TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Men's Basketball vs Little Rock

Default Re: Men's Basketball vs Little Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    We were up 11 or 13 and the refs decided they wanted to play tonight too. This game was essentially a 38.5 minute free throw contest with 1.5 minutes of decent basketball tossed in at the end for some excitement.

We came out as flat as possible, went up by a comfortable margin and immediately got out of OUR game when the refs made some ridiculous calls. Then they really got nutty in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

I agree that UALR matched up pretty well with us but my goodness all of their uncontested threes kept them really in this game. The refs were so busy looking for ticky-tack fouls they missed UALR walking all over the floor.

Just glad to get a W out of that mess. That is a game where last year or 2 years ago we easily lose our composure after giving up the lead and waste it away and lose (like vs. ULM 2 years ago at home).
    +1. You can say all that again....so I’ll just Re-post it.
    "Losing is the most disgusting thing that you can experience...We feel we need to surround ourselves with people who feel that winning is the most important thing in the world. If you feel that way, and I do, and I think our players feel that way, then losing has got to be about the worst thing that can happen to you." Erk Russell

As atrocious as the officiating was (rivals some Greenville-based soconn football ones back in the day), it was quite impressive how the coach and the players maintained composure, stayed focused, and got it done. That was huge.
    Last edited by gsutrublu; 7th January 2018 at 07:06 AM.
    "Losing is the most disgusting thing that you can experience...We feel we need to surround ourselves with people who feel that winning is the most important thing in the world. If you feel that way, and I do, and I think our players feel that way, then losing has got to be about the worst thing that can happen to you." Erk Russell

Seems like every game we lose the officiating comes up. When Towson beat us by a hundred the refs were shaving points. The reality is that this is not a very good team. We likely finish again outside of the top 3 in what is a monster conference that is the Sun Belt. But, next year is the year.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by gsutrublu View Post
    As atrocious as the officiating was (rivals some Greenville-based soconn football ones back in the day), it was quite impressive how the coach and the players maintained composure, stayed focused, and got it done. That was huge.
    +1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Seems like every game we lose the officiating comes up. When Towson beat us by a hundred the refs were shaving points. The reality is that this is not a very good team. We likely finish again outside of the top 3 in what is a monster conference that is the Sun Belt. But, next year is the year.
    So what I think your saying is we arnt Kansas or Duke.

The officiating thing is lame. And it’s every game now. We are playing teams that never make it to March. Nobody is
    discriminating against us.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

The officiating thing is lame. And it’s every game now. We are playing teams that never make it to March. Nobody is
    Did you watch the game yesterday?

Both teams had 22 fouls called on them, the point regarding officiating last night was the refs were not consistent, at one point there letting the kids play physical then they switch to calling "ticky-tack" fouls, makes it hard for any team to get into a rhythm.

Except A) we won and B) I don't make a habit out of invoking poor referee conduct when our team plays horrendous.

Our foul shooting must improve for us to PLAN on winning games like last night. Neither team could get into any kind of flow due to that horrid display of officiating. While I only spent time describing one side of the bad calls, I feel pretty certain it cut both ways. Flanigan spent the entire 2nd half yelling at the refs and Byington clearly was displeased on a number of calls.

Byington IMO did a much better job in keeping his composure ....

Finally, the game should have been nailed shut right after Kemy Osse stepped on the sideline. He got frustrated and swung his elbow around nearly hitting our, and should have been hit with a technical. Then that ridiculous foul call on Ike.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

I was not at the game but watched it on replay. The difference this year from last is Montae. Another 10 rebound night, very active in the paint against some length. Somebody posted (trolled) that this is the same team as last year without regard to the incredible work Montae did in the offseason to transform himself into a good SunBelt inside threat. The problem is he can’t do it alone and there is no help off the bench down low. The kid from UALR that transferred from Mississippi State was a good looking player, long arms and good feet. The Fr point guard they have is a good player. I think UALR will be a 500 SunBelt team by March. We will have a chance in every game we play because we can shoot the ball. TB, Jake, Mike, Quan and Ike are all scorers and can shoot the ball. ULL and UTA will be tough matchups for us due to the inside game but I still like our chances. Looking forward to the rest of the season.