TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alteration to football kickoff rule approved

Default Re: Alteration to football kickoff rule approved

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I think they're concerned about people having space to pick up speed and then using a cut block.

https://youtu.be/sctWTqkuoeU?t=2874

That play right there is an example...Brett Moore (the right tackle) runs up and knocks the Alabama DB over. IMO it could've been a touchdown even if he couldn't cut block, though.
    That’s a totally clean block, though, and it doesn’t pose a high risk of injury. And what’s the difference between him blocking five yards past the LoS, and seven yards (as in the play)?

What makes a block like that even more effective is that the defender doesn’t know for sure whether Moore is gonna cut him or not. One could make the argument that such uncertainty could/should reduce over-aggressiveness and overall chance of injury by forcing defenders to play with more discipline/awareness.

I can understand defenders complaining about cut blocking during the initial OL surge. There’s some grey area between cutting and chopping, and chopping poses a legitimate injury risk.

I just don’t understand why defenders can tackle ball carriers however they want, yet blockers aren’t allowed to drive through a defender’s thighs in space. I mean, what’s the difference? Does a defender have some God-given right to keep his eyes on the ball-carrier at all times? I don’t think so.
    Last edited by pete4256; 14th April 2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

They might as well give the receiving team the ball on the 25 and forget about the kick.

Jon Bois of SBNation addressed the kickoff issue for the NFL last year, and brought up Greg Schiano's solution.

Instead of kicking off after a score, the team will receive the ball on their own 30 yard line facing a 4th and 15. Most of the time, this means a punt, but it also allows for the team to retain possession by going for it.

Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music 2009
    Master of Music 2012
    Reidsville, GA

I say you give the kicking team the option to kick or have the other team get the ball at the 20. If they kick the 25 yard touchback rule is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by spdrumline View Post
    Jon Bois of SBNation addressed the kickoff issue for the NFL last year, and brought up Greg Schiano's solution.

Instead of kicking off after a score, the team will receive the ball on their own 30 yard line facing a 4th and 15. Most of the time, this means a punt, but it also allows for the team to retain possession by going for it.

That may be the worst idea I’ve ever heard when it comes to rules
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

You all know that in the early 1900's there was a movement in this country to ban football because it was so violent. Let's hope they don't water the game down to the point it almost becomes unrecognizeable. I'm all for safety but football always has been a violent game. It's kind of ironic to me that we can place two guys or two women in a cage and allow them to beat one another into submission or out cold and that's A-OK, just kind of weird when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    You all know that in the early 1900's there was a movement in this country to ban football because it was so violent. Let's hope they don't water the game down to the point it almost becomes unrecognizeable. .
    The game that resulted from that original movement was unrecognizable to those familiar with the old version

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    The game that resulted from that original movement was unrecognizable to those familiar with the old version
    i don't think so.

Will there be designated safe spaces (with counselors standing by) on the sidelines now in case the coach or other players act aggressively toward a player that makes a mistake? Also can we have a rule that ALL players receive an equal amount of playing time unless they don’t want to go in because of a prior bullying incident on the field?
    Also, can we get a 15 yard bullying penalty added to the rules?
    And non-gender bathrooms?

This blows... it’s no longer football.