TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Werts is a good athlete. But IMO he needs to improve a hell of alot more from 2017. If he struggles early in the season. Would not hesitate to insert Brown or Frazier.
    What aspect of his game has been deficient for a red shirt freshman in a chaotic year?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The only guy that really had the resume was Houston, and he declined.
    I agree, but I will point out again that historically hiring coaches who have been vetted by being interim coaches is generally a low-risk move. George O'Leary, Dabo Swinny, Clay Helton, and Bill Stewart were all promoted interim coaches. The worst of that group is Stewart who had three 9-4 seasons at West Virginia.

Interim coaches that have made the cut arguably have a better track record than internal hires that never had to actually run the program.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I agree, but I will point out again that historically hiring coaches who have been vetted by being interim coaches is generally a low-risk move. George O'Leary, Dabo Swinny, Clay Helton, and Bill Stewart were all promoted interim coaches. The worst of that group is Stewart who had three 9-4 seasons at West Virginia.

Interim coaches that have made the cut arguably have a better track record than internal hires that never had to actually run the program.
    Not arguing against any of that. His statement about resume disguises his true bias, that he wanted a flex coach.....however I don't know of one that has a resume as good as Houston's and no one we've looked at since the Fritz hire has anything close to his resume.

He's always wanted Jasper, but that's a pipe dream and will never happen. That ship has sailed. Bohannon may have been a good choice but he's barely been a head coach, so it's not like he has an extensive resume from that standpoint.

We went after the best option, which was Houston, until he pulled out of the running. We then decided to make the decision from the best available candidates after that, and I think we made a good choice. It definitely made the transition easier between HCs. And then to top it off, we got lucky with getting DeBesse who lots of us have wanted in some capacity since Fritz left.

3. Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    What aspect of his game has been deficient for a red shirt freshman in a chaotic year?
    He could not pitch the football. Yes, I realize that horse has been beaten to death, but I am given to understand that pitching the football is a significant component of a triple-option offense.

The only guy that really had the resume was Houston, and he declined.
    Not arguing against any of that. His statement about resume disguises his true bias, that he wanted a flex coach.....however I don't know of one that has a resume as good as Houston's and no one we've looked at since the Fritz hire has anything close to his resume.

He's always wanted Jasper, but that's a pipe dream and will never happen. That ship has sailed. Bohannon may have been a good choice but he's barely been a head coach, so it's not like he has an extensive resume from that standpoint.

We went after the best option, which was Houston, until he pulled out of the running. We then decided to make the decision from the best available candidates after that, and I think we made a good choice. It definitely made the transition easier between HCs. And then to top it off, we got lucky with getting DeBesse who lots of us have wanted in some capacity since Fritz left.
    Just playing devil's advocate, since it's obviously a moot point, but:

Houston: 4 years FCS HC, never been on an FBS staff, FBS NC (also 3 years D-II HC experience)
    Bohannon: 3 years FCS HC, 10 years FBS experience, started a program from scratch => FCS quarterfinals in 3 years

Houston is clearly the stronger of the two, but I think dismissing Bohannon as someone who's "barely been a head coach" is a little bit of a disservice to his resume.

I still think we should have had a much deeper pool of legitimate candidates from which to choose the best available. That said, I like Lunsford and I really like the hiring moves he's made. If we are successful, given the choice I'd much rather it be with a guy like him that's easy to get behind and just MAYBE would be inclined to stick around slightly longer than a "hired gun" with absolutely no allegiance to the program who saw it only as a stepping stone.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate, since it's obviously a moot point, but:

Houston: 4 years FCS HC, never been on an FBS staff, FBS NC (also 3 years D-II HC experience)
    Bohannon: 3 years FCS HC, 10 years FBS experience, started a program from scratch => FCS quarterfinals in 3 years

Houston is clearly the stronger of the two, but I think dismissing Bohannon as someone who's "barely been a head coach" is a little bit of a disservice to his resume.

I still think we should have had a much deeper pool of legitimate candidates from which to choose the best available. That said, I like Lunsford and I really like the hiring moves he's made. If we are successful, given the choice I'd much rather it be with a guy like him that's easy to get behind and just MAYBE would be inclined to stick around slightly longer than a "hired gun" with absolutely no allegiance to the program who saw it only as a stepping stone.
    Fair enough, but to the person I originally responded to, the only real reason is because he runs the flex. Anything else didn't matter.

I do think the quality of the staff Houston was able to put together coming from Citadel where it was just the guys following him from LR spoke a lot to the connections and network he had in the coaching community. That was my biggest knock on him previously.

Houston would definitely be a rental though. Lunsford has never really lived outside of Georgia, and definitely loves it in Statesboro so we do have some advantages there. I'm not dumb enough to think he'll never leave, but if he is successful I think it would take a significant offer to get him to leave. We'd be insulated somewhat kind of like Satterfield at App from anything but high level G5 and decent or better P5 programs.

Lunsford is what TK was trying to achieve with Summers I think, but he just fumbled the ball on that whole process and then doubled down on a bad investment after 2016.
    Last edited by eaglewraith; 8th May 2018 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Do you take your tin foil hat off to sleep or just wear it all the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Why make yet another vague post about supporters and personal agendas? You never do explain yourself when anyone asks what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    My goodness....
    Quote Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
    A lot of us important supporters must have a lot personal agendas and are real busy advancing our prestige, 'cause there ain't much going on over on The Nest or The Perch...
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Why make yet another vague post about supporters and personal agendas? You never do explain yourself when anyone asks what you are talking about.

Heís too busy trying to figure out how heís going to EVER get across Savannah in only an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    He could not pitch the football. Yes, I realize that horse has been beaten to death, but I am given to understand that pitching the football is a significant component of a triple-option offense.
    I didn't see any problems with pitching in the second half of the season. Maybe that pitch to Fields against Georgia State that resulted in a turnoever could be partly blame on him but Fields bobbled it a bit.

In fact, I left out several of the plays where the QB fakes the hand off and then pitches to the second running back while standing in place because I assume it's not a read, but neither of the QBs had any problem with that play either.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Watch the ULL game and find some proof of how he can’t pitch the ball.

It’s hard to pitch for 200+ yards when you can’t pitch.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

10. Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Watch the ULL game and find some proof of how he canít pitch the ball.

Itís hard to pitch for 200+ yards when you canít pitch.
    Yeah, I guess one out of twelve games is an acceptable percentage? Werts must be much more decisive, fluid and consistent this year. Credit South Alabama too although not sure about the pitch ratio that game.