TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate, since it's obviously a moot point, but:

Houston: 4 years FCS HC, never been on an FBS staff, FBS NC (also 3 years D-II HC experience)
    Bohannon: 3 years FCS HC, 10 years FBS experience, started a program from scratch => FCS quarterfinals in 3 years

Houston is clearly the stronger of the two, but I think dismissing Bohannon as someone who's "barely been a head coach" is a little bit of a disservice to his resume.

I still think we should have had a much deeper pool of legitimate candidates from which to choose the best available. That said, I like Lunsford and I really like the hiring moves he's made. If we are successful, given the choice I'd much rather it be with a guy like him that's easy to get behind and just MAYBE would be inclined to stick around slightly longer than a "hired gun" with absolutely no allegiance to the program who saw it only as a stepping stone.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the NCAA put another rule in that limits the type of block a flex/TO offense uses. It appears it might be getting harder and harder to run that offense with the new blocking rules over the past 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Yeah, I guess one out of twelve games is an acceptable percentage? Werts must be much more decisive, fluid and consistent this year. Credit South Alabama too although not sure about the pitch ratio that game.
    He's talking about proof of improvement later in the season that people aren't noticing.

It's obvious that people remember how Werts looked against Auburn and that we lost the last game and that's it.

He did improve. Did he improve like he should have? No, but I fault that more on the HC than Werts. Is he where he needs to be? No, but if he keeps on the path he was on late last season then he should be able to get there. When Lunsford took over there was definitely a change in his performance, and the whole team as well.

Kado looks more fluid running the option cause he did it in a competent scheme for several years and is more comfortable in it. Unfortunately he has a noodle arm. Frazier looks like he has all the tools to be a great QB but when I watched him play in the first scrimmage he was short arming all his pitches like Sunshine from Remember the Titans. Unless Tomlin comes in and blows everything up, it'll be Werts. But I hope he gets pushed to be better by the other QBs on the roster too.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the NCAA put another rule in that limits the type of block a flex/TO offense uses. It appears it might be getting harder and harder to run that offense with the new blocking rules over the past 4 years.
    Blocks below the waist are close to being phased out. No blocking below the waist beyond 5 yards of the LoS and all low blocks outside the tackles have to be from the front.

Going to be harder and hard to rely on cut blocks as we move forward. I imagine that's why we're seeing less veer plays from flex teams as well.

4. Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Watch the ULL game and find some proof of how he can’t pitch the ball.

It’s hard to pitch for 200+ yards when you can’t pitch.
    One game? C'mon, if we are judging the success of any individual (or the whole team) on the performance in a single game against a team ranked around 110 then, yeah, sure, he was great, the team was great, nobody needs improvement.

IMO, he could not pitch the ball. Look at all the pitches he had in that ULL game, majority were all executed flat-footed immediately after he caught the snap, or maybe after he took one or two steps- but it was obvious that he was pitching it from the start of the play. My point is he cannot run toward the sideline with a trailing back, make a read and pitch the ball, IMO (see 6:27 mark in the 1Q of that game for a perfect example). Can he learn? Sure, absolutely, and I hope he does but after 12 games I have not seen the tools to make a read and execute the pitch if necessary. That is not good news for a 3O offense.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Blocks below the waist are close to being phased out. No blocking below the waist beyond 5 yards of the LoS and all low blocks outside the tackles have to be from the front.

Going to be harder and hard to rely on cut blocks as we move forward. I imagine that's why we're seeing less veer plays from flex teams as well.
    +1000 and maybe, just maybe our AD has seen this coming and why he isn't a huge fan of the flex/TO. Now regarding Werts, I would think that as an option QB, if I'm rolling right or left and I see no "lane" developing(and that is happening on the majority of plays), I may be hesitant to pitch the ball. So the one play in about 8 where the option should be the pitch, yep, you guessed it, I don't pitch it. We get better blocking this year IMO, you will see better pitches along with improved QB reads.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    One game? C'mon, if we are judging the success of any individual (or the whole team) on the performance in a single game against a team ranked around 110 then, yeah, sure, he was great, the team was great, nobody needs improvement.

IMO, he could not pitch the ball. Look at all the pitches he had in that ULL game, majority were all executed flat-footed immediately after he caught the snap, or maybe after he took one or two steps- but it was obvious that he was pitching it from the start of the play. My point is he cannot run toward the sideline with a trailing back, make a read and pitch the ball, IMO (see 6:27 mark in the 1Q of that game for a perfect example). Can he learn? Sure, absolutely, and I hope he does but after 12 games I have not seen the tools to make a read and execute the pitch if necessary. That is not good news for a 3O offense.
    We don’t know that yet.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post

https://youtu.be/jf2Ukvgtt9I?t=1196

I don't see where you see the problem here. Werts gets the linebacker to commit to him and then he pitches it to Kennedy on target and on time. Campbell misses a block and Kennedy gets nailed. Maybe you can criticize him for the decision there but there's nothing wrong with the delivery.

I'm also not seeing a lack of ability to make reads in the majority of the time stamps I made in the OP, either. I just don't see it. Werts even played a pretty good game against Coastal (though obviously the team overall didn't).
    Last edited by BillyBob; 8th May 2018 at 03:40 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

8. Default Re: Taking a closer look at quarterback play from last year

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

I don't see where you see the problem here. Werts gets the linebacker to commit to him and then he pitches it to Kennedy on target and on time. Campbell misses a block and Kennedy gets nailed. Maybe you can criticize him for the decision there but there's nothing wrong with the delivery.

I'm also not seeing a lack of ability to make reads in the majority of the time stamps I made in the OP, either. I just don't see it. Werts even played a pretty good game against Coastal (though obviously the team overall didn't).
    As a QB in a triple option offense, I see the decision (read) and delivery of a pitch as one and the same, relative to the overall pitch success. JMHO. I am more critical of his decisions, to be honest.

My impression has been (after just one year) that he is good when he knows what he wants to do with the ball before the snap. If he is going to keep it, he is good... if he is going to catch the snap and pitch right away, he is good... but if he has to run and make a read on the fly, I get nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    +1000 and maybe, just maybe our AD has seen this coming and why he isn't a huge fan of the flex/TO. Now regarding Werts, I would think that as an option QB, if I'm rolling right or left and I see no "lane" developing(and that is happening on the majority of plays), I may be hesitant to pitch the ball. So the one play in about 8 where the option should be the pitch, yep, you guessed it, I don't pitch it. We get better blocking this year IMO, you will see better pitches along with improved QB reads.
    +1 bazillion. O line play is critical

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

Now don’t get me wrong, that play was completely ruined by Campbell not making the block. But to my untrained eye Werts never gets the DE to commit to him. The DE is playing him but Werts is running too much laterally and never makes the DE actually commit to him because he’s still 3 yards away from the DE when he pitches it. Werts caught the snap at the 21 and was at the 23 when he pitched. I’d think you would want the QB to get closer to the LOS than that. If the LOS is the 26 and the DE is standing still (which is what he was doing and where he was) then he can still react to the pitch. I would think Werts needed to recognize the DE was reading him and get more vertical and make the DE commit.

The decision to pitch was right, but it was done too soon and they were too close together it looks like to me. Werts has to realize that the DE is playing him and attack that DE and force him to commit to Werts and make the pitch leaving a much bigger gap for the pitch man to run through. If executed correctly by Werts and Campbell then that play is about to pick up A LOT of yards. Probably strike up the band time.
    Last edited by half-n-half; 8th May 2018 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.