TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Default Re: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Grant it I moved from NY in 1995 to Statesboro, but untill I got to the Boro, I never heard of GS. Actually my first 3 years living here I didn't hear/know much about GS, then came that one GS running back, I think he went by AP. That caught my attention and I've been a diehard ever sense. But trust me not a whole lot of people(when you look at the big picture) know us or for that matter care. But when we get that booming Savannah market......(smile). No, when we run a stretch of 12-0, 11-2, etc seasons together including a Access Bowl, major upsets of P5 teams, then the "needle" may move a bit towards Honest country wide recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    But trust me not a whole lot of people(when you look at the big picture) know us or for that matter care.
    Agreed to disagree. Have had people at work events come up and notice my GS shirt on and say random things like, "wow, the legendary football powerhouse".... in New Hampshire. In San Francisco this year at a National Park, the guy working the desk said "oh Georgia Southern wow, that's where Matt Breida went to school." All over the nation I've had people compliment GS.

I'm with Garns, I never heard of GS when I lived in Michigan. Heck didn't even know about FCS. I moved to Georgia in 1989 so it was during the Erk heydays. None of my Michigan friends I grew up with know anything about GS either.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I'm with Garns, I never heard of GS when I lived in Michigan. Heck didn't even know about FCS. I moved to Georgia in 1989 so it was during the Erk heydays. None of my Michigan friends I grew up with know anything about GS either.
    Pretty sure they know of App State now though... Thats how you build a brand. Not by beating a UF program that had no spotlight on them that year.
    We can't control the standings of the guys we play with the way schedules are made far out, but we can control what we do when we have the opportunity. Thats why I hope we can be us again by the time we play Clemson and make an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by AcctEagle221 View Post
    Pretty sure they know of App State now though... Thats how you build a brand. Not by beating a UF program that had no spotlight on them that year.
    We can't control the standings of the guys we play with the way schedules are made far out, but we can control what we do when we have the opportunity. Thats why I hope we can be us again by the time we play Clemson and make an impact.
    Yes they do now, no one had ever heard of them before that.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

6. Default Re: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Grant it I moved from NY in 1995 to Statesboro, but untill I got to the Boro, I never heard of GS. Actually my first 3 years living here I didn't hear/know much about GS, then came that one GS running back, I think he went by AP. That caught my attention and I've been a diehard ever sense. But trust me not a whole lot of people(when you look at the big picture) know us or for that matter care. But when we get that booming Savannah market......(smile). No, when we run a stretch of 12-0, 11-2, etc seasons together including a Access Bowl, major upsets of P5 teams, then the "needle" may move a bit towards Honest country wide recognition.
    +1

GS is not as well known of a brand nationally as many would like to think, myself included. Sure, we are known nationally in small FCS pockets like NDSU, UNH, etc., but not the majority of college football fans. JMHO

As you pointed out, we can remedy that with success on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemark View Post
    Agreed to disagree. Have had people at work events come up and notice my GS shirt on and say random things like, "wow, the legendary football powerhouse".... in New Hampshire. In San Francisco this year at a National Park, the guy working the desk said "oh Georgia Southern wow, that's where Matt Breida went to school." All over the nation I've had people compliment GS.
    well, New Hampshire?, haven't we played them over the years, along with that being a very small state. And Breida plays for 49'ers and the guy is a 49'er fan.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    I prefer to look at how programs are trending. When you compare the two programs over the past few years the fact is that GagSt has been trending up and we have been trending down. I would also say this applies not only to football but both athletic departments in general. We can certainly reverse the trend but anyone who thinks our athletic program is currently far superior to GagSt is kidding themselves.
    Two years is not a TREND!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

9. Default Re: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Nope. It’s an anomaly.

I have a strong feeling that anomaly is about to end.

We have a great staff now and incredible recruiting. It’s time to bring the pain!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Well in football it is actually 3 years, not 2. However I am talking about comparing the two athletic departments in total. Use the move to FBS by both school as a starting point and compare the two programs. My point is that people who think our athletic program is way ahead of GagSt are not correct. I dislike GagSt as much as anyone and cannot stand Hunter but to discount their program is wrong.