TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 92

Thread: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coach?

  1. #41

    Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    For sure L's: Clemson, Troy

    Worried as heck: ULM, Ark St, ATL-CC

    Feel pretty good about: App, UMASS, CCU

    For sure W's: SC State, NMSU, TXST, USA
    Troy is losing a lot.

  2. Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Troy is losing a lot.
    They have a lot of talent on the sideline too though. Really their only question mark is at WR.

  3. #43

    Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Their is also a difference in UNDERACHIEVING and FAILURE. IMO less then 10 wins, maybe 9, this year is underachieving, not necessarily failure.

    Their is a reason their are different thread topics, and pulling those other topics into other threads defeats that purpose. I understand your frustration with the mindset of the hyperbole examples you shared, all I can say is none of those are my opinion (expect this being CL easiest schedule at this level, which I maintain).
    I disagree with your saying the Sun Belt is a weak conference, unless by weak you are comparing it with the AAC and Mountain West. There's no real meaningful difference between the sun Belt and MAC/CUSA anymore, and IMO that bowl results over the last two seasons have solidified that.

    IMO, I think some people are overlooking:
    South Alabama - they've got talent that has helped them beat Miss State, San Diego State twice, and Troy and Ark State last year. Now they have a Fritz-esque coach that has won everywhere he has been for a long time.
    ULM - has one of the best dual-threat guys in the G5 and a wide receiver that has earned all-America honors as a return man.
    UMass - they won 4 of their last 6 games last year, and Mark Whipple has won there before.

    And I disagree about Troy, App, and Ark State, too. Ark State has Justice Hansen back with pretty much all of his targets, and App and Troy have the two best coaches in the conference who won't let them fall too much in spite of what they're losing.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  4. Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    South Alabama - they've got talent that has helped them beat Miss State, San Diego State twice, and Troy and Ark State last year. Now they have a Fritz-esque coach that has won everywhere he has been for a long time.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not sold on South Alabama's future golden age. A lot of people are all gung-ho for USA because they have a new coaching staff, but this is the first time they have EVER had a replace a coaching staff before. Even if Campbell is a miracle worker, he still will need 1-2 years to get his feet planted and in the meantime USA will be experiencing the growing pains that come with a new staff for the first time in their brief history. I think, at least this first year, they should be an easy homecoming win for us.

  5. Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I disagree with your saying the Sun Belt is a weak conference, unless by weak you are comparing it with the AAC and Mountain West. There's no real meaningful difference between the sun Belt and MAC/CUSA anymore, and IMO that bowl results over the last two seasons have solidified that.

    IMO, I think some people are overlooking:
    South Alabama - they've got talent that has helped them beat Miss State, San Diego State twice, and Troy and Ark State last year. Now they have a Fritz-esque coach that has won everywhere he has been for a long time.
    ULM - has one of the best dual-threat guys in the G5 and a wide receiver that has earned all-America honors as a return man.
    UMass - they won 4 of their last 6 games last year, and Mark Whipple has won there before.

    And I disagree about Troy, App, and Ark State, too. Ark State has Justice Hansen back with pretty much all of his targets, and App and Troy have the two best coaches in the conference who won't let them fall too much in spite of what they're losing.
    If we are splitting hairs about whom is better between CUSA, MAC or our conference then IMO we are in a weak conference. Note, I am not saying that the SBC is not good for GS, or where we should be (now).

    Not sure what exactly you disagree with about my comments of App, StAte and Troy. Other then predicting that we will beat StAte, I merely said we have them all at home this year, we have Apps DC, and I believe they are all breaking in new QB's. Okay, 1 of the 3 QB's will be back, what else do you disagree with? Did the SBC or ESPN move the game locations? Did Sloan leave?

  6. #46

    Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    Seven wins with continuity, cohesiveness, enthusiasm, and no sign of disfunction.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I'm with the ones that say it isn't about a number this year. I want to see improvement. I want to see a HC that knows what he's doing and doesn't look like a deer in the headlights every time something happens. I want to see a team that is fighting for each other and for the HC and that knows how to be a TEAM. I want to see adjustments to in game situations. I want to see consistent play and consistent effort. And most of all, I want to see us absolutely *****-slap gagst and make them know that they got lucky the last three years and that we won't ever let that happen again. If we see all of that, the wins will come. I am not, and never have been a 10 win or bust kind of guy. Too much happens during a season for me to say that an arbitrary win total is the determining factor in what makes a successful season.
    Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I don’t have a win loss number in my head because I don’t know what to expect from Troy, App, Ga State or Arkansas State. It’s going to be a lot of eye test for me. Do we look fundamentally sound. Have we cut out dumb undisciplined penalties and mistakes. Do we make adjustments. Do we have guys improving. Does he manage the game welll. Those are the kind of things I will look for. I think if those things happen the win loss record will take care of itself.
    I'm with you all. The confidence will come from intangibles, like "Does the guy look and act like he deserves to be in charge?"

    I was excited by the spark he was able to light late last season, I like that the players seem to have bought in with him, I am very encouraged by the staff moves in the off season, but seeing things like taking 2 time outs with possession into the locker room at the half when you need to and likely could have scored will make me nervous.

    I really want to be pleasantly surprised like I was when things were just 'clicking' out of the gate with Fritz.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah Ga
    Posts
    15,123

    Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    6+ wins. Get to a bowl game.

    That's all I'm asking for. He does that and I'm on board.

    .
    I agree 100% .. baby steps his first full year ..
    Duane Claxton
    Savannah Ga
    Married into Eagle Nation 1994

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    7,117

    Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Their is also a difference in UNDERACHIEVING and FAILURE. IMO less then 10 wins, maybe 9, this year is underachieving, not necessarily failure.

    Their is a reason their are different thread topics, and pulling those other topics into other threads defeats that purpose. I understand your frustration with the mindset of the hyperbole examples you shared, all I can say is none of those are my opinion (expect this being CL easiest schedule at this level, which I maintain).
    So going from 2 wins to 10 wins in one season is such an easy thing that if we only win 9 next year then we are underachieving? See, this is what I was talking about. From the list I found, only 26 teams out of the entire FBS won 10 games or more last year. That's 20%. So are you saying that 80% of all teams underachieved, or that somehow we are so special that 10 games is just a birth right for us and we are going to magically turn the dumpster fire that was the last two years for us into gold? That's great if we we do it, but it is just not realistic.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  9. #49

    Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    FAU went from three straight three win seasons to 11 last season under Kiffin. They were the only team in the country with that extreme of a turnaround. I don't get why people think that you can jump a division and expect the exact same success you had in the lower division just because. That isn't how it works. It gets harder to sustain winning the higher up the ladder you go from DIII to FBS. That's just how it is. A lot of this fanbase needs to leave 1989 in the past and start living in 2018.

  10. #50

    Default Re: What do you need to see this season to feel confident about Lunsford as head coac

    I like our high expectations because I never want to be clumped in with the Kent State's of the G5 world and over the last two years that's where we were heading. A mediocre G5 program with the majority of seasons hoping for 6 wins and every 8-10 years win 8 or 9. Might be a-ok for the Kent States of the world but not for a GS football program.(or fan base).

Similar Threads

  1. Once Lunsford is Named the New Head Coach
    By BlueFrogg in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 27th November 2017, 01:12 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 27th May 2010, 07:27 AM
  3. GT coach Paul Johnson says he's confident in GSU's Monken
    By GSU25+yrFan in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 9th May 2010, 11:29 AM
  4. Just do not feel confident...
    By dallaseagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2nd April 2009, 08:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •