TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: MBB: Louisiana @ Eagles

Default Re: MBB: Louisiana @ Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    That is why I posted awhile back, Tookie will have to be told by CB, "Tookie from opening tip, Light it up".

Now you see why I said Tookie doesn’t have Elton’s “fire”? Elton Nesbitt never had to be told “light it up tonight”.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Now you see why I said Tookie doesn’t have Elton’s “fire”? Elton Nesbitt never had to be told “light it up tonight”.
    +1

I still wouldn't call it "fire", I'd call it "gunner mentality", being a point all your life then switching to a mindset of a gunning "2" I think goes against his basketball "grain", thus CB needs to tell him/give him the go ahead. Just my thoughts on it. But I agree Half, Tookie has to take over. I'd have a different opinion if Jake were hitting 45% from the field, Mike shooting 42%, Ike, 44% etc but their all shooting in the low 30's. So I'd rather see Tookie become a "one man show" and I honestly think it's the best option because the way this team is currently playing, we've seen this act before and we know how it turns out. If CB allows it or Tookie does it on his own can you imagine the fireworks Friday night with Tookie and Simonds, WOW, buckle up.

I like talking basketball. I see an 8 man rotation and do like ULM and have 5 guards on the court at one time. I love switching Quan to start and I would put him on Simond’s, force him to drive and kick. The wing D has got to stay on their man and block out if Simonds puts up the shot. If his kick out is covered it will make it more difficult for him to score and carry the load. They killed us with 3’s up there by collapsing our defense and then easy kick outs for 3. On offense, we have got to find a way to make him guard somebody other than TB and make him work. Swing the ball and drive on him forcing him to foul. I think Quan is the key here as well. Quan has really improved every aspect of his game and Ike in essence said so on Monday night. We will not be able to zone this crowd a lot unless we do something with Simonds. Diamond and one, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    I like talking basketball. I see an 8 man rotation and do like ULM and have 5 guards on the court at one time. I love switching Quan to start and I would put him on Simond’s, force him to drive and kick. The wing D has got to stay on their man and block out if Simonds puts up the shot. If his kick out is covered it will make it more difficult for him to score and carry the load. They killed us with 3’s up there by collapsing our defense and then easy kick outs for 3. On offense, we have got to find a way to make him guard somebody other than TB and make him work. Swing the ball and drive on him forcing him to foul. I think Quan is the key here as well. Quan has really improved every aspect of his game and Ike in essence said so on Monday night. We will not be able to zone this crowd a lot unless we do something with Simonds. Diamond and one, etc.
    good plan, but CB will go with our switching man to man defense. If Hunter is smart like the ULM coach, he can create the match up he wants with Simonds. Have the GASTATE player that is being guarded by the targeted defender and have them set a screen for Simmons. The targeted defender will then switch and be guarding Simonds. ULM did it all night long with Jake.

So you want to see Byington actually put together a game plan and a strategy? I wouldn’t hold your breath. It will be more of the same.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

I like the diamond or box on one idea defensively and Tookie/one man show offensively.

So you want to see Byington actually put together a game plan and a strategy? I wouldn’t hold your breath. It will be more of the same.
    So Half, I take it you've soured on CB. Don't worry I think after Tookie and Ike graduate CB will be moving on. I have no proof of that, just a gut feeling. Got to be hard when your a HC and have to start flapping your arms up and down in attempt to get student body up and on their feet to get loud. I think the first "basketball school" that comes calling he may go and I wouldn't blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    So Half, I take it you've soured on CB. Don't worry I think after Tookie and Ike graduate CB will be moving on. I have no proof of that, just a gut feeling. Got to be hard when your a HC and have to start flapping your arms up and down in attempt to get student body up and on their feet to get loud. I think the first "basketball school" that comes calling he may go and I wouldn't blame him.

He better get that next job when Tookie, Ike, and Glenn graduate or else it might not be coming for a while. If he can't get over the hump with this group then it probably aint happening. And I wouldn't blame him at all for moving on when the first basketball school comes calling, but he's not doing anything to make that phone ring right now.

I "soured" on Byington a long time ago, but I kept holding out hope that he was going to improve. We were atleast winning and he was a young head coach so I gave him a lot of leeway. But the problem is he isn't improving. Last year was a disappointing ending so this year was a "show me" year and he hasn't shown me anything but more of the same. Zero creativity. Zero game specific strategy. Zero feel for the game and how to coach in game. Zero fire. Zero ability to work the officials. He is what he is....a good recruiter and decent coach. We will never have a bad team with him at the helm nor a great team.

He better get that next job when Tookie, Ike, and Glenn graduate or else it might not be coming for a while. If he can't get over the hump with this group then it probably aint happening. And I wouldn't blame him at all for moving on when the first basketball school comes calling, but he's not doing anything to make that phone ring right now.

I "soured" on Byington a long time ago, but I kept holding out hope that he was going to improve. We were atleast winning and he was a young head coach so I gave him a lot of leeway. But the problem is he isn't improving. Last year was a disappointing ending so this year was a "show me" year and he hasn't shown me anything but more of the same. Zero creativity. Zero game specific strategy. Zero feel for the game and how to coach in game. Zero fire. Zero ability to work the officials. He is what he is....a good recruiter and decent coach. We will never have a bad team with him at the helm nor a great team.
    Half is right on the money. Driving home from the last game, my kid said "when are we going to get a new coach? I like him but it's the same thing every year" I said no time soon. CB will always win enough games not to get fired, but he won't win enough games for a bigger school to steal him away. We will always be in the middle of the pack to the top 3rd, never at the top or at the bottom.
    CB needs to go out and hire him a strong bench coach and let him run that part of the program.