• C-

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grade the recruiting class

Default Re: Grade the recruiting class

Quote Originally Posted by GSU2011fan View Post
    Why not have Williams at LB? I think having a guy so highly rated there would be huge. We need some nice size and speed back there.
    Only reason I'm not penciling him in at LB is that he's already at 240 lbs.; any more weight and he may outgrow his ability to cover sideline to sideline. And there's always that freshman 15-20 lbs. - he'll undoubtedly gain some weight and bulk moving from his HS weight room to an FBS S&C program.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

Anyone else remember when we used to laugh at Ben Moore and others for using the term "FBS recruits" and the majority of us knew that we'd be able to make a big splash in our first year in FBS if the coaching was there? Most of us weren't really intimidated taking a team that didn't even have ten guys with at least one 3-star rating into a league of teams that had more.

Now that we've got a roster with 30+ people with 3-star composite ratings people seem to think the prospect of competing are grim and limited because we're in the 90s with recruiting class ratings. Why?

Do people think we're going to stop getting the bang for our buck we usually get on the two-star guys with limited FBS offers just because we're FBS?
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

3. Default Re: Grade the recruiting class

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

Do people think we're going to stop getting the bang for our buck we usually get on the two-star guys with limited FBS offers just because we're FBS?
    Recruitment is critical. But Imo at the end of the day it all boils down to coaching. 2018 recruitment A-

This is all speculation and guesses until 2022. How about we vote on the 2014 recruiting class?

No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    Only reason I'm not penciling him in at LB is that he's already at 240 lbs.; any more weight and he may outgrow his ability to cover sideline to sideline. And there's always that freshman 15-20 lbs. - he'll undoubtedly gain some weight and bulk moving from his HS weight room to an FBS S&C program.
    That's not always a given, though. IIRC, Dion Dubose was leaner and meaner as a senior than as a HS player.

When I look at players recruited for this specific position (Jack OLB or DE), I try to project their future position based on how well they run in their HS film. For instance, Demterice Lofton is likely to play OLB, while Josh Johnson will probably stay at DE. Raymond Johnson III could probably go either way.

I think a lot of what happens to a player's weight/bulk results from the decision about what position he'll play. The two Johnsons would both want 25-30 more pounds to maximize their potential at DE, for instance.

As far as Quin goes, I think he could go either way. He was definitely a DE in our former defense.

H-Back, though . . . I wonder whether we'll see a guy like Randy Wade end up there?
    Last edited by pete4256; 9th February 2018 at 12:04 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

I voted a B+ because I think Lunsford did a really good job getting the players he was sure about in the early period, and then bringing in a good group of athletes overall.

IMO, the only thing to question is whether we met all of our needs. We needed DBs, but . . .

We didn't get an H-Back.
    We got one ILB.
    We got one RB.
    We got one QB.

This means that we cannot whiff at all with the players we signed at these positions, and that our current players will have to up their games.

I'm concerned about ILB, where we'll need the guys who've already played to play better, and we'll need Tre Allen to be as good as he can be. If he and Ferguson bust, we could be in trouble.

At RB, we'll have to sign several in 2019. We took a question mark and added him to a group that's already full of question marks. Since we'll often roll with two backs at the same time, I would have liked another.

At QB, we got a good one (I think). But I would've liked a couple more.

H-Back is a real issue.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    They're giving an A+ based on the situation of where we are at this moment and how the staff performed.

A class ranked this low nationally next year would not get the same rating, but then again we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now.

Eventually we should get to where we have an expectation of what our recruiting classes should look like. We were headed that way before the unmitigated disaster we just went through. We had to reset, and as part of that you have to reset how you evaluate things.
    This. Some people are likely interpreting the question as grading the class itself in a vacuum, while others are grading the performance of the staff considering all of the handicaps they were working under. Class in a vacuum: B-/C+. Performance of staff: A+.

P.S.: this is what is wrong with polling in many situations. False choices or vague wording can lead to misleading results. (No offense to OP).

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I voted a B+ because I think Lunsford did a really good job getting the players he was sure about in the early period, and then bringing in a good group of athletes overall.

IMO, the only thing to question is whether we met all of our needs. We needed DBs, but . . .

We didn't get an H-Back.
    We got one ILB.
    We got one RB.
    We got one QB.

This means that we cannot whiff at all with the players we signed at these positions, and that our current players will have to up their games.

I'm concerned about ILB, where we'll need the guys who've already played to play better, and we'll need Tre Allen to be as good as he can be. If he and Ferguson bust, we could be in trouble.

At RB, we'll have to sign several in 2019. We took a question mark and added him to a group that's already full of question marks. Since we'll often roll with two backs at the same time, I would have liked another.

At QB, we got a good one (I think). But I would've liked a couple more.

H-Back is a real issue.
    I still don't buy into the idea we won't have a guy who can play H-back. Just looking at how much better Ellis Richardson and Ross Alexander were towards the end of last season to me shows that problem with that position was coaching and not ability. I just want a guy in the 6'2" 240 pound range who is cerebral. And in our offense the H-back can get wide open and doesn't even have to catch a 50 mile-an-hour dart.

Inside linebacker, I sort of agree, but that's all the more reason why Williams should be at linebacker. IMO he can probably play any of the linebacker positions as needed.

RB I agree, I wish we had gotten one more. For this year at least I feel better about having a capable backup to Fields.

QB I'm not at all worried about.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 9th February 2018 at 12:51 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I still don't buy into the idea we won't have a guy who can play H-back. Just looking at how much better Ellis Richardson and Ross Alexander were towards the end of last season to me shows that problem with that position was coaching and not ability. I just want a guy in the 6'2" 240 pound range who is cerebral. And in our offense the H-back can get wide open and doesn't even have to catch a 50 mile-an-hour dart.

Inside linebacker, I sort of agree, but that's all the more reason why Williams should be at linebacker. IMO he can probably play any of the linebacker positions as needed.

RB I agree, I wish we had gotten one more. For this year at least I feel better about having a capable backup to Fields.

QB I'm not at all worried about.
    If there's one thing I learned in 2016-17, it's that H-Back isn't a plug and play position.

It may not require a lot of athletic skill (though it kinda does), but it demands a considerable amount of technique. It's like playing T and A-Back at the same time. That ain't easy.

Quin Williams looks much more like an OLB than an ILB to me, but you never know. Rashad Byrd was limping around all last year. If that explains the difference in speed between the guy on HS film and the LB we saw in 2017 (and it's something he can recover from), then I'll feel much better about that position group.
    Last edited by pete4256; 9th February 2018 at 01:18 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

10. Default Re: Grade the recruiting class

There's absolutely no way CCL and staff deserve anything less than an A+. CCL and staff weren't completely in place when recruiting started, so they had to come in going 100 mph selling a school they weren't employed with for long. Not to mention, we just finished putting on a 2 year historic crap show, and yet some are just "meh?" Gee, can't please everyone.