TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

1. Default Re: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    So, if I title one column “Summers is the right man for the job” and only a month later write a column arguing that he needs to be fired, do I still have credibility, too?

There was a huge difference between Deen and Heath. Heath covered the program for more than two decades, and he knew what he was talking about.

Maybe Deen had an epiphany. It happens.

Agree about difference. Don was as good as it gets. Southern was lucky to have him as beat writer.

More interesting to me are Deen's stated reasons for leaving. It's a tough job, covering sports. Especially if you have a family. But I also wonder if any of this has to do with Gatehouse buying SMN. They've had some big turnover/cuts in recent months.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

2. Default Re: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    The issue is that SMN requires their reporters to also write columns. Deen's reporting was objective as it could be. Summers was really good to Deen but Deen still asked him questions. Somebody tweeted at him once that he should be willing to talk about Summers to his face. Deen responded, "He knows how I feel and we get along fine." I thought that was a good point.

But Deen also called things the way he saw them. As it did with a lot of people, his opinion Summers changed. He wrote early 2016 that Summers needed time, later in 2016 when he saw that it wasn't getting any better he changed his mind. Russ Brown did the same thing on the Bill Shanks show when talking about Summers. His "shots" at Georgia Southern were in columns when he is required to give his opinion. They weren't shots and they did not crossover to his articles. People criticized Don Heath for the same thing. If you get mad when somebody criticizes your program or fan culture in an article then your thin skin is probably the issue.
    Newspapers are dying anyway and they don't give a crap what I think, but I'd prefer that "columns" go away completely or get moved to a different media (maybe try a blog?).

99% of the world doesn't know the difference between a column (opinion) and an article (fact). They just know that it was printed in the paper, so it must be true. That leads to threads like this one where people dislike most things written by a particular writer because he mouthed off in his opinion pieces.

Stick to the news please.

Default Re: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

You all remember when Nathan said that Tyson "made him feel like a friend" during the 2016 season?? I bet he felt all warm and fuzzy inside.

4. Default Re: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Newspapers are dying anyway and they don't give a crap what I think, but I'd prefer that "columns" go away completely or get moved to a different media (maybe try a blog?).

99% of the world doesn't know the difference between a column (opinion) and an article (fact). They just know that it was printed in the paper, so it must be true. That leads to threads like this one where people dislike most things written by a particular writer because he mouthed off in his opinion pieces.

Stick to the news please.
    People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think. George Carlin

Never really liked him that much, but the past two years we’ve had to deal with Summers and Kleinfeld. Should have been even more hit pieces.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Never really liked him that much, but the past two years we’ve had to deal with Summers and Kleinfeld. Should have been even more hit pieces.
    *pokes head in door
    ** takes a look at the room
    *** shoves hands in pockets and walks away whistling.

I always enjoy the threads that pop up about media members. No one is necessarily right or wrong with what they’re saying. I just wish that we could make the jobs that make double and triple the money subject to the same public dissection.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    *pokes head in door
    ** takes a look at the room
    *** shoves hands in pockets and walks away whistling.

I always enjoy the threads that pop up about media members. No one is necessarily right or wrong with what they’re saying. I just wish that we could make the jobs that make double and triple the money subject to the same public dissection.
    Your name isn't Alex Pellegrino so you have no chance of getting him on your side.

Sometimes I wonder how in the world newspapers are still in business. I have to imagine the product itself doesn't generate enough revenue to cover costs, so it has to be the advertising.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how in the world newspapers are still in business. I have to imagine the product itself doesn't generate enough revenue to cover costs, so it has to be the advertising.
    That was the case way before the profits went down.

It has always been advertising. But to sell advertising you have to have subscribers and readers. An advertiser wants its ad to be seen by as many as possible. Money from subscriptions, paper boxes, street vendors, etc. generally just paid for distribution and sellers. With declining subscriptions/readers advertisers are putting their dollars into other media that reaches more people.
    "You should always expect to get back less than you put in. Thus, if you put nothing in, you should expect to get less than nothing back"