TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 85

Thread: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

  1. #1

    Default Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    I got bored this morning and put together a spreadsheet in regards to recruiting rankings and Massey rankings. Interpret however you wish.

    I took the SBC and MWC. I took 247 rankings nationally recruiting and then compiled the Massey ranking for each school at the end of that season. I would have gone back a couple more years, but GS and App were obviously FCS.


    Then, in the middle, computed the +/- between avg recruiting ranking and avg massey rating.

    In both conferences, you obviously have teams that are outliers, of course. App and Air Force are the biggest ones. Of course AF is one because of being a service academy, so they aren't really recruiting the same as the rest of CFB.

    But, even with the outliers, 70% of the schools fall within 25 spots in regards to their average recruiting ranking and average final massey rating. The average difference for the SB was +12.22 +/- and the average for the MWC was 14.7+/-. Without AF in the MWC, that number would be just under 12 +/-.


  2. #2

    Default Re: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    another thing to note, if we look at average of each conference, it looks like this:


    Avg recruiting rank per conference. SBC- 108. MWC - 94
    Avg Massey rank per conference SBC- 95 MWC 79


    So the MWC is 14 points better on average in recruiting rankings, and 16 spots better in massey rankings on average

  3. #3

    Default Re: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    Let's add 1 more to it.

    Here we have the team, followed by average conference finish in recruiting ranking, and average conference finish in massey ranking.
    App 6 1
    GS 1 4
    stAte 2 2
    TXST 3 T-10
    GaSt 9 8
    ULL 5 5
    USA 4 6
    NMSU 10 T-10
    ULM 8 9
    Idaho 11 7
    Troy 7 3


    stAte NMSU, and ULL averages the same recruiting ranking and massey ranking
    GaSt, USA and ULM were 1 spot different between recruiting and massey.
    GS was 3 off, but given how terrible Tyson Summers was as a coach, that pretty easily explains the difference.

    The conference basically only had 2 outliers in regards to over performing. Troy and App, and with TXST vastly under performing

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    25,205

    Default Re: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    How does it compare to S&P rankings?

    I'd also think it would be interesting to chart the year by year along with the average trend. That way you can see the swings.....Troy and us will have obvious changes based on coaching.


  5. #5

    Default Re: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    How does it compare to S&P rankings?

    I'd also think it would be interesting to chart the year by year along with the average trend. That way you can see the swings.....Troy and us will have obvious changes based on coaching.

    well I just stuck with 4 years so I didn't have to compile a ton of data, and because that's when we started in the Belt.
    I didn't look for the SP rankings. Massey were the only rankings easy to find for each year. I was going to use the FPI rankings, but couldn't find 2015 or 2016.

    54, 43, 101, 120 were our rankings the same 4 years which puts us at an average of 79.5, so it doesn't look like there would be much variance using S&P rankings.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    I got bored this morning and put together a spreadsheet in regards to recruiting rankings and Massey rankings. Interpret however you wish.

    I took the SBC and MWC. I took 247 rankings nationally recruiting and then compiled the Massey ranking for each school at the end of that season. I would have gone back a couple more years, but GS and App were obviously FCS.


    Then, in the middle, computed the +/- between avg recruiting ranking and avg massey rating.

    In both conferences, you obviously have teams that are outliers, of course. App and Air Force are the biggest ones. Of course AF is one because of being a service academy, so they aren't really recruiting the same as the rest of CFB.

    But, even with the outliers, 70% of the schools fall within 25 spots in regards to their average recruiting ranking and average final massey rating. The average difference for the SB was +12.22 +/- and the average for the MWC was 14.7+/-. Without AF in the MWC, that number would be just under 12 +/-.

    Shocker....
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    Like I said before, before we moved up we laughed at the idea that we couldn't compete in a non-major FBS conference because we didn't have the recruiting class rankings or a preponderance guys with FBS offers. We knew just from watching our team we could compete.

    Yet now we're getting blase over recruiting for not finishing in the top 60.

