TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Football Roster Updated

Default Re: 2018 Football Roster Updated

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    And if our TE situation is really so dire, why didn't we sign even one?
    I don't know. It's a mystery, like "why are we 4-17 over the past 21 games?"
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    It's a difficult position to fill, IMO. Ideally, you want upper-classmen with some innate athleticism and a lot of weight-room time and thoroughly-repped technique.

You don't have to be a great athlete, but you have to be athletic enough to be a "cruiser," and you should be strong enough to square up and block DEs and LBs. Last year, Alexander wasn't quite athletic enough for the former, and Richardson wasn't quite strong for the latter.

The latter is also why I'm skeptical about Michaud. I'd rather see him and Glenn knocking down CBs while LaRoche scores touchdowns. The number of receptions isn't the sole criterion for a WR's success in this offense.

Basically, the position is like A-Back, TE, and FB rolled into one. Conventional, pro-style FB is possibly the closest match as far as skillset goes. Receiving isn't particularly important, though.

If you are going to have Michaud and Glenn at WR with a non pass catching H-back then you better have an OL like we did in 2015. Or better. Because every defender thatís not a CB will be in the box.

But also havenít you been complaining about the lack of speed at WR? How does that comment fit with wanting Glenn and Michaud at WR?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    But also haven’t you been complaining about the lack of speed at WR? How does that comment fit with wanting Glenn and Michaud at WR?
    I like rotating WRs with a wide range of skillsets. It keeps defenders' heads spinning.

Unless, of course, you have a guy like Demaryious Thomas who is the biggest, strongest, fastest skill player on the team, not to mention the one with the best ball skills. He can play every down.

Otherwise, shuffle them in and out and create match-up problems accordingly. I don't think that Michaud and Glenn are non-entities as receivers against man-coverage (like Williford and Barker were), so IMO they aren't wasted at WR.

I agree that we're very deep at WR, though. I just don't know that either Michaud or Glenn has the beef to consistently kick out DEs and lead RBs through the hole on split zone plays. Either one would be fine as a TE on the LoS and running routes. In fact, we saw both line up tight on the LoS a lot in 2017, and we'll probably see it again in 2018 (I haven't looked to see how often UNM played their WRs tight or asked them to put a hand in the dirt).

That's why I've watched HS footage of guys like Williams, Wade, Allen, Hunt, and C.J. Wright playing FB/TE (with Wright being nearly unbelievably dominant as a lead blocker).

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the underclassmen (obviously not Hunt or C.J. Wright) winds up at TE. Neither would I be surprised if a RB like Logan Wright winds up there if he can't crack the upper end of the RB rotation.

The position gets no glory, but it's INCREDIBLY important and more difficult to man than one might think.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Otherwise, shuffle them in and out and create match-up problems accordingly. I don't think that Michaud and Glenn are non-entities as receivers against man-coverage (like Williford and Barker were), so IMO they aren't wasted at WR.

Yeah, but when have we done that? If we are going to start using them as 6í4/6í5 WRís then Iím all for them playing WR. But through 2 seasons so far that hasnít happened. We donít line them up wide and throw jump balls in 1 on 1 coverage.

And I donít know if they can block well enough at H-back either. Iím just saying if we are going to have to move people there then those 2 should be given the first look because IF they could block well enough then they could be deadly at H-back.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

We arenít deep at WR. Just about every one we are running out there is JAG. We need playmakers to emerge at that position. Only position of depth on the offensive side of the ball is OG.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    We aren’t deep at WR. Just about every one we are running out there is JAG. We need playmakers to emerge at that position. Only position of depth on the offensive side of the ball is OG.
    Sometimes “JAG” is a young player or someone who hasn’t gotten a chance to make his mark.

I do know that—including slot, which is receiver position in this offense—we return eight lettermen in Obe Fortune, Malik Henry, Dexter Carter, Deondre Glenn, Darion Anderson, Mark Michaud, Colby Ransom, and John Wesley Kennedy.

There’s a lot of solid experience there, and at least a couple have the ability to really break out.

To this group, we add four incoming freshmen, two of whom look fast as all get out (Barganare and Ford).

IMO, that’s deep, with a wide range of skill sets—as long as Fortune gets healthy and Bargnare and Ford run as well as their HS film indicates.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash

7. Default Re: 2018 Football Roster Updated

These receivers need to worry about blocking because they were horrendous last year.

8. Default Re: 2018 Football Roster Updated

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    These receivers need to worry about blocking because they were horrendous last year.
    To be fair....

Everything was horrible. I’m amazed the eagle didn’t run off. Would have been par.

Updated list to include Jallah Zeze who signed earlier this month.
    Josiah McDaniel
    B.S. in Journalism, 2003
    Statesboro, GA
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." --I Corinthians 13:11

We need a ton of red shirt and true frosh to really pan out this year.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low