TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 171

Thread: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    7,368

    Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    [QUOTE=eaglefan200;909738]
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    And what everyone is trying to tell you is that we don't have the resources to waste on intelligent recruiting /QUOTE]
    It's rather cheap to send a letter of interest to thousands of possible recruits throughout our 50 States. If we don't reach out and offer, we will never know the possibilities. Perhaps there's a kid in Hawaii, Washington State or Minnesota who would loved to play at Georgia Southern. If ignored, we will never know.
    so, in one post you talk about "intelligent" recruiting and infer that we would do our due diligence to pick out the ones that just want a free trip across the country for a visit. But in the next one you say we should send letters of interest to "thousands of possible recruits throughout our 50 states". Which is it, do we blindly send out thousands of letters to anyone with a pulse that appears on some recruiting list or do we take the time to figure out who is real and who isn't?

    It isn't the money for the stamp that we don't have. It's the time that is wasted figuring out whether some random kid in NY or NV or CA is 1) any good 2) fits our system, 3) has any interest in coming across the country, and 4) then spending the time to actually recruit and woo the kid to come here when we can find 30 just like him within 4 hours of campus that are just as good and are more likely to actually come.

    Most kids don't want to go across country unless its for a top tier program. And even some that do get homesick and go right back after a year.
    Last edited by KJ Eagle; 25th May 2018 at 09:20 AM.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  2. #32

    Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    I'm hearing this argument about only recruiting Georgia or neighboring states. We all can agree that Southern has a limited budget, but wealso can agree that the states outside of Bama, FL, NC, TENN, SC offer something different to the team chemistry. Having recruits from Midwest, Northeast, West Coast can bring something that the 5 states we predominately recruit can’t. These recruits bring new ideas, characters, and increase the notoriety of the Southern name. When we have an OC who has been around the United States and built numerous connections to recruiting territories foreign to Georgia Southern then we should use that to our advantage.

    In the past 6 years, we have had OLB/DE from Texas, WR/TEfrom NY, PK from NJ, RB from OH etc. I’m curious to see the GPA / degrees theseathletes have achieved or enrolled in.
    Georgia Southern should always recruit hard in the 300 mileradius that includes the cities of Jacksonville and Atlanta. Landing a few snowbirdrecruits from the north or dustbowl kids out west expands the brand.

  3. Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    Quote Originally Posted by NewJersey GATA View Post
    I'm hearing this argument about only recruiting Georgia or neighboring states. We all can agree that Southern has a limited budget, but wealso can agree that the states outside of Bama, FL, NC, TENN, SC offer something different to the team chemistry. Having recruits from Midwest, Northeast, West Coast can bring something that the 5 states we predominately recruit can’t. These recruits bring new ideas, characters, and increase the notoriety of the Southern name. When we have an OC who has been around the United States and built numerous connections to recruiting territories foreign to Georgia Southern then we should use that to our advantage.

    In the past 6 years, we have had OLB/DE from Texas, WR/TEfrom NY, PK from NJ, RB from OH etc. I’m curious to see the GPA / degrees theseathletes have achieved or enrolled in.
    Georgia Southern should always recruit hard in the 300 mileradius that includes the cities of Jacksonville and Atlanta. Landing a few snowbirdrecruits from the north or dustbowl kids out west expands the brand.

    It ain't a brand, it's college football. Us against them, ours against yours. I'd rather win with Southerners than yankee carpetbaggers from Ohio any day of the week.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

  4. Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    It ain't a brand, it's college football. Us against them, ours against yours. I'd rather win with Southerners than yankee carpetbaggers from Ohio any day of the week.
    There's that good ole boy logic that's been holding us back for decades. Georgia Southern has had great players in years past from other parts of the country. You're telling me you'd rather pass on players like Younghoe Koo just because they aren't "southern boys?" Glad you aren't running the show.

  5. #35

    Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    Don't go 800 miles to get what you can get from 200 miles away.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  6. Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Don't go 800 miles to get what you can get from 200 miles away.
    Don't go 800 miles to find a future Lou Groza Award finalist when you can just get a kicker off the soccer team. Got it.

  7. Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    [QUOTE=NewJersey GATA;909821]I'm hearing this argument about only recruiting Georgia or neighboring states. We all can agree that Southern has a limited budget, but wealso can agree that the states outside of Bama, FL, NC, TENN, SC offer something different to the team chemistry. Having recruits from Midwest, Northeast, West Coast can bring something that the 5 states we predominately recruit can’t. These recruits bring new ideas, characters, and increase the notoriety of the Southern name. When we have an OC who has been around the United States and built numerous connections to recruiting territories foreign to Georgia Southern then we should use that to our advantage.

    True and accurate.

  8. #38

    Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Don't go 800 miles to find a future Lou Groza Award finalist when you can just get a kicker off the soccer team. Got it.
    There's nothing about signing Koo that violates that maxim. We got him because scholarships for kickers are scarce and it's easier to lure players from farther away.

    Guys like Younghoe Koo and LA Ramsby notwithstanding, most of the players we have gotten from far away states are guys that are career backup guys or guys that leave to be closer to home when not able to crack the two-deep.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  9. #39

    Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Don't go 800 miles to find a future Lou Groza Award finalist when you can just get a kicker off the soccer team. Got it.
    You missed the point. We went that far because we couldn’t find one nearby. Same with Ramsby. Those are special cases in which we pursued a team-specific need outside of the footprint.

    This isn’t a hard concept to understand. Many programs now list an assistant coach’s recruiting “territory.” Footprints correlerate to the size of the program. Wofford’s assistants, for instance, are assigned to regions in SC. Ours are assigned to much larger territories. We probably have two guys, for instance, working the state of Florida.

    A lot of this is probably negotiated before an assistant signs the contract. DeBesse, for instance, recruits within a couple of hours of Statesboro. He probably asked for fewer overnights as a condition of employment.

    Other territories just make sense. IIRC, Cabral recruits much of Alabama (which I’m sure he did for Samford), as well as—again, IIRC—the Gulf Coast south of Tampa (I think he’s from Naples).

    Anyway, when you look at this list of territories, you’ll see how much these assistants are on the road recruiting, and just how big of an area they have to cover. It’s plenty big enough for a program of our budget and expectations.

    Sure, we’ll get the odd player from outside the Southeast, but that’s normally based on word-of-mouth from the staff’s previous coaching gigs (anyone remember the RB we got out of Oklahoma or the OL from Pennsylvania who didn’t make it through one semester?). How many of the SHSU territory players from Fritz’s first class washed out?

    With APR, it’s even more important that we KNOW the recruits. We can’t do that unless they’re close. We can’t hop on a plane to Washington and bring a HS QB breakfast in bed. If he’s in Hinesville, though, we can keep close tabs on him for three or four years before bringing him in.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

  10. #40

    Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

    I posted this recently elsewhere on another thread, but no less a talent evaluator than one Pat "Doc" Spurgeon recently said to a close friend of mine quite specifically on this subject "any money Georgia Southern spends on plane tickets for recruiting is a waste of resources".

    So . . . there's that.

Similar Threads

  1. More High School Talent Coming Our Way?
    By gatadotcom in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30th May 2009, 04:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •