TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Default Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

There's been a lot of concern here about the QB position. Well, after going back and watching all of the offensive series from the second half of the season over the last couple of weeks, I just don't see it. Honestly, I think there is a lot of selective memory bias and blaming QBs for problems with an offense that seems to want to re-invent itself constantly.

In particular, people criticize Werts' decision-making ability and say he's too timid about pitching the ball. I created time stamps for the 27 pitch/keep reads in Lunsford's first four games. If you have about ten minutes, go through each of these plays and tell me which ones you think were bad reads. I saw 4 obvious ones and maybe 6 or 7 total if you're being a stingy grader (some of them the defense were all over and it wouldn't have made a difference).

If you will only watch some of them, watch the 6th and 7th Georgia State highlights as well as the 3rd and 4th South Alabama highlights. Those are plays that demonstrate good and quick decision making to make plays.

Troy 1
    Troy 2
    Troy 3

Georgia State 1
    Georgia State 2
    Georgia State 3
    Georgia State 4
    Georgia State 5
    Georgia State 6
    Georgia State 7
    Georgia State 8
    Georgia State 9
    Georgia State 10
    Georgia State 11

App State 1
    App State 2
    App State 3
    App State 4
    App State 5
    South Alabama 1
    South Alabama 2
    South Alabama 3
    South Alabama 4
    South Alabama 5
    South Alabama 6
    South Alabama 7
    South Alabama 8
    South Alabama 9

Bonus Play (not a pitch-keep read)

Honestly, not only am I not worried, but I'm excited about QB. I think both Brown and Werts are better than they are given credit for.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 5th May 2018 at 01:28 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

2. Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

I agree 100%

I think werts has the speed and skill to be absolutely awesome!

He is certainly not to blame for the dumpster fire. No one can walk into a totally different offensive scheme every week and expect everything to mesh properly.

I remember seeing so much confused stuff, I couldn’t tell what it was supposed to be most of the time. That wasn’t Wert’s fault. Blocking was a mess, people weren’t where they were supposed to be. It was just such a disaster. Much more to all of that than how fast the QB reads went down.

3. Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

I hope you are correct, but I admit I remain skeptical. Many of the videos of his “reads” posted above were when he just kept the ball. I have no doubt that he is a good runner/athlete, but I would love to see improvement in decision making in 2019.

Even the Orlando Sentinel rated him as the 5th best QB in a 10 team conference going into 2018. Not good. The only QB’s rated below him were the ones who have not yet started a game (except CCU’s QB who started 3 games). Also, not good. Heck, USA’s QB was ranked higher and they do not even know their starter, yet. My point with the Sentinel example is that the criticism is not limited to just GS fans with “selective memory bias.”

Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I hope you are correct, but I admit I remain skeptical. Many of the videos of his “reads” posted above were when he just kept the ball. I have no doubt that he is a good runner/athlete, but I would love to see improvement in decision making in 2019.

Even the Orlando Sentinel rated him as the 5th best QB in a 10 team conference going into 2018. The only QB’s rated below him were the ones who have not yet started a game (except CCU’s QB who started 3 games). USA’s QB was ranked higher and they do not even know their starter, yet. My point with the Sentinel example is that the criticism is not limited to just GS fans with “selective memorie bias.”
    I went back through the notes I made for these plays and counted 9 that were pitches. So you're right that most are keeps, but the important thing is making the correct decision, which he does and seems to get better at as the season goes on.

As for the QB rankings, let's be honest, these are largely based on statistics on last year, and between awful coaching and sharing a significant number of snaps, he's not going to put up good numbers.

To see a jittery freshman QB, you need only need to look at some of the garbage time from 2011 and see Izzy Youyoute. Werts to me more compares to Kevin Ellison late 2013 than Izzy 2011.

BTW, not trying to come of as self-righteous here, I think you're right (or maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else) that said Kado was better than he's given credit for on a second look.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Billy Bob
    Thanks for taking your time to fill some blanks for me.
    I have not been around for the last 2 years so I don't know the details of our bottoming out.

Can you tell me how the O scheme changed over the last 2 years?
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    There's been a lot of concern here about the QB position. Well, after going back and watching all of the offensive series from the second half of the season over the last couple of weeks, I just don't see it. Honestly, I think there is a lot of selective memory bias and blaming QBs for problems with an offense that seems to want to re-invent itself constantly.

In particular, people criticize Werts' decision-making ability and say he's too timid about pitching the ball. I created time stamps for the 27 pitch/keep reads in Lunsford's first four games. If you have about ten minutes, go through each of these plays and tell me which ones you think were bad reads. I saw 4 obvious ones and maybe 6 or 7 total if you're being a stingy grader (some of them the defense were all over and it wouldn't have made a difference).

If you will only watch some of them, watch the 6th and 7th Georgia State highlights as well as the 3rd and 4th South Alabama highlights. Those are plays that demonstrate good and quick decision making to make plays.

Troy 1
    Troy 2
    Troy 3

Georgia State 1
    Georgia State 2
    Georgia State 3
    Georgia State 4
    Georgia State 5
    Georgia State 6
    Georgia State 7
    Georgia State 8
    Georgia State 9
    Georgia State 10
    Georgia State 11

App State 1
    App State 2
    App State 3
    App State 4
    App State 5
    South Alabama 1
    South Alabama 2
    South Alabama 3
    South Alabama 4
    South Alabama 5
    South Alabama 6
    South Alabama 7
    South Alabama 8
    South Alabama 9

Bonus Play (not a pitch-keep read)

Honestly, not only am I not worried, but I'm excited about QB. I think both Brown and Werts are better than they are given credit for.
    How about that block by Richardson on that bonus play, he murdered a panther.

Quote Originally Posted by boroeagle2 View Post
    How about that block by Richardson on that bonus play, he murdered a panther.
    Would like to see a lot more of that from him. That's been the one criticism I've really had of his, he needs to use his size to just make devastating blocks like that.

The more I remember last year the more I want to forget most of it, let's just move on. Let the coaches have the players compete for all the positions and GATA. We could probably name most of them unless one of the incoming freshman shows out. I would lean more towards playing the players who give us the best chance to win no matter what class they are in. Win Win Win we have to turn it around now.

9. Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Billy Bob
    Thanks for taking your time to fill some blanks for me.
    I have not been around for the last 2 years so I don't know the details of our bottoming out.

Can you tell me how the O scheme changed over the last 2 years?
    When I look at this stuff, I definitely wonder how many times the O line plan fell apart.

Blocking was so bad most of the time. I’m sure there were holes supposed to be opening and/or shifts to take place, but it just wasn’t working.

I don’t know what decisions can be made when the other guys just crush the line over and over, and the qb has made 2 seconds before half the team jumps on him.

Im hoping to see much more coordinated stuff from the line this year. We have to. That’s the foundation for everything with our kind of offense.

I’m not totally against Lunsford, but we really should have hired Bohannon. I feel like we are farther away from being a good team than we were in 2010.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low