TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Spring Game Thread

Default Re: 2018 Spring Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemark View Post
    I'd start Kado all season.

Completely disagree. The only 3 options at QB have to be Werts, Frazier, or Tomlin. Unless the staff sees something in Anthony or Brown that says they are head and shoulders better than the younger guys and I’m doubting they see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

2. Default Re: 2018 Spring Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    We were 129/130 in passing efficiency last year with Werts throwing the vast majority of those passes. Kado only threw it 30 times, but in that small sample size he was objectively better than Werts.

Werts was our best offensive weapon with his feet, but he wasn't a threat with his arm at all. He ate a ton of sacks and basically hit a hail Mary ball every blue moon. We have a long way to go.

I thought Werts threw some really nice ones.

A lot of them were dropped, but most were beautiful passes.

By far the best arm of any GS QB I have ever seen.

-He can't do much about drops.

I would like to see him make quicker decisions, though. I think Ellison was good at that. I have been told that a good option QB knows what he will do before the snap. I think KE was very good at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    We were 129/130 in passing efficiency last year with Werts throwing the vast majority of those passes. Kado only threw it 30 times, but in that small sample size he was objectively better than Werts.

Werts was our best offensive weapon with his feet, but he wasn't a threat with his arm at all. He ate a ton of sacks and basically hit a hail Mary ball every blue moon. We have a long way to go.

Disagree w/ that contention.

Almost vehemently

I've not gotten to the end of this thread, but Werts missed on a couple of open guys, had some WR's drop some balls they SHOULD have hauled in and turned up field (blocking was there), and was for the most part accurate.

Kado's work passing the ball in 2017 wasn't anything at all to write home about, IMO.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    #FakeNews Look at our 6 national championships and the passing averages those years.
    Thank you. This logic kills me. One of the most important plays in Georgia Southern history was a touchdown PASS from one of the two people with numbers retired at Georgia Southern.

5. Default Re: 2018 Spring Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemark View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one with concerns like this. I agree that his play making doesn't look easy, ever. Were we spoiled to death with Ellison and Upshaw? Absolutely. I certainly hope we see massive improvement this year and I am cheering for him. I just haven't seen it yet. I'd start Kado all season.

This will be a multi year funk that we are climbing out of, so just get us to 6+ wins somehow this year and we will feel so much better about ourselves.
    Yeah, IMO the volume of chatter about the throwing arm of an option QB that has difficulty reading/executing the option pitch, is interesting.

Just a couple of observations and comments. I didn't like the format and none of the announcers overly impressed me. But it was well organized by the staff and coaches. I will never sit in the seat i was in down low. Couldn't see the plays as they develop or who was where. It was a great crowd.

Correction on pass completions. As a true option team we almost always led our league in percentages and with a high ypc. Go back and check it out. Now we rarely passed more than say 18 times but our QB s had very high percentage rates. They would pass when it wasn't expected. PJ was a master at it. I can remember Hill and others passing for some pretty good yardage.

I think Werts needs to pull the trigger quicker to where the receiver will be. Richardson was so open one play. If it is Frasier he just needs more PT. I see both playing the first game. We should stomp SC St like we did the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Completely disagree. The only 3 options at QB have to be Werts, Frazier, or Tomlin. Unless the staff sees something in Anthony or Brown that says they are head and shoulders better than the younger guys and I’m doubting they see that.
    +1, Werts by far is our #1. To be honest I was a bit disappointed in Fraziers play Saturday. I think he had two of his passes blocked at line of scrimmage, he didn't look comfortable/natural out there and he's a red shirt, not a kid who just got here. Like in years past our offense success will be based on our O-Line.

Werts is still too inconsistent to me. He will make 2-3 good plays and then 2-3 bad plays and we punt or turn it over. Still saw some of that Saturday which conjures up bad memories. I agree that he appears to be the most athletic. He also has different coaching now so we will see how he responds to Debess. I like some of the OL changes like moving Miller. He appears to have the footwork to be really good at tackle. Big Lawrence Edwards at guard should be a load. Our shotgun snaps seemed a lot better. Hoping these guys have a solid offseason in conditioning and weights. I think the new strength coach is a solid hire and will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    he didn't look comfortable/natural out there and he's a red shirt, not a kid who just got here.
    The issue here is the redshirt year he had, our team was an absolute charlie foxtrot. Same goes for Wertz, although he has game reps. I want us to play well this year, get to bowl, beat our rivals, and restore our culture, but I realize just how much bad learning we have to overcome.

But to me its not necessarily fair to judge the players developement between last year to now, because I feel like we are unlearning bad habits and just now getting a taste of the speed of the game. The speed JF played last year was D2 at best. We had an FCS team from the NE make us look silly. Not a fast team, a "slow" NE team that is built to wear down their competition. The whole offense is just now starting to practice against the D1 speed of game, IMO. Thats part of why we were so bad.
    And just a disclaimer, I don't mean that our players are slow, I am referring to game speed. Our game speed last year felt slower than that of our FCS teams. In 2016, it wasn't as bad, because we had guys who knew they had to play fast. However, we wasted 2 years of practice, which is really unfortunate for our guys.
    Last edited by AcctEagle221; 17th April 2018 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    #FakeNews Look at our 6 national championships and the passing averages those years.
    Look at our win over UF.