TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Coaches Caravan Schedule

Default Re: 2018 Coaches Caravan Schedule

From my terrible memory this style/format of the coach's caravan started maybe 8 or so years ago under Monken in conjunction with the AF. Maybe it did happen but I don't recall this happening under PJ/Sewak etc. The stache came up in Atlanta alone for basically an announcement/luncheon for the Atlanta crowd, but that was during the middle of the week and it was like only 50 people. It was a suit/tie event.

As far as the event I enjoyed the new venue. Guestimating it felt like a much larger crowd than the previous weeknight caravans at 120+. Fox Bros' was excellent. We had our own private room at the brewery. Not the AF fault but they had audio issues with the speakers and TV. They showed the Edwin video but no one was able to hear it unfortunately. Dan, TK, and all 4 coach's spoke briefly. Was it the men's tennis coach that at one time many years ago, was a finalist to do the voice of Kermit the Frog.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    I remember going to Caravan events in Savannah with Erk that were handled by Southern Boosters. Somewhere along the way, the Caravans became Eagle Clubs which were handled by Alumni Relations. Then several years ago, the Eagle Clubs were stopped and revamped as Caravans with Boosters/AF in charge again.
    Such gatherings in Savannah started as low country boils at the Forest City Gun Club. A group of 10 or 12 put it on, sold the tickets, prepared the food, etc. Erk would arrive a little early and spend some time with that group, which was obviously a great treat.

[QUOTE=MikeSanders;908599]That is not quite accurate. Frank was the director of what was called Southern Boosters in the 1980s, which was the predecessor to the athletic foundation. The first event held in Atlanta was in 1986, but was not called the coaches caravan. It eventually morphed into that over time.
    That first event in Atlanta is a special memory. I had made friends with Frank while a student at Georgia Southern. At the time, he and his brother owned a store called Sports Buff at the Statesboro Mall. It was sporting goods, but where you went to get your fraternity jerseys made. After I graduated in 1981, Frank and I stayed in touch. I, along with several other alums that are still involved, planned that first event with Frank. It was held at the Tower Place Hotel in Buckhead. We worked our butts off to make it a great event. It was kind of a celebration of our first national championship. Of course, Erk Russell was the headliner and the draw. We ended up having close to 500 people in that hotel ballroom and we were disappointed we didn’t have a 1000! It was a special night. A lot of young alumni attended as Atlanta was an area that was just becoming the “place” to move to when you graduated from Georgia Southern College.
    Frank and Southern Boosters had held many small group meetings all over South Georgia before that time, but that was our first foray into Atlanta. Someone should get Frank and Bucky to sit down and give all the history so that it can be saved for posterity.[/QUO

Thanks for the background, Mike

4. Default Re: 2018 Coaches Caravan Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Effingham was not a caravan stop. They held their own event.
    I'm glad for them they were able to do it. There are a TON of committed Eagles fans in Effingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Kincaid View Post
    I'm glad for them they were able to do it. There are a TON of committed Eagles fans in Effingham.
    Yes there are. It was a great event!
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Kincaid View Post
    Yes there are. It was a great event!
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Enjoyed listening to Coach Byington and Coach DeBesse tonight at Coaches' Caravan on St. Simons. We have a gem in Coach By and it's obvious Coach D knows what he's doing. They are great ambassadors for Georgia Southern.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Enjoyed listening to Coach Byington and Coach DeBesse tonight at Coaches' Caravan on St. Simons. We have a gem in Coach By and it's obvious Coach D knows what he's doing. They are great ambassadors for Georgia Southern.
    How was the turnout ?

Ask Dan O'Dowd. I like the guy. He did a fantastic job asking questions. Byington and DeBesse were exceptional.

Good news! Here is a link to the information about the Statesboro Caravan!

https://give.gseagles.com/event/2018...esboro/e183913
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987