TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Liquor Stores

Default Re: Liquor Stores

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    When I was in school, the rumor was that either some council members or other government officials or something owned the liquor store across the county line so they'd never pass packaged liquor sales in Bulloch County. Have absolutely no idea on the reality of it though, just a story that got passed around. Sure didn't slow us down.
    I heard that as well while in school. I'm not sure if that is/was true, but at this point I wouldn't be shocked if its the local restaurants/bars that are pressuring to keep that in place. I'd imagine they benefit a lot from being the only sources of liquor in the county.
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    It has been this way forever. County ordinance. When I was in school you couldn't even get mixed drinks at bars or restaurants.
    Me too. I remeber wine daiquiris being sold, never had one but it sounded terrible.

4. Default Re: Liquor Stores

I guess some things never change.

The music scene in Statesboro was really starting to take off when I was there.

We saw all kinds of really great bands at places like the Rockin Eagle. It was a blast.

But of course, the same old idiots had to drop a turd in that punch bowl. They passed some kind of stupid ordinance that you needed something like 80% of your revenue from food if you had live entertainment. Killed the music fast.

Same jerks running stuff, I guess. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    Me too. I remeber wine daiquiris being sold, never had one but it sounded terrible.
    They weren't very good, lol.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

6. Default Re: Liquor Stores

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I guess some things never change.

The music scene in Statesboro was really starting to take off when I was there.

We saw all kinds of really great bands at places like the Rockin Eagle. It was a blast.

But of course, the same old idiots had to drop a turd in that punch bowl. They passed some kind of stupid ordinance that you needed something like 80% of your revenue from food if you had live entertainment. Killed the music fast.

Same jerks running stuff, I guess. Some things never change.
    That's why all those bars in the plaza got in trouble and closed. The reason they could let 18 year olds in is because they were technically categorized as restaurants. I heard when that kid was killed in 2014, they did an investigation and found out that the bars were selling alcohol and ringing it up as food orders to make it look like they sold 80% food.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    That's why all those bars in the plaza got in trouble and closed. The reason they could let 18 year olds in is because they were technically categorized as restaurants. I heard when that kid was killed in 2014, they did an investigation and found out that the bars were selling alcohol and ringing it up as food orders to make it look like they sold 80% food.
    Throw a fruit garnishment in there and its food, right?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Last sentence is true. A former bar owner explained to me in detail how they would get to that 80 percent mark for food orders while serving drinks. What is law?

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    When I was in school, the rumor was that either some council members or other government officials or something owned the liquor store across the county line so they'd never pass packaged liquor sales in Bulloch County. Have absolutely no idea on the reality of it though, just a story that got passed around. Sure didn't slow us down.
    Maybe its true, I dont know but even if it was it doesn't make sense. Would they really make more having it just over then line instead of just owning one in town if Bulloch wasn't dry? People are going to buy liquor wherever its at. If Bulloch Co becomes a wet county they will still make money.

10. Default Re: Liquor Stores

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
    Maybe its true, I dont know but even if it was it doesn't make sense. Would they really make more having it just over then line instead of just owning one in town if Bulloch wasn't dry? People are going to buy liquor wherever its at. If Bulloch Co becomes a wet county they will still make money.
    If that rumor is true (I heard the same thing as a student), I image that business strategy stems from limiting the options for competition. The demand will be there no matter where they are located, but they have more control of the supply by not passing the law.

Sure, they could pass a law and then open a store within Bulloch Co. and make a lot of money, but then so can others and they risk losing share. Their is definitely a business advantage to being just the first or second store past the county line selling a product in high demand.