TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Texas State Football Game

Default Texas State Football Game

Trying to make plans early for tours and the like

Need some suggestions for family friendly things to do in
    and around San Marcos.

Plan is to fly in to Austin on Wednesday get a rental then drive to San Marcos
    Thursday and then to San Antonio Friday am for the weekend, leaving from there on Sunday.

I appreciate any suggestions

me, wife and eleven year old daughter

Thanks
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Default Re: Texas State Football Game

How early are you getting into Austin, spending the night there? I can ask around, I know a few who have been there. Obviously in San Antonio you'll have to go see the Alamo. I heard it was in the middle of city or a shopping center.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    How early are you getting into Austin, spending the night there? I can ask around, I know a few who have been there. Obviously in San Antonio you'll have to go see the Alamo. I heard it was in the middle of city or a shopping center.
    Plan on arriving Wednesday am to Austin - Lunch arrival
    can stay over or go to SanMarcos

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Its in the middle of the city. Not far from some pretty fun areas with river walk near by.

As for other things in the area, Wimberly is a really cool town and always has some events going on. The drive between there and Austin will also take you through some of the nice parts of hill country.

Its probably not going to be quite warm enough to float a river but if that changes I would recommend the Guadalupe instead of the comal or san marcos as it is more family friendly. If you do make it down that far, Greune and New Braunfels have some fun places. Id recommend the Gristmill restaurant in Greune if you make it down that way.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    Trying to make plans early for tours and the like

Need some suggestions for family friendly things to do in
    and around San Marcos.

Plan is to fly in to Austin on Wednesday get a rental then drive to San Marcos
    Thursday and then to San Antonio Friday am for the weekend, leaving from there on Sunday.

I appreciate any suggestions

me, wife and eleven year old daughter

Thanks
    We just took this trip in March. We had our 10-12 year old children with us.

Austin is a great city, but honestly wasn't the best with kids. Most of the scene is bars and music for over 21. San Marcos is a nice city near the interstate, but not as much too do.

San Antonio is great. Stay at a hotel on the Riverwalk. We stayed at the Omni Del Rio San Antonio and it was amazing. They have some great corporate rates if you call in; say Wal-Mart, Wells Fargo, Bank of America.

There is a garage directly across the street that is $9 a day for parking, which is fantastic. Beats $30 hotel or $50 valet.

The Alamo is right next to the Riverwalk. There are some great restaurants in San Antonio, and 3 days can go by quickly.

San Marcos is only an hour from San Antonio and is a very quick drive. New Braunfels is on the way to San Marcos and is worth a visit.

We were in the area for 6 days, and I wish we spent more time in San Antonio. Austin is great, but with a kid it is very limited. Univ. of Texas has a home game vs. Baylor that weekend so beware of hotel rates spiked.
    'Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad.' - Darrell Royal

So, you would suggest flying in and out of San Antonio and using that as our base of operations?

We would have some time Wednesday and Thursday morning and then Friday and Saturday to do things there.

Yes, I would fly in and out of San Antonio. You could always drive up to Austin for the day, but night life is not a good option with kids there.

I also recommend the Omni Del Rio (call hotel and use the Bank of America rate). I would 100% eat at the Mia Tierra in Market Square. The best Tex-Mex on planet earth.

The Market Square is pretty cool and has vendors and really need items.
    'Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad.' - Darrell Royal

Quote Originally Posted by AEKDB/Eagle View Post
    Yes, I would fly in and out of San Antonio. You could always drive up to Austin for the day, but night life is not a good option with kids there.

I also recommend the Omni Del Rio (call hotel and use the Bank of America rate). I would 100% eat at the Mia Tierra in Market Square. The best Tex-Mex on planet earth.

The Market Square is pretty cool and has vendors and really need items.
    I agree market square is a cool area but that statement is 1000000% false. If its not in Houston its not the best Tex-Mex.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    So, you would suggest flying in and out of San Antonio and using that as our base of operations?

We would have some time Wednesday and Thursday morning and then Friday and Saturday to do things there.

Austin if just you and the Mrs.

San Antonio for the family.

The drive from San Antonio up will take a couple of hours, vs. less than one from Austin ... From Austin it isn't a bad drive unless a tanker truck decides to explode and block up I-35. If that happens, you'll get acquainted driving on some goat trails through Kyle, Mountain City and Buda, Tx . Technically, it wasn't a goat trail but the Jack C. Hays Trail, lol. I thought I'd never get off that road, and it is remote.
    Last edited by Eagle22; 16th May 2018 at 07:49 PM.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.