TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New basketball scheduling?

Default Re: New basketball scheduling?

I like the potential of matching up with CUSA. I also like not playing nonD1 schools. I know our schedule this year is much better but years past have been ridiculous. Some of the teams our Intramural kids could have curb stomped. That helps no one to play that kind of team. I know scheduling is difficult and we are not the only school struggling. I bet CMB is all in for this.

2. Default Re: New basketball scheduling?

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    Here's a sneak peak for my gsufans friends... But be sure to buy a paper or give my story a click or 12 when it hits the website

The gist of it is that the plan is to split into an East and West division. Each team will play home and home against the other teams in the division (10 games) and 3 home and 3 away games against the other division. That gets you into early February and then things get weird.

The big proposal is to take the standings after those 16 games and split the conference into pods with the 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12 teams. Those groups of three will play home and home with each other, bringing the total to 20 conference games played.

The tournament will only include the top 10 teams, so only one will advance out of the lowest pod. Meanwhile, the 1-3 pod is guaranteed a top-3 seed in the tournament, regardless of what the final conference standings are after pod play. Furthermore, the 4-10 seeds will be filled out according to ranking standards used by the selection committee on performance throughout the entire schedule instead of conference W-L.

1-2 seeds get auto bye to semis. 3-4 seeds get auto bye to quarters. Every game before quarter finals played on-campus to cut down on lack of turnout in NOLA.
    It looks like this is official, as of today. Seems a bit more complicated then it needs to be, but we will see how it plays out. I like to see changes being made, especially less teams in the tournament and the first couple rounds on campuses.

One thing I am not crazy about is we could potentially play another SBC program 5 times in a single season, yawn.

This is a joke. And will do nothing but cause unrest in the grand scheme of things.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

4. Default Re: New basketball scheduling?

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    It looks like this is official, as of today. Seems a bit more complicated then it needs to be, but we will see how it plays out. I like to see changes being made, especially less teams in the tournament and the first couple rounds on campuses.

One thing I am not crazy about is we could potentially play another SBC program 5 times in a single season, yawn.

If this had happened this year, you guys would have played Georgia State 5 times. That's a lot of hate for one basketball season,.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post

The level of unorthodox complexity in this approach seems like something that might arise out a sports management(?) major's master's thesis project. i.e., how can you work as many as possible of the novel theoretical concepts you've learned into one groundbreaking scenario?

I realize that there seems to be some consensus that some adjustments would be appropriate, but--and I have no idea as to the answer--is anyone else anywhere doing something this complicated?

The goal is to get an extra bid to the NCAA's, I doubt this will have any sway in the NCAA's picks. Just a group of decent teams knocking each other out.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    The goal is to get an extra bid to the NCAA's, I doubt this will have any sway in the NCAA's picks. Just a group of decent teams knocking each other out.
    Agree

Not going to happen, the OOC schedules are too weak.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I think the more attainable goal of this schedule change would be to get better seeding for the one Sun Belt slot that is available. If through a stronger RPI a Belt team could earn an 11 or a 12 seed instead of a 14 or 15, that team would stand a better chance of making it through the first round and earn an additional (conference splitting) payout for making it through a round.

10. Default Re: New basketball scheduling?

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    The level of unorthodox complexity in this approach seems like something that might arise out a sports management(?) major's master's thesis project. i.e., how can you work as many as possible of the novel theoretical concepts you've learned into one groundbreaking scenario?

I realize that there seems to be some consensus that some adjustments would be appropriate, but--and I have no idea as to the answer--is anyone else anywhere doing something this complicated?

Not to my knowledge, it just has the feel of a desperate conference implementing an innovative novel concept that they hope will be seen as the future in G5 college basketball.

In reality, as previously mentioned, it will increase the probability of SB programs knocking each other off and still just sending an auto-qualifier to the tournament because our OOC schedules are too weak to get any at-large bids. Ironically, the only thing we did to improve that aspect (OOC scheduling) is make it mandatory to have one G5 home game and one G5 away every year (which most programs do already).