Default Re: Nathan Deen Leaving Savannah Morning News

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    Opie disagrees:
    P-e-l-l-e-g-r-i-n-o spells Pulitzer
    Sincerely yours,
    Joseph P. Lawrence, Esq.
    (Georgia Southern 1996)
    http://community.statesboroherald.co...s/detail/1072/
    Easily the best sportswriter the Herald has had since I’ve been a fan of GSU. Would ask the tough questions, phenomenal writer, and was the exact type of person we needed at that time of Baker’s incompetence.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    What a hoot that you have a link to that. Whatever happened to the Pellegrino girl? I had forgotten about her.
    She married a baseball player but I don't think he ever made it to the show. I believe that's why she left the Herald because of where he was playing minor league ball. Last I saw I thought Alex was a fitness or yoga instructor.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    That counts for a lot when you realize most newspaper sportswriters looks like used baloney sandwiches.
    Don't sell youself short.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I think the readiness to subject the industry to criticism has a lot to do with the way the profession has styled itself as the 'fourth estate' and the fact that it is readily perceived and relied upon as such. Without even getting into the issues of subjective bias (in any direction), the press wields a mighty sword in a free society, and it does so with little regulation. With great power comes great responsibility, hence the inclination to subject its professionals to rigorous review. There is a tremendous leap of good faith involved in trusting blindly in actors who are subject only to self-regulation.

We're relying on you for our information. We're counting on you to get it right.
    "Mighty sword" and Spider-Man quotes? You're such a serious fellow.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Easily the best sportswriter the Herald has had since I’ve been a fan of GSU. Would ask the tough questions, phenomenal writer, and was the exact type of person we needed at that time of Baker’s incompetence.
    Mighty Quinn, if you simply laugh at RU4GSU's decade+ old column, I'll consider it a major step in your rehabilitation. All you have to do is type "LOL."
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

I remember in 2008 for Antonio Henton's first camp at Georgia Southern I made a comment on this board about him (don't remember exactly what it was) and later on Alex had a column that seemed to copy word for word what I said. I mean, I guess it could've been just by chance because it's not like it was some kind of profound observation, but I thought it was funny.

She definitely had guts and wrote things that could've burnt her bridges to athletics (which would mean she no longer had a job) and was passionate about the athletics programs, but I don't know about her writing.

But like Colin Cowherd says, in sports commentary being interesting is more important than being right.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I remember in 2008 for Antonio Henton's first camp at Georgia Southern I made a comment on this board about him (don't remember exactly what it was) and later on Alex had a column that seemed to copy word for word what I said. I mean, I guess it could've been just by chance because it's not like it was some kind of profound observation, but I thought it was funny.

She definitely had guts and wrote things that could've burnt her bridges to athletics (which would mean she no longer had a job) and was passionate about the athletics programs, but I don't know about her writing.

But like Colin Cowherd says, in sports commentary being interesting is more important than being right.
    Seems to apply to regular news these days too, to the detriment of our society.

Quote Originally Posted by boroeagle2 View Post
    Seems to apply to regular news these days too, to the detriment of our society.
    That's because commentary increasingly trumps news. As independent media watch-dog groups have argued/demonstrated, this phenomenon isn't equally distributed across all news sources. Always be suspicious when a "journalist" is a celebrity in his or her own right, if he or she has a "brand." When the "news hours" takes on the name of the personality who hosts it, that's when you can start adding grain after grain of salt to what you're hearing. A long-time newspaper editor advised me thus.

But we're talking about sports here. It's entertainment by definition. There's a part that requires actual journalism (business, fairness, health of players, finances), but mostly it's entertainment.

Looking back at Deen's column, "Summers the Right Man for the Job" (or something similar), it's not really the content that's objectionable viz. his later columns. It's really just he title. What was he (or perhaps his editor) thinking?

The column itself is relatively subdued on the subject, which I had largely forgotten. All I remembered is "Summers the Right Man for the Job" and "He's a really nice guy and pretty close to a personal friend. He wants to win."
    Last edited by pete4256; 1st March 2018 at 09:50 AM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

That aside, never was I more wrong about the media than when I criticized Josh for asking Tyson Summers about the flex (and his preseason promises) about two games into 2017. I forgot that Aubrey would have been at practices and observed that we were running almost nothing but gun/zone stuff, not integrating flex/veer stuff with any alacrity.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    That's because commentary increasingly trumps news. As independent media watch-dog groups have argued/demonstrated, this phenomenon isn't equally distributed across all news sources. Always be suspicious when a "journalist" is a celebrity in his or her own right, if he or she has a "brand." When the "news hours" takes on the name of the personality who hosts it, that's when you can start adding grain after grain of salt to what you're hearing. A long-time newspaper editor advised me thus.

But we're talking about sports here. It's entertainment by definition. There's a part that requires actual journalism (business, fairness, health of players, finances), but mostly it's entertainment.

Looking back at Deen's column, "Summers the Right Man for the Job" (or something similar), it's not really the content that's objectionable viz. his later columns. It's really just he title. What was he (or perhaps his editor) thinking?

The column itself is relatively subdued on the subject, which I had largely forgotten. All I remembered is "Summers the Right Man for the Job" and "He's a really nice guy and pretty close to a personal friend. He wants to win."
    Writters actually don't write headlines, copy editors do. In the first column, Deen acknowledged wins and losses would be how Summers was judged. In the second one he pointed out that he had not really entertained the idea of Summers needing to be fired until the loss to Georgia State.