TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New basketball scheduling?

Default Re: New basketball scheduling?

Here's a sneak peak for my gsufans friends... But be sure to buy a paper or give my story a click or 12 when it hits the website

The gist of it is that the plan is to split into an East and West division. Each team will play home and home against the other teams in the division (10 games) and 3 home and 3 away games against the other division. That gets you into early February and then things get weird.

The big proposal is to take the standings after those 16 games and split the conference into pods with the 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12 teams. Those groups of three will play home and home with each other, bringing the total to 20 conference games played.

The tournament will only include the top 10 teams, so only one will advance out of the lowest pod. Meanwhile, the 1-3 pod is guaranteed a top-3 seed in the tournament, regardless of what the final conference standings are after pod play. Furthermore, the 4-10 seeds will be filled out according to ranking standards used by the selection committee on performance throughout the entire schedule instead of conference W-L.

1-2 seeds get auto bye to semis. 3-4 seeds get auto bye to quarters. Every game before quarter finals played on-campus to cut down on lack of turnout in NOLA.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Any format where one loss eliminates you needs to DIAF.

A 13 team double elimination tournament would take like 8 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    A 13 team double elimination tournament would take like 8 days.
    I was thinking 4-team best of 3 or round-robin. That would be six games in the round-robin and 6-9 games in the best-of-3. There's absolutely no reason at all why the 10th-place or 12th-place teams need to be in the tournament.

Of course we won't do that because the ADs and coaches want to have their team get a shot at the slot machine to help their job security.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

I was thinking 4-team best of 3 or round-robin. That would be six games in the round-robin and 6-9 games in the best-of-3. There's absolutely no reason at all why the 10th-place or 12th-place teams need to be in the tournament.

Of course we won't do that because the ADs and coaches want to have their team get a shot at the slot machine to help their job security.

NCAA is about excitement. Not good basketball. What you have suggested would diminish the interest in NCAA basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    NCAA is about excitement. Not good basketball. What you have suggested would diminish the interest in NCAA basketball.
    If the Sun Belt tournament was something that would actually attract TV audiences and get good in-person attendance, I would agree with you. We're not the ACC or the Big 10, though. Add to that that at-larges are getting scarce for mid-majors, there's just no point to it anymore.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

If the Sun Belt tournament was something that would actually attract TV audiences and get good in-person attendance, I would agree with you. We're not the ACC or the Big 10, though. Add to that that at-larges are getting scarce for mid-majors, there's just no point to it anymore.
    Guys, I know you think I'm crazy but a time is coming where there will be two NCAA Tournaments(for the major sports, Basketball/football), its pretty much in place for football(no G5 will EVER be in the final 4 or 8, if they expand, which I doubt they do. You will have a P5 Tournament and a G5 Tournament for hoops and baseball and no doubt softball.

Mid majors don't have a great record of success in basketball, but at least they get in. What about women? UConn.....

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Mid majors don't have a great record of success in basketball, but at least they get in. What about women? UConn.....
    There was a time (up until say 1990) that mid-majors (Louisiana Tech...even Fresno State and to some extent Old Dominion) did very well in women's basketball and were consistent challengers to Tennessee. Then the money schools decided it was worth their while. In some ways UConn is a vestige of the "old way." The P5 schools are creeping closer every year.

I'm excited to see the conference try something a little different. the worst thing that can happen is we only get one team in the tourney, and well......

hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.