TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FB: 2018 Cinderella Team?

Default Re: FB: 2018 Cinderella Team?

As an Eagle football alumn... this post from Eaglewraith made me proud! This is the type attitude that should personify our program...should.

2. Default Re: FB: 2018 Cinderella Team?

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    Indeed. And this is what some of us kind figured would happen back when folks were giddy about moving to FBS.

A year or two of success, then the new wears off. (Remember Marshall?)
    Well now, please do not mistake me for a fool that wanted to remain in FCS... I was merely pointing out the absurdity of GS making a SB bowl game categorized as a "Cinderella" season, in lieu of the norm.

While I did followed the program in FCS, I did not give a dime, or buy a single season ticket until we moved to FBS (now I give lots and buy season tickets for every sport that offers them). Does that make me a bad "alumnus/fan?" Maybe, but FBS is what I want for my Alma mater, so I can live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Marshall sold their soul for their success and got punished for it. There's a reason there's something referred to as "The Marshall Rule" now.

We made a bad hiring decision. The current AD made a gamble that didn't pay off.

These issues are not unique to FBS. It's a miracle the program survived the 90s with how terrible things were. Without Paul Johnson being hired, I'm not sure that Georgia Southern football would exist right now because I wouldn't put past Sam Baker to cut it to save his budget.

You weren't saying **** during the good times, now you're way more than willing to rub people's face in it because it gives you the chance to look down your nose at us and claim some sense of superiority and say "I told you so."

Why are you still here? I've asked this several times and you never really answer. Love of the program doesn't mean you come here and say "Well you got what you asked for." It means you come in and figure out what you can do to help.
    Why even bother with him?

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Well now, please do not mistake me for a fool that wanted to remain in FCS... I was merely pointing out the absurdity of GS making a SB bowl game categorized as a "Cinderella" season, in lieu of the norm.

While I did followed the program in FCS, I did not give a dime, or buy a single season ticket until we moved to FBS (now I give lots and buy season tickets for every sport that offers them). Does that make me a bad "alumnus/fan?" Maybe, but FBS is what I want for my Alma mater, so I can live with it.
    Basketball and Baseball are playing at the same level as the SoCon. Just curious why your support for those sports hinged on football?
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Basketball and Baseball are playing at the same level as the SoCon. Just curious why your support for those sports hinged on football?
    Yeah, but, there isn't the same distinction in baseball and basketball between FCS and FBS like there is for football. We should be able to recruit baseball just like CCU does...no difference in schollies. Basketball is a different story, though I wouldn't blame our facilities for not being able to recruit better. I'd be willing to bet that our men's BB attendance isn't too far of the NCAA average.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

6. Default Re: FB: 2018 Cinderella Team?

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    So is soccer and volleyball, just curious why would you not ask about those programs?

Nonetheless, nothing "hinged" on football, football was just the gateway, for me. It's not like I had a small personal protest against GS for being in the FCS and thought "I am not giving any money until we move up!" No, the reality is that the GS athletic department as a whole just was not on my radar, as an out-of-state young alumnus. I lived far away and had other life priorities, but once I noticed the program trying to grow, met TK and Keel, I knew I wanted to be a part of it. I gave to football, then I became more interested in the other programs and I bought several season tickets, helped Soccer get to Europe, Dugout club, etc.

For me, none of that would have happened if we stayed in FCS. I just did not care to see us win the grand FCS price from afar when I already saw it 3x, in person.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    Yeah, but, there isn't the same distinction in baseball and basketball between FCS and FBS like there is for football. We should be able to recruit baseball just like CCU does...no difference in schollies. Basketball is a different story, though I wouldn't blame our facilities for not being able to recruit better. I'd be willing to bet that our men's BB attendance isn't too far of the NCAA average.
    Per the NCAA in 2017 we averaged 1,824 and the overall average was 4,633.
    Sun Belt average was 2,128 which ranks 20th out of 32 overall. IMO there is no reason we are should not be top 3 in the SB school in attendance.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_bask...ttend/2017.pdf
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Per the NCAA in 2017 we averaged 1,824 and the overall average was 4,633.
    Sun Belt average was 2,128 which ranks 20th out of 32 overall. IMO there is no reason we are should not be top 3 in the SB school in attendance.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_bask...ttend/2017.pdf
    +1

9. Default Re: FB: 2018 Cinderella Team?

I agree to to your point at the end..football became the platform to elevate our national presence..staying at FCS was not going to cut it

10. Default Re: FB: 2018 Cinderella Team?

I'd rather go 2-9 in FBS for the next 10 years than win ANOTHER FCS title.