TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

Default Re: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

Quote Originally Posted by GeecheeEagle View Post
    It has always been advertising. But to sell advertising you have to have subscribers and readers. An advertiser wants its ad to be seen by as many as possible. Money from subscriptions, paper boxes, street vendors, etc. generally just paid for distribution and sellers. With declining subscriptions/readers advertisers are putting their dollars into other media that reaches more people.
    Pretty much this. Also, smaller newspapers are dependent on money from legal notices that state law mandates be run in a county's legal organ. There's been a push to move these required legal notices from newspapers to online, which makes sense in today's world, but smaller newspapers have lobbied hard against it.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    *pokes head in door
    ** takes a look at the room
    *** shoves hands in pockets and walks away whistling.

I always enjoy the threads that pop up about media members. No one is necessarily right or wrong with what they’re saying. I just wish that we could make the jobs that make double and triple the money subject to the same public dissection.
    It's a profession which is critical in an open society but not compensated accordingly. I'm unfortunate enough to be in a similar profession.

I've made some negative comments about some of the things professional journalists have run, but it's never been personal. And I admit I was (at least partly) wrong in some of my criticisms. I should have kept my mouth shut.

But I'm not the common clay of the New West--I don't believe that journalists and educators are enemies of the state.

Deen is a good writer and has done a lot of good work, but I don't think he was on the job quite long enough to "get it." That cost him some credibility, IMO. The worst was going strongly on the record about Summers' suitability and then reversing course so quickly. It was probably a ("rookie") mistake, so it wasn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

It's interesting to compare him to Don Heath. Heath alienated a part of the fanbase by stating misgivings--mostly in the form of troubling questions--about the move to FBS.

The aggrieved failed to appreciate that Heath was sharing what he'd gleaned from more than two decades of discussing that issue with employees of GS's athletics program, including those who wrote the checks and those who coached the games. Agree with his opinions or not, there's no doubt that he had the credibility to offer them.

Like I said, I think Deen is pretty good, and I hope things go well for him. He may have been over his head as far as stating confident opinions about GS's recent problems, but how could he not be?

Note to his replacement: do not do as Adam von Brimmer and Nathan Deen did--do not compare GS to your SEC school. That's a recipe for disaster.

My hometown once had a brand-new, impressively-mulletted sportswriter who spent his first year writing about the superiority of Tift County's HS football culture viz. Hinesville's. It never occurred to him that Liberty County was just three years into the BI/LCHS era, and that pre-split Bradwell Institute football was the real deal.

Is that a hard concept for people with a new readership to grasp? Even if you don't believe it, write from the perspective that their sacred cows really are sacred.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    99% of the world doesn't know the difference between a column (opinion) and an article (fact). They just know that it was printed in the paper, so it must be true. That leads to threads like this one where people dislike most things written by a particular writer because he mouthed off in his opinion pieces.

I see the problem. But I also think that offering "informed" opinion is a valuable part of the journalist's job. But people need to see the difference, and we don't need "informed" opinions to dominate everything else (as they do one some cable "news" networks).

It is easier to see the distinction on some sites vs others. Don't the AJC beat reporters have blogs which are obviously blogs and thus separate from reporting?
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    It's a profession which is critical in an open society but not compensated accordingly. I'm unfortunate enough to be in a similar profession.

I've made some negative comments about some of the things professional journalists have run, but it's never been personal. And I admit I was (at least partly) wrong in some of my criticisms. I should have kept my mouth shut.

But I'm not the common clay of the New West--I don't believe that journalists and educators are enemies of the state.

Deen is a good writer and has done a lot of good work, but I don't think he was on the job quite long enough to "get it." That cost him some credibility, IMO. The worst was going strongly on the record about Summers' suitability and then reversing course so quickly. It was probably a ("rookie") mistake, so it wasn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

It's interesting to compare him to Don Heath. Heath alienated a part of the fanbase by stating misgivings--mostly in the form of troubling questions--about the move to FBS.