    We've done well with 2-star guys that have no FBS offers, and we'll continue to find good players the recruiting services won't rate highly and that the FBS teams don't go after. There's no reason to expect we won't continue to make good players from 2-star guys.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Like I said before, before we moved up we laughed at the idea that we couldn't compete in a non-major FBS conference because we didn't have the recruiting class rankings or a preponderance guys with FBS offers. We knew just from watching our team we could compete.

    Yet now we're getting blase over recruiting for not finishing in the top 60.

    We've done well with 2-star guys that have no FBS offers, and we'll continue to find good players the recruiting services won't rate highly and that the FBS teams don't go after. There's no reason to expect we won't continue to make good players from 2-star guys.
    Yes because it works out for virtually no FBS teams...ULM, NMSU and Idaho all have consistently inhale vigorouslyed at recruiting and they consistently have not won or won a Sun Belt CC. We are special somehow though? If you get nothing but two stars of course some have to emerge because there is nobody else. There is a reason the AAC is a borderline P5 and they have just as much coaching turn over as anyone else in the G5 and its not because they are turning two stars into good players they are just getting the best players.

    Not one person has blasted anyone for not being in the 60's the strawman population is huge on this board.You can actually post proof and people still gonna bury their heads no matter what.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Reidsville, GA
    Posts
    1,314

    Default Re: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Yes because it works out for virtually no FBS teams...ULM, NMSU and Idaho all have consistently inhale vigorouslyed at recruiting and they consistently have not won or won a Sun Belt CC. We are special somehow though? If you get nothing but two stars of course some have to emerge because there is nobody else. There is a reason the AAC is a borderline P5 and they have just as much coaching turn over as anyone else in the G5 and its not because they are turning two stars into good players they are just getting the best players.

    Not one person has blasted anyone for not being in the 60's the strawman population is huge on this board.You can actually post proof and people still gonna bury their heads no matter what.
    He meant what he typed: blase, as in bored/underwhelmed in a spoiled manner. In other words, we've had so many go recruiting classes that one ranked at #87 doesn't elicit any excitement.

    In all honesty, I don't think anyone really strongly disagrees with your position, just your over-caffeinated approach to it. Obviously recruiting is very important, but so is positional coaching, gameplanning, administrative efficiency (think APR), and continuity. Our highly ranked recruiting classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016 won't count for beans if we can't get some stability and competence in the coaching department (I think we did with Lunsford and his staff, but we'll have to wait and see). App State, meanwhile, continues to pull in lower-ranked classes than we do, but because they seemingly handled the FBS transition so much better (in terms of roster management) and have held on to their coaches, they are more successful on the field.
    Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music 2009
    Master of Music 2012
    Reidsville, GA



  10. #10

    Default Re: Some Recruiting Rankings v Massey Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by spdrumline View Post
    He meant what he typed: blase, as in bored/underwhelmed in a spoiled manner. In other words, we've had so many go recruiting classes that one ranked at #87 doesn't elicit any excitement.

    In all honesty, I don't think anyone really strongly disagrees with your position, just your over-caffeinated approach to it. Obviously recruiting is very important, but so is positional coaching, gameplanning, administrative efficiency (think APR), and continuity. Our highly ranked recruiting classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016 won't count for beans if we can't get some stability and competence in the coaching department (I think we did with Lunsford and his staff, but we'll have to wait and see). App State, meanwhile, continues to pull in lower-ranked classes than we do, but because they seemingly handled the FBS transition so much better (in terms of roster management) and have held on to their coaches, they are more successful on the field.
    You nailed it.
    Cameron Smith
    GS Student 2007-2011
    GS Fanatic 2007-the end of time

Similar Threads

  1. Recruiting Rankings
    By half-n-half in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11th August 2017, 02:15 PM
  2. OUR and YOUR 1st Sun Belt Recruiting Rankings
    By Charlie K. in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th February 2014, 07:01 PM
  3. Massey Rankings
    By Eaglebacker in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th October 2010, 12:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •