TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact True Freshmen

Default Re: Impact True Freshmen

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Depends on what his body does. Remember Brieda was thought of as a 160 lb change of pace back after his (also wasted) freshman year. Same thing for McKinnon. Now I’m not saying that Kennedy will be able to bulk up like those two did, but if he does then he can be the every down back that they became.

As for the short yardage back....Fields. He’s an every down back.
    Yeah, but he got pounded last year. I'd like to see someone else take hits in those situations.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Yeah, but he got pounded last year. I'd like to see someone else take hits in those situations.
    I'm sure we will find the Wright back to use in that situation.

Imo redshirt as many as possible. Unless they can make an immediate impact it's best to keep their eligibility intact for the long term without compromising future sustainability.

It’s also an opportunity to break a long run. We saw it with Brieda multiple times. Also he doesn’t get pounded as much if the OL actually does this thing called blocking. If that doesn’t improve then it doesn’t matter who is the short yardage back.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

It’s also an opportunity to break a long run. We saw it with Brieda multiple times. Also he doesn’t get pounded as much if the OL actually does this thing called blocking. If that doesn’t improve then it doesn’t matter who is the short yardage back.
    It's not about that. It's about spreading out carries and saving wear and tear. Would you have willingly given all of Ramsby's tough carries in 2014-16 to Breida?

If we're going to run the ball 60+ times a game, we're gonna need a stable of backs with different skills. We've got speed backs, but Fields at (maybe) 200 is the heaviest RB we've got who's ever played a down of college football. I want to see Montgomery or one of the Wrights emerge as someone who can run down by the goal line.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash

It's not about that. It's about spreading out carries and saving wear and tear. Would you have willingly given all of Ramsby's tough carries in 2014-16 to Breida?

If we're going to run the ball 60+ times a game, we're gonna need a stable of backs with different skills. We've got speed backs, but Fields at (maybe) 200 is the heaviest RB we've got who's ever played a down of college football. I want to see Montgomery or one of the Wrights emerge as someone who can run down by the goal line.

Honestly yes I would have liked to see Brieda get more carries in 2014 and 2015 and Ramsby less.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Honestly yes I would have liked to see Brieda get more carries in 2014 and 2015 and Ramsby less.
    So, what you're saying is that you would have just "pushed the Breida button"?

Seriously, though, I would have liked for Breida to get more snaps but the same number of touches.

IMO, we should have spread touches much more than we did in 2017. Ramsby, Fields, and Werts took a beating.
    Last edited by pete4256; 27th February 2018 at 12:30 PM.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash

8. Default Re: Impact True Freshmen

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Imo redshirt as many as possible. Unless they can make an immediate impact it's best to keep their eligibility intact for the long term without compromising future sustainability.
    IMO future sustainability will come from the success of this staff recruiting another top class next year, and one after that, etc... If these freshmen can help us be more successful this year then I say play as many as we need. Plus, any freshmen that makes an impact on the field might help influence top recruits that might just sit on the shelf for 2-3 years at a P5 program.

So, what you're saying is that you would have just "pushed the Breida button"?

Seriously, though, I would have liked for Breida to get more snaps but the same number of touches.

IMO, we should have spread touches much more than we did in 2017. Ramsby, Fields, and Werts took a beating.

I mean I’ve already said we should be able to find 3 RB’s out of our current crop for a reason. Because that’s how many we will need. But what I don’t want to see is a “lesser” back getting a lot of touches one game just because he is labeled as a short yardage back and we find ourselves in that situation a lot one game.

10. Default Re: Impact True Freshmen

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    IMO future sustainability will come from the success of this staff recruiting another top class next year, and one after that, etc... If these freshmen can help us be more successful this year then I say play as many as we need. Plus, any freshmen that makes an impact on the field might help influence top recruits that might just sit on the shelf for 2-3 years at a P5 program.
    The future of recruiting has changed, we will see a lot more freshmen playing, this is how we leverage ourselves against P5’s... you my man, you get it!! Well done!!