TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

Default Re: 3-4 Defense pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Interesting interview with Scott Sloan on how practice is going. Couple of things jumped out to me - teaching the Seattle Seahawk method of tackling and spending a lot of time on taking proper angles.
    +1000, getting back to good solid fundamentals, he also mentioned 1st, stop the run and do it with the least amount of players, 2nd, don't allow the "over the top" plays(pass plays that occur after you play great stop the run defense but can't get off the field because of the pass).

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I was on the sidelines, it was like watching a bad play station game.
    I was keeping up with it on Gamecast on my phone at a family function down in south GA. The internet wasn't really working so I could only get updates every 5-10 minutes. It seemed like UMass scored twice every time the score changed.

Replay of payback series '98 and '99, except GS was the better team both years in that situation.
    And AP will be there in '18, just won't get a chance to go berserker.

Defense looked great in the scrimmage today.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Defense looked great in the scrimmage today.
    I think this will be the most talented secondary we've had since 1999, if not ever. Maybe even a top 40 nationally. How that translates to how good the unit overall is remains to be seen.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

This secondary is nowhere near as good as 99. They could get there if we get improved safety play.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

If Sloan can get us to the defensive results App had playing that team from Atlanta, I would be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AcctEagle221 View Post
    If Sloan can get us to the defensive results App had playing that team from Atlanta, I would be very happy.
    + 100
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I think this will be the most talented secondary we've had since 1999, if not ever. Maybe even a top 40 nationally. How that translates to how good the unit overall is remains to be seen.
    I dunno . . . while it didn’t always play at a very high level, 2012 had two NFL draft picks and another player who played in the NFL. That was a talented secondary.

Of course, it was very thin.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    This secondary is nowhere near as good as 99. They could get there if we get improved safety play.
    The 3-4 has + & minuses as do all defensive schemes.
    I remember we ran the 3-4 against the Beavers. I was at the game and as I remember both offenses had over 500 yards of offence - score GSU 41 - OSU 48 as I remember.

I assume, as in any defense, both the personnel and coaching will make the difference as it does in any scheme.
    The one thing I do like about the 3-4, if you have the the right linemen and run stopping line backers you can switch one of the line backers out with a nickel back.

I bought a book once called the EAGLE 3-3 -5 defense. I picked it up because it said "Eagle Defense". The secondary formed an umbrella in the secondary but could be moved around to suit the situation. It was used against all out passing teams with little run threat. I think it was an 1980s book looking at the Red Gun & other single back pass happy offense.

If we are to use the 3-4, have a great front 3, stunt package & can throw in a good nickel back we should be in good shape

*******NOW SAY SOMETHING EagleFan200. I want to hear more about the 3-4 & what players we have to run it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Bingo!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed