TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New basketball scheduling?

1. Default Re: New basketball scheduling?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfan View Post
    If this had happened this year, you guys would have played Georgia State 5 times. That's a lot of hate for one basketball season,.
    Building on your example, we could have played 5 games against UL, too. So, potentially we could have played the same two teams 10 times the end of the season.... seriously, who wants to see that? That is really not that far fetched of an scenario when you look at the new plan.

I would think this is a budgetary nightmare for the programs, as we do not know if we are ending the season by driving to Atlanta or Troy... or flying to Arlington or Lafayette... or New Orleans, etc.

Default Re: New basketball scheduling?

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Building on your example, we could have played 5 games against UL, too. So, potentially we could have played the same two teams 10 times the end of the season.... seriously, who wants to see that?

I would think this is a budgetary nightmare for the programs, as we do not know if we are ending the season by driving to Atlanta or Troy... or flying to Arlington or Lafayette... or New Orleans, etc.
    +1, it smells like a gimmick.

3. Default Re: New basketball scheduling?

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    +1, it smells like a gimmick.
    It's weird, it just seems like a whole lot of stupid for something that the conference presidents allegedly gleaned up.

Were any coaches consulted about this? Has anybody asked coach B what he thinks? Seems a little too complicated to me. I didn’t see what tie breakers will be to determine who is in what pod in case of a tie. Oh well. It is what it is, play it out to the end I guess.

It amazes me how the SBC can make something so simple, so difficult. Why not leave the conference schedule the way it was before this change, and only allow the top four teams at the end of the season to make the conference tournament and the regular season champ host the conference tournament at their place. At least it would look better on tv with more people at the games besides the band, cheerleaders, media and a few parents.

There is no reason to have 10 teams make the conference tournament. The SBC isn't a P5 conference where their conference tournaments make extra money for the teams and helps teams on the bubble have a chance to win their way for an at-large into the NCAA tourney. But I know that my idea will never come to fruition because the AD's and coaches of bottom dwellers want as many teams as possible in the conference tournament so they have a chance to play for the automatic-bid even though they didn't play worth a crap during the regular season.

I'm telling you, this is the result of some consultants trying to justify their fees and flex their academic muscles by reaching deep into their field-specific literature and throwing every theoretical concept at the 'problem'. This kind of work product usually represents a first draft that gets beaten into something more practical and beneficial by the group of stakeholders charged with implementing it, unless nobody at the table is paying enough attention and no one speaks up. All speculation by me, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I'm telling you, this is the result of some consultants trying to justify their fees and flex their academic muscles by reaching deep into their field-specific literature and throwing every theoretical concept at the 'problem'. This kind of work product usually represents a first draft that gets beaten into something more practical and beneficial by the group of stakeholders charged with implementing it, unless nobody at the table is paying enough attention and no one speaks up. All speculation by me, of course.
    +1, some consultant group made some "coin", we arnt alone, CUSA is doing pretty much the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Waymore38 View Post
    It amazes me how the SBC can make something so simple, so difficult. Why not leave the conference schedule the way it was before this change, and only allow the top four teams at the end of the season to make the conference tournament and the regular season champ host the conference tournament at their place. At least it would look better on tv with more people at the games besides the band, cheerleaders, media and a few parents.

There is no reason to have 10 teams make the conference tournament. The SBC isn't a P5 conference where their conference tournaments make extra money for the teams and helps teams on the bubble have a chance to win their way for an at-large into the NCAA tourney. But I know that my idea will never come to fruition because the AD's and coaches of bottom dwellers want as many teams as possible in the conference tournament so they have a chance to play for the automatic-bid even though they didn't play worth a crap during the regular season.
    Very excellent points. There is no reason to travel between sites in the earlier rounds. Waste of time and money. Never thought about the 4 team idea, gives the top seed a better guarantee of actually winning the tournament instead of having an off night.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

9. Default Re: New basketball scheduling?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Very excellent points. There is no reason to travel between sites in the earlier rounds. Waste of time and money. Never thought about the 4 team idea, gives the top seed a better guarantee of actually winning the tournament instead of having an off night.
    Yeah, and worse case scenario is the SBC sends a #4 seed to the NCAA Tournament and not the #6 seed, like last year.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Yeah, and worse case scenario is the SBC sends a #4 seed to the NCAA Tournament and not the #6 seed, like last year.
    Yep. And ends up with a 15 seed.