TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coach?

Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    Is win/loss record really the only determining factor? In 2016 at 3-0 those who had a clue knew we were in trouble. Most of us have been around long enough to know whether things are running right or at least headed in the right direction. So in my case the eye test will tell me more than this season’s record.
    I was right there with you, but no one is putting a requirement on the number of the first 3 games we need to win.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

After the cluster that was the last two years, I just want to see consistent improvement throughout the year. The eye test will be huge this year for certain. Having said all that, I would feel "ok" with 6 wins and a bowl win; if only for this year. I do think we'll see more wins than that though.
    Cameron Smith
    GS Student 2007-2011
    GS Fanatic 2007-the end of time

I donít have a win loss number in my head because I donít know what to expect from Troy, App, Ga State or Arkansas State. Itís going to be a lot of eye test for me. Do we look fundamentally sound. Have we cut out dumb undisciplined penalties and mistakes. Do we make adjustments. Do we have guys improving. Does he manage the game welll. Those are the kind of things I will look for. I think if those things happen the win loss record will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I was right there with you, but no one is putting a requirement on the number of the first 3 games we need to win.
    Wasnít aware that I said that anyone was..... My point remains that win/loss record wonít tell the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Itís the Sun Belt. We are Georgia Southern. We are supposed to win. Anything less than 8 wins and we hired the wrong guy.
    You're right, we should be dominating this league, but unfortunatly that's not where we are at right now.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    10 wins, total... 2018 is the easiest schedule he will ever see at this level.
    Disagree here. I think we're going to be up against more teams that will make bowl eligibility this year than any year so far. Clemson, App, Troy, and Ark State will make it, and State, USA, ULM, NMSU, and UMass IMO are all also possibly bowl teams.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

So this year at a minimum we should split our out of conference schedule and go 2-2. That leaves 8 conference games. If we only split the 8 games it gives us 4 wins and we would end up 6-6. So the minimum number of wins will be 6 an a bowl game.

8. Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Disagree here. I think we're going to be up against more teams that will make bowl eligibility this year than any year so far. Clemson, App, Troy, and Ark State will make it, and State, USA, ULM, NMSU, and UMass IMO are all also possibly bowl teams.
    You just listed 5 programs that, in your opinion, will possibly make a bowl. In other words, 5 teams hovering around 6 wins in the Sun Belt, the SUN BELT (and most will be breaking in new QB's), IMO those games should be easy wins for a Georgia Southern program.

The 3 "more difficult" games, App, Troy and StAte are all in Paulson this year and all also breaking in new QB's, I believe. App lost their DC to US, and even Tyson Summers should have beaten StAte (we will beat them this year). IMO, what CL currently lacks as a HC I fully anticipate our seasoned coordinators to provide. JMHO

I'm with the ones that say it isn't about a number this year. I want to see improvement. I want to see a HC that knows what he's doing and doesn't look like a deer in the headlights every time something happens. I want to see a team that is fighting for each other and for the HC and that knows how to be a TEAM. I want to see adjustments to in game situations. I want to see consistent play and consistent effort. And most of all, I want to see us absolutely *****-slap gagst and make them know that they got lucky the last three years and that we won't ever let that happen again. If we see all of that, the wins will come. I am not, and never have been a 10 win or bust kind of guy. Too much happens during a season for me to say that an arbitrary win total is the determining factor in what makes a successful season.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    You just listed 5 programs that, in your opinion, will possibly make a bowl. In other words, 5 teams hovering around 6 wins in the Sun Belt, the SUN BELT (and most will be breaking in new QB's), IMO those games should be easy wins for a Georgia Southern program.

The 3 "more difficult" games, App, Troy and StAte are all in Paulson this year and all also breaking in new QB's, I believe. App lost their DC to US, and even Tyson Summers should have beaten StAte (we will beat them this year). IMO, what CL currently lacks as a HC I fully anticipate our seasoned coordinators to provide. JMHO
    I'm not piling on you and not attributing all of my rant to you, this just happens to be the closest post for me to reply to.... I get the WE ARE GEORGIA SOUTHERN shtick. We're fans, we're proud, we have a great history that many do not. I get it and am proud of GS too. But the assumption that GS winning is somehow a birthright, and that all we have to do is show up and we'll win, and that we are so incredibly superior to everyone else that we play, and that we are slumming it in the Sun Belt, and that anything other than a perfect conference record is blasphemy, or an utter failure is preposterous to me. Yes, there are some BAD teams in the Sun Belt. And you know what, for the last two years we were one of them! But there are also some really good teams in the Sun Belt. In most years us, Appy, Troy, and Ark State are all going to be good. I expect all four of us to fight for the CCG every year. But to assume that no other team in the Sun Belt is going to ever have a good season here and there and challenge those four is also not realistic. For some to say anything less than a 10-2 regular season and a conference championship EVERY year is a failure is not giving enough credit to how hard that really is. Once we get back on our feet, I expect us to win a lot, and I'm not saying that 6 wins is acceptable. But I'm not going to call a season a failure and therefore call our team a failure just because we don't win 10 or win the conference every year.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive