TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact True Freshmen

Default Re: Impact True Freshmen

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    So, what you're saying is that you would have just "pushed the Breida button"?

Seriously, though, I would have liked for Breida to get more snaps but the same number of touches.

IMO, we should have spread touches much more than we did in 2017. Ramsby, Fields, and Werts took a beating.
    When you have a guy setting an NCAA All Division record for Career YPC then yea.....you give him the damn rock.

Just like you ride AP like it's going out of style.

Winning this year is extremely important....no joke. We need to get back into that habit. If we have some freshman who will give us that then go with them. Pull the trigger coach GATA.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    IMO future sustainability will come from the success of this staff recruiting another top class next year, and one after that, etc... If these freshmen can help us be more successful this year then I say play as many as we need. Plus, any freshmen that makes an impact on the field might help influence top recruits that might just sit on the shelf for 2-3 years at a P5 program.
    Quote Originally Posted by AceEagle View Post
    The future of recruiting has changed, we will see a lot more freshmen playing, this is how we leverage ourselves against P5’s... you my man, you get it!! Well done!!
    If we are playing 'impact' freshmen its because we have recruited very well and they should be on the field, regardless of who else is on the roster. No matter how you slice it they only get four years to play...

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

If a kid is ready to play and contribute then play him. But please don't lose a redshirt to put a kid on kick off coverage!

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    If a kid is ready to play and contribute then play him. But please don't lose a redshirt to put a kid on kick off coverage!
    This.

6. Default Re: Impact True Freshmen

+1

If its just a few times I agree, but if its a season long thing, I really don't mind. Special teams can be a game changer. Also, it allows players to get used to the game speed of college. That helps guys get ready if they are called on in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    If we are playing 'impact' freshmen its because we have recruited very well and they should be on the field, regardless of who else is on the roster. No matter how you slice it they only get four years to play...
    and/or it's because we haven't recruited very well in previous years.

If a freshman is truly an impact player and will immediately contribute to a winning season, by all means play him. But I agree don't waste eligibility on special teams or mop up duties.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    When you have a guy setting an NCAA All Division record for Career YPC then yea.....you give him the damn rock.

Just like you ride AP like it's going out of style.

Except one of the reasons he had the high YPC is because he was used correctly. L.A. was just as good in short-yardage situations as Breida, so save Breida eighty-odd carries over the course of the season by letting L.A. contribute his own special abilities.

I'm not sure you all noticed, but Breida got worn down over the course of 2014 and 2015.

And y'all like to reference AP, but you don't remember that situation accurately, either. He wasn't getting Herschel Walker carries. AP didn't get more than 22 or 23 carries very often. Part of that is because PJ got him out of the game early. In close games in which his carries mounted, though, he was spelled by Sullivan, Coley, and Ford over the course of his career.

Now AP DID get all the short yardage carries, but that's because he was basically unstoppable in those situations.

In 1986-1989, we had one of the best two or three RBs in the country, Joe Ross. He was powerful and fast. He was significantly better than Ernest Thompson. But Thompson was just as good in short yardage situations, so Erk let ET take those hits. Joe got enough punishment playing B-Back.

In other words, you all act like I'm proposing some crazy idea of finding a power back to round out what we have returning, which is Fields and Garrett. If you can't admit the desirability for Montgomery or one of the Wrights to elevate their games enough to push for PT, there's no way for us to agree.

Please explain how finding a short yardage back who's as effective as Ramsby would be a bad thing.
    Last edited by pete4256; 28th February 2018 at 11:51 AM.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings