TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coach?

1. Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I'm not piling on you and not attributing all of my rant to you, this just happens to be the closest post for me to reply to.... I get the WE ARE GEORGIA SOUTHERN shtick. We're fans, we're proud, we have a great history that many do not. I get it and am proud of GS too. But the assumption that GS winning is somehow a birthright, and that all we have to do is show up and we'll win, and that we are so incredibly superior to everyone else that we play, and that we are slumming it in the Sun Belt, and that anything other than a perfect conference record is blasphemy, or an utter failure is preposterous to me. Yes, there are some BAD teams in the Sun Belt. And you know what, for the last two years we were one of them! But there are also some really good teams in the Sun Belt. In most years us, Appy, Troy, and Ark State are all going to be good. I expect all four of us to fight for the CCG every year. But to assume that no other team in the Sun Belt is going to ever have a good season here and there and challenge those four is also not realistic. For some to say anything less than a 10-2 regular season and a conference championship EVERY year is a failure is not giving enough credit to how hard that really is. Once we get back on our feet, I expect us to win a lot, and I'm not saying that 6 wins is acceptable. But I'm not going to call a season a failure and therefore call our team a failure just because we don't win 10 or win the conference every year.

2. Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

I'm not piling on you and not attributing all of my rant to you, this just happens to be the closest post for me to reply to.... I get the WE ARE GEORGIA SOUTHERN shtick. We're fans, we're proud, we have a great history that many do not. I get it and am proud of GS too. But the assumption that GS winning is somehow a birthright, and that all we have to do is show up and we'll win, and that we are so incredibly superior to everyone else that we play, and that we are slumming it in the Sun Belt, and that anything other than a perfect conference record is blasphemy, or an utter failure is preposterous to me. Yes, there are some BAD teams in the Sun Belt. And you know what, for the last two years we were one of them! But there are also some really good teams in the Sun Belt. In most years us, Appy, Troy, and Ark State are all going to be good. I expect all four of us to fight for the CCG every year. But to assume that no other team in the Sun Belt is going to ever have a good season here and there and challenge those four is also not realistic. For some to say anything less than a 10-2 regular season and a conference championship EVERY year is a failure is not giving enough credit to how hard that really is. Once we get back on our feet, I expect us to win a lot, and I'm not saying that 6 wins is acceptable. But I'm not going to call a season a failure and therefore call our team a failure just because we don't win 10 or win the conference every year.
    I do not recall reading that from anybody.

Nonetheless, valid points, I can only speak for myself... do not get me wrong, when I say we should win (the SBC) it is not simply because we have Georgia Southern on our jerseys (figuratively speaking). No, I say it because we run a triple option (I think), with great talent (that has great support in the FOC, good coaches, good fan base, etc.) in the weakest FBS conference. It is my opinion that a triple option offense with Georgia Southern talent and a GOOD coaching staff will be in the SBC championship game more years then not.

Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

I still think we have personnel issues on the OLine so I expect the offense to stumble a little out of the gate. A benchmark to me is consistent improvement week to week, especially in fundamentals of blocking, tackling, ball security, accurate snaps.

The previous staff lacked cohesion as a staff and that lack of cohesion infected the whole program. Players were either poorly coached or were unreceptive to coaching. I expect to see TEAM me attitudes and GATA. That should translate to consistent winning and competitive play by mid-season

Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I do not recall reading that from anybody.

Nonetheless, valid points, I can only speak for myself... do not get me wrong, when I say we should win (the SBC) it is not simply because we have Georgia Southern on our jerseys (figuratively speaking). No, I say it because we run a triple option (I think), with great talent (that has great support in the FOC, good coaches, good fan base, etc.) in the weakest FBS conference. It is my opinion that a triple option offense with Georgia Southern talent and a GOOD coaching staff will be in the SBC championship game more years then not.
    Not just in this thread, even though there are two posts (including yours) that say "GS losing more than one game in the SB pretty much anyyear is underachieving". and "10 wins, total... 2018 is the easiest schedule he willever see at this level". But in almost any thread that talks about pre-season win totals and expectations will be riddled with them. Everything from 12-0 and access bowl win to we'll beat a P5 opponent by 20 because we're GS and they will overlook us and won't know what hit them. The threads follow the same patterns and have the same tag lines....."we're GS, we're SUPPOSED to win", and the Sun Belt is the "worst conference in America" and if we don't win the conference every year we've failed. We should win a lot more than we should lose, but not winning the conference doesn't automatically make that year a total failure.

IMO, there is a difference in a GOAL and an EXPECTATION.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    Do we look fundamentally sound. Have we cut out dumb undisciplined penalties and mistakes. Do we make adjustments. Do we have guys improving. Does he manage the game welll. Those are the kind of things I will look for. I think if those things happen the win loss record will take care of itself.
    Excellent post there StudentEagle! I echo those sentiments.

The schedule only has one guaranteed L (Clemson) but only has one guaranteed W (SC State). Every game is potentially winnable but they're all losable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    It’s the Sun Belt. We are Georgia Southern. We are supposed to win. Anything less than 8 wins and we hired the wrong guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    Seven wins with continuity, cohesiveness, enthusiasm, and no sign of disfunction.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I’d like to see a bowl.

But I REALLY need to see us beat Gag like they deserve.

Take them ghetto kittens down!!

(I have no idea how we lost to them the last three years. They are not good.)
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    10 wins, total... 2018 is the easiest schedule he will ever see at this level.

All good!
    I wanted to say 7 wins & a win against Georgia State. Then again we are Georgia Southern & the schedule does lend itself to a good season.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    I still think we have personnel issues on the OLine so I expect the offense to stumble a little out of the gate. A benchmark to me is consistent improvement week to week, especially in fundamentals of blocking, tackling, ball security, accurate snaps.

The previous staff lacked cohesion as a staff and that lack of cohesion infected the whole program. Players were either poorly coached or were unreceptive to coaching. I expect to see TEAM me attitudes and GATA. That should translate to consistent winning and competitive play by mid-season
    +1. I would like to see the offense get the play started like CBD has been repeating. Would like to see us much more disciplined on OL. Improvement week to week and being competitive every game would do it for me.

9. Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

Not just in this thread, even though there are two posts (including yours) that say "GS losing more than one game in the SB pretty much anyyear is underachieving". and "10 wins, total... 2018 is the easiest schedule he willever see at this level". But in almost any thread that talks about pre-season win totals and expectations will be riddled with them. Everything from 12-0 and access bowl win to we'll beat a P5 opponent by 20 because we're GS and they will overlook us and won't know what hit them. The threads follow the same patterns and have the same tag lines....."we're GS, we're SUPPOSED to win", and the Sun Belt is the "worst conference in America" and if we don't win the conference every year we've failed. We should win a lot more than we should lose, but not winning the conference doesn't automatically make that year a total failure.

IMO, there is a difference in a GOAL and an EXPECTATION.
    Their is also a difference in UNDERACHIEVING and FAILURE. IMO less then 10 wins, maybe 9, this year is underachieving, not necessarily failure.

Their is a reason their are different thread topics, and pulling those other topics into other threads defeats that purpose. I understand your frustration with the mindset of the hyperbole examples you shared, all I can say is none of those are my opinion (expect this being CL easiest schedule at this level, which I maintain).

10. Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    The schedule only has one guaranteed L (Clemson) but only has one guaranteed W (SC State). Every game is potentially winnable but they're all losable as well.
    For sure L's: Clemson, Troy

Worried as heck: ULM, Ark St, ATL-CC

Feel pretty good about: App, UMASS, CCU

For sure W's: SC State, NMSU, TXST, USA