The aggrieved failed to appreciate that Heath was sharing what he'd gleaned from more than two decades of discussing that issue with employees of GS's athletics program, including those who wrote the checks and those who coached the games. Agree with his opinions or not, there's no doubt that he had the credibility to offer them.

Like I said, I think Deen is pretty good, and I hope things go well for him. He may have been over his head as far as stating confident opinions about GS's recent problems, but how could he not be?

Note to his replacement: do not do as Adam von Brimmer and Nathan Deen did--do not compare GS to your SEC school. That's a recipe for disaster.

My hometown once had a brand-new, impressively-mulletted sportswriter who spent his first year writing about the superiority of Tift County's HS football culture viz. Hinesville's. It never occurred to him that Liberty County was just three years into the BI/LCHS era, and that pre-split Bradwell Institute football was the real deal.

Is that a hard concept for people with a new readership to grasp? Even if you don't believe it, write from the perspective that their sacred cows really are sacred.
    That Deen Column was back in October of 2016. I think you could've at that time made the case Summers needed to be given a chance, but that changes needed to be made.

The problems with that column were (1) giving Summers credit for the 2016 recruiting class, which much of was put together by Fritz and (2) going on about how much Summers cares about the players and loves the program. All that article really did was make me depressed about who it was (justifiably) being put on the hot seat.

I don't have a problem with sunshine pumping when things aren't going well or negativity when things are going well, but it needs to at least be objective and not showing a lack of understanding of basic facts.

Same thing with the arguments against moving to FBS. Most of them are either vague, outdated, or rely on strawmen like the idea that anyone really feels being FBS means we're peers with Ohio State or Alabama.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

Yep, some good ball was played at the ole alma mater before LCHS came along. One of the favorite nights of my young life was (as a senior) watching us beat Valdosta in Brunswick. Good times..... too bad we wet the bed against Warner Robins the very next week.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

6. Default Re: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Your name isn't Alex Pellegrino so you have no chance of getting him on your side.
    She was hot, but didn't know a football from a skyscraper and was marginal as a writer. At press conference announcing a coach hiring her boss was there telling her what questions to ask.

Still, she was nice to look at. That counts for a lot when you realize most newspaper sportswriters looks like used baloney sandwiches.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    *pokes head in door
    ** takes a look at the room
    *** shoves hands in pockets and walks away whistling.

I always enjoy the threads that pop up about media members. No one is necessarily right or wrong with what they’re saying. I just wish that we could make the jobs that make double and triple the money subject to the same public dissection.
    I think the readiness to subject the industry to criticism has a lot to do with the way the profession has styled itself as the 'fourth estate' and the fact that it is readily perceived and relied upon as such. Without even getting into the issues of subjective bias (in any direction), the press wields a mighty sword in a free society, and it does so with little regulation. With great power comes great responsibility, hence the inclination to subject its professionals to rigorous review. There is a tremendous leap of good faith involved in trusting blindly in actors who are subject only to self-regulation.

We're relying on you for our information. We're counting on you to get it right.

8. Default Re: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    She was hot, but didn't know a football from a skyscraper and was marginal as a writer. At press conference announcing a coach hiring her boss was there telling her what questions to ask.

Still, she was nice to look at. That counts for a lot when you realize most newspaper sportswriters looks like used baloney sandwiches.
    Opie disagrees:
    P-e-l-l-e-g-r-i-n-o spells Pulitzer
    Sincerely yours,
    Joseph P. Lawrence, Esq.
    (Georgia Southern 1996)
    http://community.statesboroherald.co...s/detail/1072/

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    Opie disagrees:
    Sincerely yours,
    Joseph P. Lawrence, Esq.
    (Georgia Southern 1996)
    One can certainly tell what her position on moving up was by those two posts!

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    Opie disagrees:
    Sincerely yours,
    Joseph P. Lawrence, Esq.
    (Georgia Southern 1996)
    What a hoot that you have a link to that. Whatever happened to the Pellegrino girl? I had forgotten about her.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987