TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Berryhill

Default Re: Berryhill

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    How many times have we finished in the top 50 the last 5 seasons? We finished 87 last year with 38 wins.
    Probably thinking top 50 in attendance every year, which we are (or very close)
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

We aren’t consistently a top 50 program. We get eliminated from at large by mid April every season.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    We aren’t consistently a top 50 program. We get eliminated from at large by mid April every season.
    It has got to be tough to be you...

Ya'l need to get it through your heads 40 wins no longer guarantees you an at large bid. Win the conference tournament. If we win 40 then you hope the committee doesn't pick a 37, 38 win P5 Conferance team.

5. Default Re: Berryhill

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    I agree with some of what you are saying but not us barely breaking the top 100. We are consistently a top 50 program every year.
    Not that we do not have the potential, but GS is not even close to consistently being a top 50 program every year.

6. Default Re: Berryhill

Morning guys, I will try to answer these questions as honestly as I can.

The first thing, Luke transferring had absolutely nothing to do with playing time. This was one of the first things we talked about when this situation came up.
    As you all know he was injured on opening day last year when a team mate jumped on his shoulders and pulled him to the ground. After trying to play in a couple of games the pain was just too great. They figured out with an MRI that he had a very slight vertebra fracture and inflamed muscles and tissue. He didn't throw a ball or swing a bat again until first day of fall practice so naturally he was going to be way behind everyone. Anderson who had started getting ready before the end of the spring and the freshmen who had no break in playing time at all should have been more sharp than him. He was confident that as the year progressed he would get his legs back under him and rise to the top.

Transferring had everything to do with bigger opportunity and personal regrets. When Luke committed to GS at the end of his sophomore year he was 5'9", 170lbs and a pretty good catcher getting a lot of local interest. By the end of his junior year he was 6'1", 205lbs, 2 time all county all region and a perfect game all American. We played a lot of baseball that year in many showcase tournaments at places like Clemson, Auburn, Miss. State, Ole Miss, UGA etc. Many times that year we were told by his coaches that these schools would love to talk with him if he wasn't committed already. We felt we had a bird in the hand, we HAD committed and decided to honor that commitment and said no.
    Senior year came and again all county, all region, all state, county player of the year. The MLB was in the picture by then, more interest came, Luke was ranked the #1 catcher in Ga that year, #8 overall player in the state. We stayed firm on our commitment. A lot of guys that he knew that he was ranked above went to places like Ga tech, UGA, Clemson and on and on. It always bothered me that I let him commit too early, he never said anything. In the summer last year while all the other guys were playing summer league ball, he came home and we spent a lot of time on the lake and he confided in us that he too had these "what ifs" in his mind. As a kid, he and I dreamed of playing in Omaha, winning a national championship, going to the pros like all dads and kids do. When he went back to GS this fall he felt disconnected from the team, the upper classmen he had connected with were gone, the other guys had developed relationships last season on the road, traveling, playing together, he didn't. He called me one night and said "Dad, I'm just not happy here, don't feel like a part of this team" As a dad you want the best for your son, you want him happy. We didn't want him living his life with regret, what ifs, red shirting presented an opportunity to chase those dreams and remove the what ifs.

It was a huge decision taking the risk of leaving a pretty decent scholarship at a D1 program, going to a JUCO to get back in the groove and maybe move to an SEC, ACC power 5 school after an injury. Leaving your girlfriend and your life at GS to chase a dream, especially during Christmas break. But he did, in the first week 10 JUCO schools called, the second week 6 SEC schools called. He is headed to an excellent baseball program at Walters State CC this week, will graduate in the spring and play summer ball then head to the university of South Carolina in the fall where they fully expect him to be the guy.

