TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MBB: ULM @ Eagles

Default Re: MBB: ULM @ Eagles

4 Sunbelt games last night. 2 in Georgia, 2 in Alabama. We had the lowest attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Did anybody hear Byington's post game comments? I missed it, but I am curious because after the StAte loss he said they really needed to get home and that should help improve the teams performance.
    To paraphrase him he said, foul shooting killed us along with a lack of focus in all phases of the game. In his opinion we played a terrible game from beginning to end and it's his job to get them better "focused"(I'm not sure what he means by focused). It appears GagSt is focused and we will see how focused LALA is coming off their spanking at the hands of GagSt. All I know the last 2 weeks started "crunch time" and how you can't get focused for this stretch of the season I don't know( I have some ideas but I'll probably keep them to myself). Again, IMO, heck, we're playing solid defense but the terrible INCONSISTENT shooting is killing us. A couple examples, Jake starts game off by missing his first SIX shots. At end of game, to basically win the game, Ike has a wide open, uncontested corner "3" and misses. You all know my man crush for Tookie, yes, he had 5 assists but IMO played his worse game in 3 years. So I don't know, it's highly frustrating. And ya, 1500 at the game is embarrassing. Such a bad night one of the refs came over to me after my "dance" and said "I've seen better, just want you to know, you've done better".(true story). I guess we were all off last night.

Here is how Georgia Southern ranks in the sun belt.
    Field goal attempts per game: 1st. Field Goal Percentage: tied for last
    Three point attempts per game: Tied for 3rd Three point percentage:8th
    Free throw attempts per game: 1st Free throw percentage: 10th
    Rebounds per game: 2nd
    Assist per game: last

This is all inexcusable. We are taking more shots than anybody in the league and missing at a higher percentage than anybody in the league. Being last in assist shows the lack of creativity in the offense. We are not moving the ball around to open players to take shots. On the rare occasion we do find an open guy we are missing the shot. We are leaving so many points at the free throw line. We have lost a lot of close games that we could have won by just being pretty bad instead of terrible at the line. This isn't something new. Byington's teams have consistently been bad at shooting free throws. Since moving to the sun belt Georgia Southern has ranked 10th, 5th, and 7th in free throw percentage. This team is not going to win the conference. This team is so talented but has been mediocre at best and the stats show that. I hope all this changes but right now I'm not optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post

This is all inexcusable. We are taking more shots than anybody in the league and missing at a higher percentage than anybody in the league. Being last in assist shows the lack of creativity in the offense. We are not moving the ball around to open players to take shots. On the rare occasion we do find an open guy we are missing the shot. We are leaving so many points at the free throw line. We have lost a lot of close games that we could have won by just being pretty bad instead of terrible at the line. This isn't something new. Byington's teams have consistently been bad at shooting free throws. Since moving to the sun belt Georgia Southern has ranked 10th, 5th, and 7th in free throw percentage. This team is not going to win the conference. This team is so talented but has been mediocre at best and the stats show that. I hope all this changes but right now I'm not optimistic.
    WOW! You don’t have to be a Coach K or John Wooden to see why we are where we are.
    I don’t pretend to know the answer but we have to do better in several areas if we want to be at the top of the Sunbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post

So what your saying is we are shooting like crap?(smile).

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    So what your saying is we are shooting like crap?(smile).
    shot selection has a lot do do with us shooting like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    shot selection has a lot do do with us shooting like crap.
    in this modern day it's a inside out game and when it gets kicked out or swung over and your sitting there scot free you better hit it at a good percentage. I do agree we will fire up shots way out of a comfortable range and this adds to the poor %. I'd like to see us swing the ball more than going into that 3 man weave we always run, a passed ball travels faster than a dribbled ball.

I sure hope we can find our shooting touch soon. It’s not so bad when 1 or 2 players have a couple games here or there with an off night but we’ve had 2 or 3 players with a month’s worth of bad shooting.

Just like there are coaches that make great in-game adjustments to help the players succeed, some are fantastic at game to game adjustments. CMB is struggling at both. IMO, his greatest opportunities for growth as a coach are with Offensive philosophy (higher shooting % and better assist-to-turnover ratio) and in-game adjustments.

Some up and coming coaches go visit a mentor or seek out a more accomplished coach to pick their brain. It happens a little more so in Football. I’d like to see him ask Gonzaga HC Mark Few to offer him advisement or Virginia’s Tony Bennett.

Somethings gotta change for us to take that next step.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    I sure hope we can find our shooting touch soon. It’s not so bad when 1 or 2 players have a couple games here or there with an off night but we’ve had 2 or 3 players with a month’s worth of bad shooting.

Just like there are coaches that make great in-game adjustments to help the players succeed, some are fantastic at game to game adjustments. CMB is struggling at both. IMO, his greatest opportunities for growth as a coach are with Offensive philosophy (higher shooting % and better assist-to-turnover ratio) and in-game adjustments.

Some up and coming coaches go visit a mentor or seek out a more accomplished coach to pick their brain. It happens a little more so in Football. I’d like to see him ask Gonzaga HC Mark Few to offer him advisement or Virginia’s Tony Bennett.

Somethings gotta change for us to take that next step.
    Byington is a great recruiter. Getting the talent he got to Georgia Southern is not something easy to do. But this team should not be struggling like this and it should not look like the same thing every time.

Tookie cannot carry the team on his back every night, though he tries. Ike has struggled pretty bad passing the ball this year and made a lot of unforced turnovers. It is pretty disappointing in a year where McConnell is finally showing some flashes of confidence, and Glenn has developed, that Jake's shooting has taken a turn south. Hughes is playing a little bit better after a relatively poor junior year. At times I think Quan should be getting a few more minutes at Ike's expense, especially as he handles the ball and passing better, and after Ike's season last year I'd never thought I'd be saying that.

Right now, this team's shooting is relatively horrid and it has nearly impacted them all. We are jacking up bad looks WAY beyond the 3 point arc, and pretty much losing because of it and the poor free throw %'s.

About the only hope in the tournament will be for us to have all but one or two of our guys regain their shooting stroke, AND play some defense. We all know Louisiana is going to come into Hanner tomorrow night angry about getting whipped in Atlanta.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.