TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Football Roster Updated

Default Re: 2018 Football Roster Updated

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Govan and Dean weren’t good athletes?

Anyway, I was joking about Williams, though we were probably his only FBS offer and hopefully didn’t make any promises.

Still, there are lots of guys in the front seven of the defense (including Williams) who played TE in HS. If one or more of them can’t break through (looking especially at Randy Wade and Tre Allen here), I wouldn’t be upset if he could help us at a position of need.

We are definitely going to have to do some position changes either in the fall or spring. The first two I wish we would take a look at are Michaud and Glenn. They are just wasting away at WR so far anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    We are definitely going to have to do some position changes either in the fall or spring. The first two I wish we would take a look at are Michaud and Glenn. They are just wasting away at WR so far anyways.
    I agree. But where do you try those two out? I don't really see them playing any other position in this offense. But they are wasting away in that WR group where we seem to have a lot of bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by BossDev/Eagle View Post
    I agree. But where do you try those two out? I don't really see them playing any other position in this offense. But they are wasting away in that WR group where we seem to have a lot of bodies.

TE/H-back

That’s the position I was referencing position changes to. Otherwise we are looking at a bunch of true freshman or even worse a bunch of walk ons.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Govan and Dean weren’t good athletes?

Anyway, I was joking about Williams, though we were probably his only FBS offer and hopefully didn’t make any promises.

Still, there are lots of guys in the front seven of the defense (including Williams) who played TE in HS. If one or more of them can’t break through (looking especially at Randy Wade and Tre Allen here), I wouldn’t be upset if he could help us at a position of need.
    Shouldn't have worded it like that. Of course Govan ran pretty well for his size and Dean was a decent back for us. I'm just saying I think it's a position that can poach extras from other positions and have guys that play the position well. With all the DEs on the roster surely one of them can play H-back.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Shouldn't have worded it like that. Of course Govan ran pretty well for his size and Dean was a decent back for us. I'm just saying I think it's a position that can poach extras from other positions and have guys that play the position well. With all the DEs on the roster surely one of them can play H-back.

Yeah, but do you want a warm body at TE or somebody like Govan or Richardson? I want somebody that can play the position well not somebody that can just play the position. I think the TE/H-back position is more important than you are giving it credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Yeah, but do you want a warm body at TE or somebody like Govan or Richardson? I want somebody that can play the position well not somebody that can just play the position. I think the TE/H-back position is more important than you are giving it credit for.
    Unless you think being buried on the depth chart at your position automatically means being a warm body, then that's not what I'm saying. Nardo Govan in 2013 was behind William Banks in yards and YPC. If Swope and Dean weren't injured he's probably only playing in complete garbage time. Govan also moved to DE and got a whopping one start between 2015 and 2016. Jeff Ward was probably looking at not playing much under Fritz and became a decent H-back. And of course Ellerson has overall played the position decently being a SWAC quarterback.

And if our TE situation is really so dire, why didn't we sign even one?
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

The TE position title is less important in our offense. The ability to play H-Back is.

8. Default Re: 2018 Football Roster Updated

I'd say the H back is the most important skill position in this offense outside of QB.

I watched a lot of UNM v. UNLV 2017... the H back for UNM was basically responsible for hitting the key block on 90% of the explosive runs.

Not joking. IIRC, Williams was a late qualifier and on his way to JUCO before we landed him.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I'd say the H back is the most important skill position in this offense outside of QB.

I watched a lot of UNM v. UNLV 2017... the H back for UNM was basically responsible for hitting the key block on 90% of the explosive runs.
    It's a difficult position to fill, IMO. Ideally, you want upper-classmen with some innate athleticism and a lot of weight-room time and thoroughly-repped technique.

You don't have to be a great athlete, but you have to be athletic enough to be a "cruiser," and you should be strong enough to square up and block DEs and LBs. Last year, Alexander wasn't quite athletic enough for the former, and Richardson wasn't quite strong for the latter.

The latter is also why I'm skeptical about Michaud. I'd rather see him and Glenn knocking down CBs while LaRoche scores touchdowns. The number of receptions isn't the sole criterion for a WR's success in this offense.

Basically, the position is like A-Back, TE, and FB rolled into one. Conventional, pro-style FB is possibly the closest match as far as skillset goes. Receiving isn't particularly important, though.
    Last edited by pete4256; 17th May 2018 at 02:03 PM.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings