TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact True Freshmen

Default Re: Impact True Freshmen

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Except one of the reasons he had the high YPC is because he was used correctly. L.A. was just as good in short-yardage situations as Breida, so save Breida eighty-odd carries over the course of the season by letting L.A. contribute his own special abilities.

I'm not sure you all noticed, but Breida got worn down over the course of 2014 and 2015.

And y'all like to reference AP, but you don't remember that situation accurately, either. He wasn't getting Herschel Walker carries. AP didn't get more than 22 or 23 carries very often. Part of that is because PJ got him out of the game early. In close games in which his carries mounted, though, he was spelled by Sullivan, Coley, and Ford over the course of his career.

Now AP DID get all the short yardage carries, but that's because he was basically unstoppable in those situations.

In 1986-1989, we had one of the best two or three RBs in the country, Joe Ross. He was powerful and fast. He was significantly better than Ernest Thompson. But Thompson was just as good in short yardage situations, so Erk let ET take those hits. Joe got enough punishment playing B-Back.

In other words, you all act like I'm proposing some crazy idea of finding a power back to round out what we have returning, which is Fields and Garrett. If you can't admit the desirability for Montgomery or one of the Wrights to elevate their games enough to push for PT, there's no way for us to agree.

Please explain how finding a short yardage back who's as effective as Ramsby would be a bad thing.
    I think they difference of perception is you're FINDING a short yardage back. But I think the confusion lies in FINDING or FORCING a short yardage back. If there's someone on the roster that can fill that role well, then they should absolutely get those touches. But I wouldn't just designate player X to be a short yardage back for sake of having one if they don't fill that role well. Not saying that's what you're suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BossDev/Eagle View Post
    I think they difference of perception is you're FINDING a short yardage back. But I think the confusion lies in FINDING or FORCING a short yardage back. If there's someone on the roster that can fill that role well, then they should absolutely get those touches. But I wouldn't just designate player X to be a short yardage back for sake of having one if they don't fill that role well. Not saying that's what you're suggesting.

That's not what I'm suggesting. I only hope that one of the bigger backs is eventually good enough to take some of those carries. I don't want to see any RB get 20+ carries unless we're playing Furman or an SEC team and the game is tight.

Keep 'em healthy, keep 'em fresh. Extend the shelf life. Even the ultra-retrogressive PJ has adopted this practice.

It's somewhat different when you have an AP or an AD--a back that gets more dominant as the game goes along. But even that guy needs breaks. Save some of his juice for the fourth quarter.

In other words, we've got plenty of speed backs. I'm sold on Fields as a #1, with Walker as another all-around IZ runner. I believe that Garrett, Laroche, and probably Kennedy (if he plays any RB) are home run hitters who can break long runs in SBC games.

In order to have a more versatile backfield, though, we ideally want a power back to step up his game. That's probably why we pursued Cunningham so aggressively. DeBesse had a RB at UNM named Richard McQuarley, who played three years at UNM and had 287 carries for 1358 yards and 31 TDs. Aside from him, UNM fielded 185-190 lb sprinters. McQuarley did the heavy lifting, like Ramsby.

I'll "boldly" predict that one of our bigger RBs moves to H-Back this offseason. That puts even more pressure on the remainder. If they aren't good enough to demand carries, then so be it. But we'll be a better offense if one of them is. I suppose most people are confident in Logan Wright, but his HS film simply doesn't show him finishing very many short runs (gotta get those big gainers on there!).

We have a similar situation with regard to footspeed at WR. Just because I want Ford and Bargnare to be good doesn't mean I'm criticizing any of the current WRs. They're a skillful group, but not particularly fast for a team that will be throwing off play action and running a lot of vertical routes. Nor are there many of them who can take a WR screen to the house at any time.
    Last edited by pete4256; 28th February 2018 at 12:52 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

3. Default Re: Impact True Freshmen

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    If we are playing 'impact' freshmen its because we have recruited very well and they should be on the field, regardless of who else is on the roster. No matter how you slice it they only get four years to play...
    Let’s make a bet to compare the percentage of redshirt freshmen of the past to the current direction we’re heading. I would love to bet one year season tickets after a 3-4 evaluation...

Like I said earlier, the future of recruiting is playing younger guys more. They may not start but they will see the field.

If you haven't watched hudl film of C.J. Wright, I encourage you to do so. He is an absolute beast. By far and away, the most impressive of all our recruits on film.

C.J. is a state champion in weightlifting who squats 700 lbs. and benches 515. And he's incredibly quick and agile for 285 lbs. Watch him destroy double teams, make tackles on opposite sidelines, body slam ball carriers! And he carries the ball like a runaway bulldozer.

C.J. can play right away on defense and goal line situations as a lead blocker or William Perry Refrigerator Package. This guy is one of the most "special" recruits I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    If you haven't watched hudl film of C.J. Wright, I encourage you to do so. He is an absolute beast. By far and away, the most impressive of all our recruits on film.

C.J. is a state champion in weightlifting who squats 700 lbs. and benches 515. And he's incredibly quick and agile for 285 lbs. Watch him destroy double teams, make tackles on opposite sidelines, body slam ball carriers! And he carries the ball like a runaway bulldozer.

C.J. can play right away on defense and goal line situations as a lead blocker or William Perry Refrigerator Package. This guy is one of the most "special" recruits I can recall.
    Very excited by this kid. It's easy to get excited about this staff with us going back to the Fritz-like emphasis on technique and scheme with some of the raw talent coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by cmaxwellgsu View Post
    Very excited by this kid. It's easy to get excited about this staff with us going back to the Fritz-like emphasis on technique and scheme with some of the raw talent coming in.
    You need people who know it, in order to teach it, and I think (hope) that has changed with the new batch of coaches.

One other thing. C.J. could be the strongest player on the team when he reports as a true freshman this summer. And if you watch the film, you'll quickly notice he doesn't appear to let up - keeps blocking and grinding the entire time. He's something.

Yeah, he's exciting. I don't think he'll unseat anyone on the DL in 2018, though. But who knows?
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

One other thing. C.J. could be the strongest player on the team when he reports as a true freshman this summer. And if you watch the film, you'll quickly notice he doesn't appear to let up - keeps blocking and grinding the entire time. He's something.
    Calm down Mr. Wright, we are all excited to see your son in blue and white

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    You need people who know it, in order to teach it, and I think (hope) that has changed with the new batch of coaches.
    I'm optimistic that's the case since Lunsford is bringing back much of that staff's game day organization. Being fundamentally sound and playing smart was the cornerstone of that staff, so I'm glad to see him mimic a lot of it so far.