own rules on recruiting and playing. Then all the money from the bigger bowls and the playoffs would go into the Super-44 and then the rest of the teams would go to smaller bowls. Football will for all other purposes not matter for conferences in other sports, because the other sports will not be included in this.
    Now the number of schools might be different, and some of the details might be different, but something along those lines will be coming. There is too much money to be made with the television contracts and advertising, especially if the NCAA can be cut out of the share. The schools will realize "hey if we get the NCAA out of all this, we can run this how we want and not have to answer to them anymore or share money with them."
    I think you are correct. They can then be another version of the nfl. You will see highly paid players and even higher paid coaches. I already don't watch the nfl so probably would not watch that mess either. However i realize that i am in the minority. The real question for me will be how do i avoid paying for it in some fashion or will i be forced to pay for it if i want to watch some type of sports.

There should just be 4 Power conferences with 16 teams in each conference. Conference championship games would be the first round of a 8 team playoff. P4 teams will no longer be able to schedule FCS teams.
    G5 can still get the access bowl and remaining 4 G5 conference champs can play for a championship

Cancel the playoffs altogether and give everyone trophies. There will always be someone left out and upset which is fast becoming unacceptable in this world.

5. Default Re: I LIKE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    That's just theory. There's no plans to change the current structure ever, so I'm just going to ignore it. There should never be a national championship between 2 teams in the same conference, ever.
    This is a mess.

I have no idea how a team could lose their conference and end up playing for a NC....

I despise Sabin so much. God, what an ***.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    This is a mess.

I have no idea how a team could lose their conference and end up playing for a NC....

He didn't vote his way into the CFP.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    This is a mess.

Not the first time itís hapenend. Hell, not the first time itís happened for Alabama.

Iím not sure what all the fuss is. There has never been a rule that you have to win your conference to be in the BCS championship or the playoffs. Ohio St got in last year as a 1 loss team without winning their conference.
    Last edited by half-n-half; 6th January 2018 at 05:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

edit

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    Because it's extremely boring. Also, probably better for ratings.
    yeah, because last night was terribly boring......
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

The only issue with a non conference champ making the field is when conference champs are left out.

I think there are only two solutions. And if we get to the second, it will only be after the first.

First step from what we have now:
    8 teams.
    All P5 champs, G5 Access rep, and two at large.
    Then there is a real path for everyone and allows for the at large cases.

The other step is 12 teams.
    Top 4 Bye.
    All conference champs/2 at large

Added
    Is there currently a requirement to schedule 12 regular season games?
    Even if so, make the 12th game optional.
    If you don't think you are going to win your conference, or advance far into a 12 team playoff, then obviously schedule 12 games. But if you fear playing too many, only schedule 11 regular season games. Let it be an institutional decision based on the needs of each program.
    Even if you schedule 12, it would be rare for any team to exceed 16 games. In this year's case Bama would have had to play 15.
    We've done it.