TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Coaches Caravan Schedule

Default Re: 2018 Coaches Caravan Schedule

IMO. Us small town folks are being bypassed in the hope of catching bigger fish, $$$, in the larger cities.
    Forget the fact that there would be no GS football without us.
    I think the word is “disrespected”.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    The alums and fans who live around North and West Georgia have always had to drive to Atlanta. Not trying to sound rude, but it sounds like some South Georgians are upset that the coaches don't come to their front door anymore. It's never been that way for the rest of the fanbase. I think it makes sense to have these events in the largest cities in our "terrority" of fans. That being said I don't understand why they are going to Nashville. Seems like it would make more sense to keep one of the well-attended central county locations or go to Jacksonville than go somewhere 7+ hours away. How many tuned-in fans do we really have around Nashville?
    I will speak on Jacksonville, as I have been one of the folks who have emailed and called alumni in the area for several years. I have not spoken with anyone at the Foundation about why we were dropped, but I don't find it offensive.

Relatively speaking, we have a decent alumni base in Jacksonville (probably 1,500 or so); however, for whatever reason, our event last year was not well attended. In the past, we have had 50-75 folks show up for various events (maybe 100 one year), but last year we might have had 10 people at the Coaches' Caravan. It was sad and I was extremely disappointed given that the coaches took time out of their schedules to attend and the amount of work that went into planning the event.

This isn't to say Jacksonville should be ignored, as I believe we are an untapped market, but it might be good to have the caravan every other year in Jacksonville. Hopefully, we can get back on the winning train, which should bring people back out....
    Last edited by EagleLaw; 3rd April 2018 at 10:24 AM.
    Heath Vickers
    Degree from Georgia Southern - BBA in Accounting in 2006
    Jacksonville, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Coaches are scheduled to be there. And it is my understanding that the event was planned after they were told by the AF that they were dropped from the schedule. I am not on the Effingham committee, this is just what I have been told.
    In otherwords, if another group wants to be proactive in setting up an event, it sounds like the coaches would be supportive. Shows the kind of coaches we have. Also creates an opportunity for a regional alumni group to put together their own event, which in itself is a good opportunity for that group to grow its network.

4. Default Re: 2018 Coaches Caravan Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLaw View Post
    I will speak on Jacksonville, as I have been one of the folks who have emailed and called alumni in the area for several years. I have not spoken with anyone at the Foundation about why we were dropped, but I don't find it offensive.

Relatively speaking, we have a decent alumni base in Jacksonville (probably 1,500 or so); however, for whatever reason, our event last year was not well attended. In the past, we have had 50-75 folks show up for various events (maybe 100 one year), but last year we might have had 10 people at the Coaches' Caravan. It was sad and I was extremely disappointed given that the coaches took time out of their schedules to attend and the amount of work that went into planning the event.

This isn't to say Jacksonville should be ignored, as I believe we are an untapped market, but it might be good to have the caravan every other year in Jacksonville. Hopefully, we can get back on the winning train, which should bring people back out....
    Thanks for the added info! I hope in the future we do more to latch onto cities like Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, Augusta, and Macon. They are all nearby cities without major football of their own and we have several fans/alums in them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    IMO. Us small town folks are being bypassed in the hope of catching bigger fish, $$$, in the larger cities.
    Forget the fact that there would be no GS football without us.
    I think the word is “disrespected”.
    I understand what you are saying, and I don’t mean to disrespect anyone who lives in a “rural” area, but they do have to make decisions based on economics sometimes. Our MATCHING GIFT CHALLENGE has 23 supporters …23. That is fairly appalling, I honestly can’t even wrap my head around that and maybe that has nothing to do with your comment (which I agree with to a point) but we certainly have some “frugal” fans so we have to get the most “bang for our buck.”.

I have never been to one of the coaches caravan's. The main reason is that the ones closes to me the past several years in Columbus were always at lunch in the middle of the week. But what I do know is that there has to be a grassroots effort to build up the support for the program from the fan base in communities that has a fan base in the area.
    "Once and Eagle Always and Eagle"
    Valley, Alabama
    Fan of Erk since the 70's, Eagle Scout 1978, Georgia Southern Fan since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    I understand what you are saying, and I don’t mean to disrespect anyone who lives in a “rural” area, but they do have to make decisions based on economics sometimes. Our MATCHING GIFT CHALLENGE has 23 supporters …23. That is fairly appalling, I honestly can’t even wrap my head around that and maybe that has nothing to do with your comment (which I agree with to a point) but we certainly have some “frugal” fans so we have to get the most “bang for our buck.”.
    Where can you see the numbers for that?
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

8. Default Re: 2018 Coaches Caravan Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by ValleyBoy View Post
    I have never been to one of the coaches caravan's. The main reason is that the ones closes to me the past several years in Columbus were always at lunch in the middle of the week. But what I do know is that there has to be a grassroots effort to build up the support for the program from the fan base in communities that has a fan base in the area.
    We need another bald man with a strong smile and stronger handshake that can bring a town to its feet with the puff of a cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Where can you see the numbers for that?
    https://give.gseagles.com/campaign/m...llenge/c170354

I gave twice, but only counted as 1.

10. Default Re: 2018 Coaches Caravan Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    I agree, this is appalling.. sometimes I think we are all looking around at each other waiting on somebody else to step up.