TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

1. Default Re: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post

I assume, as in any defense, both the personnel and coaching will make the difference as it does in any scheme.

*******NOW SAY SOMETHING EagleFan200. I want to hear more about the 3-4 & what players we have to run it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle
    I think you summed it up best.

Default Re: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

I am not a big fan of the 3-4 defense to start with especially in Georgia where we can normally find big guys to play the defensive line. That having been said, I think what this change is, is a way to address the conference we are in. Everyone we play is running 3 or 4 WR on just about every play. Other than Appy, no one else in the league really depends on the run like we do.
    I do not see us playing much actual 3-4 this year or any year because of the teams we are playing. You can't line up in base defense and have your LB's covering WR down the field all game, we have seen how well that works the last two years.
    You will see a bunch of nickle and dime sets this year (I hope) with a mix of defensive linemen and linebackers rushing the QB and trying to get good match-ups against the other team.
    Think about how Appy rushes the passer against us, they always find the weakest spot in the formation and attack there and they do that by dropping linemen and bringing backers, stunts, loops and overloads. We used to do that too, but the last two years it is like we forgot how to play basic defense. You can drop a DE into coverage if he is really just a linebacker. Appy did a good job of moving guys around and creating chaos, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but at least you could tell what they were doing.
    The last two years we have looked like we had no clue what to do for most of the game to stop other teams, or if we did do something well in a game we would stop doing that as the game went on.
    We need a plan each week to put the other team on edge, make them feel uneasy against us. I would expect us to line up in a 3-3-5 or a 2-4-5 much more often than you see a true 3-4 this season.

Default Re: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    I am not a big fan of the 3-4 defense to start with especially in Georgia where we can normally find big guys to play the defensive line. That having been said, I think what this change is, is a way to address the conference we are in. Everyone we play is running 3 or 4 WR on just about every play. Other than Appy, no one else in the league really depends on the run like we do.
    I do not see us playing much actual 3-4 this year or any year because of the teams we are playing. You can't line up in base defense and have your LB's covering WR down the field all game, we have seen how well that works the last two years.
    You will see a bunch of nickle and dime sets this year (I hope) with a mix of defensive linemen and linebackers rushing the QB and trying to get good match-ups against the other team.
    Think about how Appy rushes the passer against us, they always find the weakest spot in the formation and attack there and they do that by dropping linemen and bringing backers, stunts, loops and overloads. We used to do that too, but the last two years it is like we forgot how to play basic defense. You can drop a DE into coverage if he is really just a linebacker. Appy did a good job of moving guys around and creating chaos, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but at least you could tell what they were doing.
    The last two years we have looked like we had no clue what to do for most of the game to stop other teams, or if we did do something well in a game we would stop doing that as the game went on.
    We need a plan each week to put the other team on edge, make them feel uneasy against us. I would expect us to line up in a 3-3-5 or a 2-4-5 much more often than you see a true 3-4 this season.
    A good Article - "Modern Defense and the 2-4-5 vs the 3-3-5" It also covers the 4-3, 3-4. It is an SBNATION article. It highlights the use of multiple front defenses for different offensive schemes.
    I cant copy and paste with my computer or I'd paste it for you. Interesting things I didn't know.

****What do you think about the article Eagle Reporter or anyone else?
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

4. Default Re: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    I am not a big fan of the 3-4 defense to start with especially in Georgia where we can normally find big guys to play the defensive line.
    I do not see us playing much actual 3-4 this year or any year because of the teams we are playing.
    Not a big fan of 3-4 defense either. But I think Sloan may have words with you on its possible success. After the last two years I' am welcoming any aggressive defensive that may give us the edge and keep our offense lethal and deadly.🔑