I said all of this to illustrate that this decision was much much bigger than "playing time" and a huge risk. Baseball is such a mental game, being happy, being in the right place, right fit for YOU these are all BIG deals. Baseball life is short you only get one shot at this thing and I believe you have to do what you think is best for you. No regrets! We are appreciative of what GS has done for Luke and wish them the very best! We have left very good friends and people we care about there. Luke is a great young man with a good heart, we hope there isn't anyone who will hold ill will towards him for trying to chase "His" dream. GATA

Quote Originally Posted by Plate Protector View Post

The first thing, Luke transferring had absolutely nothing to do with playing time. This was one of the first things we talked about when this situation came up.
    As you all know he was injured on opening day last year when a team mate jumped on his shoulders and pulled him to the ground. After trying to play in a couple of games the pain was just too great. They figured out with an MRI that he had a very slight vertebra fracture and inflamed muscles and tissue. He didn't throw a ball or swing a bat again until first day of fall practice so naturally he was going to be way behind everyone. Anderson who had started getting ready before the end of the spring and the freshmen who had no break in playing time at all should have been more sharp than him. He was confident that as the year progressed he would get his legs back under him and rise to the top.

Transferring had everything to do with bigger opportunity and personal regrets. When Luke committed to GS at the end of his sophomore year he was 5'9", 170lbs and a pretty good catcher getting a lot of local interest. By the end of his junior year he was 6'1", 205lbs, 2 time all county all region and a perfect game all American. We played a lot of baseball that year in many showcase tournaments at places like Clemson, Auburn, Miss. State, Ole Miss, UGA etc. Many times that year we were told by his coaches that these schools would love to talk with him if he wasn't committed already. We felt we had a bird in the hand, we HAD committed and decided to honor that commitment and said no.
    Senior year came and again all county, all region, all state, county player of the year. The MLB was in the picture by then, more interest came, Luke was ranked the #1 catcher in Ga that year, #8 overall player in the state. We stayed firm on our commitment. A lot of guys that he knew that he was ranked above went to places like Ga tech, UGA, Clemson and on and on. It always bothered me that I let him commit too early, he never said anything. In the summer last year while all the other guys were playing summer league ball, he came home and we spent a lot of time on the lake and he confided in us that he too had these "what ifs" in his mind. As a kid, he and I dreamed of playing in Omaha, winning a national championship, going to the pros like all dads and kids do. When he went back to GS this fall he felt disconnected from the team, the upper classmen he had connected with were gone, the other guys had developed relationships last season on the road, traveling, playing together, he didn't. He called me one night and said "Dad, I'm just not happy here, don't feel like a part of this team" As a dad you want the best for your son, you want him happy. We didn't want him living his life with regret, what ifs, red shirting presented an opportunity to chase those dreams and remove the what ifs.

It was a huge decision taking the risk of leaving a pretty decent scholarship at a D1 program, going to a JUCO to get back in the groove and maybe move to an SEC, ACC power 5 school after an injury. Leaving your girlfriend and your life at GS to chase a dream, especially during Christmas break. But he did, in the first week 10 JUCO schools called, the second week 6 SEC schools called. He is headed to an excellent baseball program at Walters State CC this week, will graduate in the spring and play summer ball then head to the university of South Carolina in the fall where they fully expect him to be the guy.

I said all of this to illustrate that this decision was much much bigger than "playing time" and a huge risk. Baseball is such a mental game, being happy, being in the right place, right fit for YOU these are all BIG deals. Baseball life is short you only get one shot at this thing and I believe you have to do what you think is best for you. No regrets! We are appreciative of what GS has done for Luke and wish them the very best! We have left very good friends and people we care about there. Luke is a great young man with a good heart, we hope there isn't anyone who will hold ill will towards him for trying to chase "His" dream. GATA
    well written and well said, Luke is a great kid and when he gets the "rust" off he's going to be a good one. I'll miss you guys and I'll be keeping a eye out for him. Tell him Garns understands and is pulling for him. Now if we play SC in the next free years, we're going to kick your butts!(smile)

Quote Originally Posted by Plate Protector View Post

I hate to lose Luke and your family, but I certainly understand. Thanks for taking the time to come to this board and explain your family’s position. All the best to Luke.

Thanks for the info Mr. Berryhill, it's nice to hear some "inside baseball" (haha) we rarely get that when a student athlete chooses to move on. Wish yall the best in the future (unless it's vs GS).

Well, thanks for posting PP. Hope Luke gets what he is looking for.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.