TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

Default Re: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

How many years we been waiting for Savannah to get on board.

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    The articles were negative because we were the worst team in the country in 2017 lmao
    There’s a difference between being critical and taking shots. He took shots!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Would rather have someone neutral writing for SMN. You need that outsiders view sometimes, but they also don't need to view Georgia Southern as an "also played today" type team and definitely don't need to be antagonistic to the fanbase.

I expect a homer beat writer at the Statesboro Herald, but not the SMN.
    Of course, some people think it's being a homer to expect to not look so bad against Auburn.

After that game I knew our team was in deep trouble. Seeing someone write in the paper basically saying we're being delusional to want to compete better with an SEC kind of rubs me the wrong way.

And of course the people who were worried were absolutely correct because we can tell the difference between a bad Georgia Southern team and a good one whether we're playing Savannah State or a top SEC team.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    I think people didn't like him because he was always contradicting himself. Hard to have any credibility when you're changing your opinion with the wind without an explanation.
    Care to share some examples?

If you are a sports journalist, you write about sports, and maybe the atmosphere at the events. You don't write about the fanbase's flaws. You sure as heck don't write bad things about the fanbase that will be the ones reading your articles. Too many journalist these days are writing click bait articles. I would rather have a reporter that is referred for writing a good article, not one who gets by on "can you believe what this guy wrote" articles.
    Now that being said, Nathan seems like an alright guy, and I wish him the best in his future endeavours. With TV and social media, true written journalism is fading. When you seem to find a good journalist, they always seem to be behind some subscription page.
    Last edited by AcctEagle221; 27th February 2018 at 03:54 PM.

The issue is that SMN requires their reporters to also write columns. Deen's reporting was objective as it could be. Summers was really good to Deen but Deen still asked him questions. Somebody tweeted at him once that he should be willing to talk about Summers to his face. Deen responded, "He knows how I feel and we get along fine." I thought that was a good point.

But Deen also called things the way he saw them. As it did with a lot of people, his opinion Summers changed. He wrote early 2016 that Summers needed time, later in 2016 when he saw that it wasn't getting any better he changed his mind. Russ Brown did the same thing on the Bill Shanks show when talking about Summers. His "shots" at Georgia Southern were in columns when he is required to give his opinion. They weren't shots and they did not crossover to his articles. People criticized Don Heath for the same thing. If you get mad when somebody criticizes your program or fan culture in an article then your thin skin is probably the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    How many years we been waiting for Savannah to get on board.
    In 5 years Savannah will be on board. All the Armstrong students will have graduated/moved on and all 8k+ in attendance there will be True Blue eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    The issue is that SMN requires their reporters to also write columns. Deen's reporting was objective as it could be. Summers was really good to Deen but Deen still asked him questions. Somebody tweeted at him once that he should be willing to talk about Summers to his face. Deen responded, "He knows how I feel and we get along fine." I thought that was a good point.

But Deen also called things the way he saw them. As it did with a lot of people, his opinion Summers changed. He wrote early 2016 that Summers needed time, later in 2016 when he saw that it wasn't getting any better he changed his mind. Russ Brown did the same thing on the Bill Shanks show when talking about Summers. His "shots" at Georgia Southern were in columns when he is required to give his opinion. They weren't shots and they did not crossover to his articles. People criticized Don Heath for the same thing. If you get mad when somebody criticizes your program or fan culture in an article then your thin skin is probably the issue.
    So, if I title one column “Summers is the right man for the job” and only a month later write a column arguing that he needs to be fired, do I still have credibility, too?

There was a huge difference between Deen and Heath. Heath covered the program for more than two decades, and he knew what he was talking about.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    Care to share some examples?
    Here's one, TS is "The right man for the job" a month or so later "TS needs to go". I didn't see that one had been covered. How about, "Expectations are too high" and then next article talk about how we should have handled the competition.
    Last edited by OneMoreTime; 27th February 2018 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    So, if I title one column “Summers is the right man for the job” and only a month later write a column arguing that he needs to be fired, do I still have credibility, too?

There was a huge difference between Deen and Heath. Heath covered the program for more than two decades, and he knew what he was talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    Here's one, TS is "The right man for the job" a month or so later "TS needs to go".
    I don't even think it was a month . . .