TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

1. Default 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

App State has had pretty good success with it the last few years. Good news we've got Coach Sloan who was a big part of that success.

Imo the pros includes that it allows more versatile blitz packages and variable defensive fronts creating confusion and uncertainty with opposing offense. Key importance will be a disruptive nose tackle who applies consistent pressure on QB allowing LB's to sweep and clean running threats.

Cons, outside zone stretch and tosses can exploit defense if our outside LB's are not disciplined and may be susceptible to play action passes.

Default Re: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

Pros:

1. I think it can negate some size advantage up front. You don't need guys that are both huge and athletic to run it (Wofford's defense in 2012 was very good and they weren't super athletic).
    2. Tyson Summers didn't leave us enough guys that can play DT on the 4-3 IMO, so it will fit our personnel better.
    3. I think it might work better against the offensive zeitgeist/trends of today than the 4-3.
    4. Probably easier to find good linemen for this system (see #1)

Cons:
    1. Can Sloan run it like Nate Woody does? (Satterfield made him co-DC and probably would've taken over for Woody if we hadn't poaches him, so that's good.)
    2. Learning curve (though I think we will have more talent and better-fitting personnel than App did in 2013 and 2014)
    Last edited by BillyBob; 27th March 2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

3. Default Re: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Pros:

2. Tyson Summers didn't leave us enough guys that can play DT on the 4-3 IMO, so it will fit our personnel better.
    Your post is very accurate except #2. Summers did recruit well with the defensive line. Griffin, Brown, Tucker and Miller. Why Tucker, and Miller were switched to OL is beyond my coaching imagination. But no, with all his faults Summers did not screw that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Your post is very accurate except #2. Summers did recruit well with the defensive line. Griffin, Brown, Tucker and Miller. Why Tucker, and Miller were switched to OL is beyond my coaching imagination. But no, with all his faults Summers did not screw that one up.
    Melton Brown is now a Furman Paladin, FWIW. As far as the others changing positions, maybe apply Occam's razor.

IMO, defensive schemes are about as good as the coaches you have to teach them and the players you have to execute them. App has done a great job creating turnovers and making spread attacks one dimensional, so I hope we can do the same.

There will be a learning curve, unfortunately, as 2018 is the year we have the personnel to be good on D.

Overall, the 3-4 allows us to recruit and make hay with "tweeners" who are neither edge rushers nor true DTs. The linemen we had in '99-04 generally fit the "tweener" profile, and they left an impressive record behind them. Give me a couple of Freddie Pesquieras!

It's been hard for us to get a full position group of DTs and to find impact edge rushers over the past decade and a half.
    Last edited by pete4256; 27th March 2018 at 04:14 PM.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Melton Brown is now a Furman Paladin, FWIW. As far as the others changing positions, maybe apply Occam's razor.

IMO, defensive schemes are about as good as the coaches you have to teach them and the players you have to execute them. App has done a great job creating turnovers and making spread attacks one dimensional, so I hope we can do the same.

There will be a learning curve, unfortunately, as 2018 is the year we have the personnel to be good on D.

Overall, the 3-4 allows us to recruit and make hay with "tweeners" who are neither edge rushers nor true DTs. The linemen we had in '99-04 generally fit the "tweener" profile, and they left an impressive record behind them. Give me a couple of Freddie Pesquieras!

It's been hard for us to get a full position group of DTs and to find impact edge rushers over the past decade and a half.
    Freddie, Freddie, Freddie!, my ALL TIME favorite Eagle. Taped up his cleats white, just the toe black. Looked like he was wearing spats. Pretty cool for a D-line guy at the time. RB's, Wideouts were doing it at the time but you didn't see many d-line guys sporting the spats. 4 time All-American, Freddie was special.

With the 3-4 Defense now here at Southern and a strong recruiting class, I'm curious to see all the position changes. Coaching staff will be evaluating all the talent on the roster (as they see on field personality and field play) . WR turning into DB while DT moving to the offensive side of the line.

Anyone have a current update on the depth chart?

Quote Originally Posted by NewJersey GATA View Post
    With the 3-4 Defense now here at Southern and a strong recruiting class, I'm curious to see all the position changes. Coaching staff will be evaluating all the talent on the roster (as they see on field personality and field play) . WR turning into DB while DT moving to the offensive side of the line.

Anyone have a current update on the depth chart?
    Most up to date is going to be on gseagles.com.

There's no super secret one out there or anything. All we know is what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Most up to date is going to be on gseagles.com.

There's no super secret one out there or anything. All we know is what it says.
    Thanks. I haven't been on that site since the fall. I follow them on twitter during the off season. Saw that they officially moved Mark Michaud to WR. I'm not familiar R-Frosh TE Cam Brown and DJ Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by NewJersey GATA View Post
    Thanks. I haven't been on that site since the fall. I follow them on twitter during the off season. Saw that they officially moved Mark Michaud to WR. I'm not familiar R-Frosh TE Cam Brown and DJ Butler.
    ? Michaud moved to WR last spring and played that position all season.

Brown and Butler have been on the roster all year and were ostensibly on the scout team this fall. Butler is the nephew of former Eagle standout Derrick Butler.

As far as position changes, I haven’t heard anything surprising. In fact, I’ve heard hardly anything at all. Aside from one insubstantial article in the G-A, I haven’t seen a single print story on spring practice since it opened on March 8th.

So exciting!

As far as defense, I’m guessing that Demetrice Lofton gets first shot at “Dog” LB. Anyone know about the other OLB position? Is it a S/LB hybrid? Ecton and Sean Freeman played most of the snaps at Sam down the stretch . . . Josh Moon may have played some there, too. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Martial Washington get a look-see there. On the GATA Lifestyle videos, he seems like a Darius Eubanks type: big guy with length.
    Last edited by pete4256; 28th March 2018 at 05:18 PM.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Freddie, Freddie, Freddie!, my ALL TIME favorite Eagle. Taped up his cleats white, just the toe black. Looked like he was wearing spats. Pretty cool for a D-line guy at the time. RB's, Wideouts were doing it at the time but you didn't see many d-line guys sporting the spats. 4 time All-American, Freddie was special.
    All that brute power from such an undersized DL, and all you can offer is an appreciation of his fashion sense?

The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash