TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Berryhill

Default Re: Berryhill

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    So he left Georgia Southern for 2x National Champion SEC South Carolina to get more playing time? I find that a bit difficult to believe.
    Why is it hard to believe that our starting catcher is better than what USC has?

So he left Georgia Southern for 2x National Champion SEC South Carolina to get more playing time? I find that a bit difficult to believe.
    See E22's comment about baseball scholarships. College baseball is a different animal.

College baseball more resembles some pro sport with a salary cap because you have 11.7 scholarships and you have 9 players on the field, one DH, and a pitching staff of usually 10 or 12 guys. If a guy gets a quarter scholarship at a place like UGA and gets 1/3 of one here most are going to choose use over UGA.

Compare that to football with an 83-scholarship max with 22 starters and basketball you have 13 max with 5 starters.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 6th January 2018 at 10:53 AM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

So is Tyler Martin the backup catcher, then?

4. Default Re: Berryhill

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Why is it hard to believe that our starting catcher is better than what USC has?
    Because SC is a considerably better program that is usually in the top 15 or so in the country...a good year for GS is breaking the top 100.

And, note I said it was hard to believe, not impossible. I realize it is possible.

Because SC is a considerably better program that is usually in the top 15 or so in the country...a good year for GS is breaking the top 100.

And, note I said it was hard to believe, not impossible. I realize it is possible.
    USC is losing 2 catchers off a team that finished below .500 in the SEC last year. This is college baseball, where there is a ton more parity than a lot of other sports. We have guys drafted pretty much every year...it's not like we're trotting out a bunch of stiffs against the mighty SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    See E22's comment about baseball scholarships. College baseball is a different animal.

College baseball more resembles some pro sport with a salary cap because you have 11.7 scholarships and you have 9 players on the field, one DH, and a pitching staff of usually 10 or 12 guys. If a guy gets a quarter scholarship at a place like UGA and gets 1/3 of one here most are going to choose use over UGA.

Compare that to football with an 83-scholarship max with 22 starters and basketball you have 13 max with 5 starters.
    Most college baseball teams have 35 guys splitting up those 11.7 scholarships. Case in point we have 39. I learned quite a bit more how things work when gasouthern01's and I friends son was recruited. GS initially was interested in him until his senior year and ended up at Southern Miss, he almost went to USA.

http://gseagles.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball

Also looking at our roster, we have a USC transfer.
    Last edited by 1peatfor7; 6th January 2018 at 12:32 PM.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

If you follow baseball, you will see a lot of players transferring to find PT. For whatever reason(s), I think the player in question would not have seen a starting role here so guess what ... another program has what he is seeking.

We have had our share of player inflow and outflow for that exact reason. I won't get into naming former players who left seeking supposedly greener pastures only to have them never see the playing field at their next school, because that isn't worth my time.

Good luck to Berryhill, hope he finds what he is looking for and if the Gamecocks and Eagles meet up again on the field anytime soon I hope we throttle them like anyone else we might face.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

8. Default Re: Berryhill

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    If you follow baseball, you will see a lot of players transferring to find PT. For whatever reason(s), I think the player in question would not have seen a starting role here so guess what ... another program has what he is seeking.

We have had our share of player inflow and outflow for that exact reason. I won't get into naming former players who left seeking supposedly greener pastures only to have them never see the playing field at their next school, because that isn't worth my time.

Good luck to Berryhill, hope he finds what he is looking for and if the Gamecocks and Eagles meet up again on the field anytime soon I hope we throttle them like anyone else we might face.
    Yeah, baseball is definitely the most frustrating sport, relative to the personnel. It seems like every year we are reloading, and heavy on lower-classmen. IMO that is what makes guys like Ryan Cleveland so special.

I agree with some of what you are saying but not us barely breaking the top 100. We are consistently a top 50 program every year.

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    I agree with some of what you are saying but not us barely breaking the top 100. We are consistently a top 50 program every year.
    How many times have we finished in the top 50 the last 5 seasons? We finished 87 last year with 38 wins.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.