TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Default Re: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Well in football it is actually 3 years, not 2. However I am talking about comparing the two athletic departments in total. Use the move to FBS by both school as a starting point and compare the two programs. My point is that people who think our athletic program is way ahead of GagSt are not correct. I dislike GagSt as much as anyone and cannot stand Hunter but to discount their program is wrong.
    yep, +1. They are a sleeping giant that has begun to awaken. New basketball arena soon, I'm sure they will eventually build a baseball complex. Doesn't mean I like them but some around here need to get off their high horse and start looking at what it is.

From my personal experience, most college football fans know Georgia Southern in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic. UMASS, UNH, Delaware, Villanova, Hofstra, Marshall, UCONN, WVU, William and Mary grads live in Philly, NYC, Boston, Wash DC, Baltimore, Pitt areas.

I can’t speak for areas west of the rust belt.

I saw someone say ERK and I’ll be honest in saying no one I know has heard of that great mans name.

Georgia Southern gained recognition by DEFEATING those schools continuously. Obtaining Armstrong Atlantic State will bring recognition to the GS unlike its ever seen before only if they market it correctly. Out of state commuters who travel pass Savannah on I-95 is unprecedented for a college.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Well in football it is actually 3 years, not 2. However I am talking about comparing the two athletic departments in total. Use the move to FBS by both school as a starting point and compare the two programs. My point is that people who think our athletic program is way ahead of GagSt are not correct. I dislike GagSt as much as anyone and cannot stand Hunter but to discount their program is wrong.
    I wasn't talking about how many times we have lost to them. I was talking about how many years we have been "trending" downward and them upward (if you want to call it that) They've had ONE winning season, 2017. In '16, they were 3-9, in 15 they were 6-7, before that they were 1-11 and 0-12. It's hard to not trend up when your starting point is 1-23. Yes, I think Elliott will probably turn them around. But he has just as much of a chance to go backwards as he does forwards.

You know as well as I do that Football drives the boat, and no one even looks at anything past football, baseball and men's basketball. And wins are not the only way to determine how to judge a program. I'm not discounting them like some. But we are not trending down as a whole.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    yep, +1. They are a sleeping giant that has begun to awaken. New basketball arena soon, I'm sure they will eventually build a baseball complex. Doesn't mean I like them but some around here need to get off their high horse and start looking at what it is.
    I’ll admit, I’ve never walked around their campus. I don’t follow them like many others in this forum bc I don’t like in Atlanta nor do I work with any of their alum. I have noticed their b ball program made an appearance in the sweet 16 a few yrs back, but they don’t have any successful NBA players to market their team (at least none I know of. I could be wrong). I’m unaware if they have impactful NFL players as well in athletic marque positions like WR, RB, QB, OLB, DE.

Atlanta and their surrounding area has become a breeding ground for college football recruiting and it looks like there’s no slowing it down except for the traffic. As for their program, they have built a solid coaching staff and new Football stadium out of a baseball field. Love to hear Southern fans reaction when they visit Turner Field and its amenities this fall.

How many SBC titles have they won? It’s not hard to make Bowl games in college football unless your HC is named after a chicken company. Will Georgia State make that jump and challenge for conference supremacy in 18 or will they be excited for the Cure Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    You might be kidding yourself.

They have a bigger budget and they're 3-1 against us since they moved to the FBS.

Maybe we have a better history...but that's about it. We have NOTHING recent to hang over their head. We are trying to sell recruits on an FCS history of winning. We have some decent facilities, a "blue collar" culture, and a nice little fan base...that's about it.
    The only thing we really have over them is the FOC, actual attendance and a traditional campus. The only thing they cant change it the collection of buildings they call a campus. Once they finish all of the stadium development that are will have a slight campus feel I guess. But continued winning will get them to actually having 15K+ in the seats and they are just one future donation drive away from building an FOC somewhere. We are an FCS move up in the lowest conference the difference between the best and worst programs in the conference is miniscule compared to something like Vandy vs AL. I also dont think many recruits are going to care about winning DIV II NC's before they were born and yes they probably think they are DIV II and not FCS as they dont know what the FCS is.

They are an FBS program smack dab in the middle of a probably a top three talent packed area in the country. Like I said for years they jumped way to early and hired horribly but long term they were going to be aight no matter how many dumpster fire memes we posted.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by GSU25+yrFan View Post
    Could you imagine the number of Army fans that would come to Paulson with Ft. Stewart, Ft. Benning, Ft. Jackson and Hunter in close proximity. It would be overflowing and a awesome Military Appreciation Day.
    Always makes me laugh when people think the actual Army cares about West Point cadets playing football. FYI the only ones that ever talked about "Army" football were West Point grads. ROTC officers and enlisted had one thing in common our dislike for over the top West Point grads, in the infantry anyway.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

7. Default Re: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by AcctEagle221 View Post
    In reality, besides Army v. Navy, most military guys don't care about the academy teams, unless they attended West Point or Annapolis. Now if you offer a group package to each base to bring a bus or 2, or offer free tix, then I'm sure they will show up. And do we really want our stadium overrun by folks cheering for the other team?

Yep. When I was actually IN the Army I used to pull for Navy, just to piss off the officers.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

8. Default Re: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Always makes me laugh when people think the actual Army cares about West Point cadets playing football. FYI the only ones that ever talked about "Army" football were West Point grads. ROTC officers and enlisted had one thing in common our dislike for over the top West Point grads, in the infantry anyway.
    It was the same in field artillery.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”

9. Default Re: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    Yep. When I was actually IN the Army I used to pull for Navy, just to piss off the officers.
    You're a pretty bright guy. Support for Navy officer's over Army officer's when your allegedly in the Army. Amazing!

10. Default Re: Georgia State to host Army in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    You're a pretty bright guy. Support for Navy officer's over Army officer's when your allegedly in the Army. Amazing!

Nothing amazing or alleged about it. Most West Pointers were dicks.

Edit: I did have one battery commander at Fort Bragg who wasn't a dick. He agreed most other West Pointers were dicks. We liked him.