TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

1. Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    If he’s in Hinesville, though, we can keep close tabs on him for three or four years before bringing him in.
    Hinesville? Seriously. Yeah I know Anthony and Frazier 😀. If we can bring in coaches from different backgrounds and states, why not be opened minded and apply optimistic standards as well to recruits who desire the opportunity to play at Georgia Southern. Not promoting mass recruiting changes, but if there's interested diamonds in the rough outside our area of operation, why not casually pursue starting with cheap letters of interest. Why limit ourselves to a fish bowl when the ocean is unlimited?

Default Re: The most talent-rich high schools in America are…

I think GS was both Koo's and Ramsby's only offer so I don't know if "pursued" is the right term. Ramsby was recruited as an option QB and he sat out his junior year in high school with a torn ACL so was kind of a gamble. Every year there are going to be offers that are given out just because they have room left over. Those two worked out well for GS but shouldn't be used as a guideline for recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    http://footballscoop.com/news/study-...hools-america/
    A total of 101 high schools have produced at least 30 FBS signees over the past 14 recruiting cycles, an just north of two per year, according to data compiled by CFB Data Lab. Thirty-seven schools produced 42 signees — three per year — and 13 high schools held an average at least four recruits per year.
    High Schools Producing Most FBS Signees, 2004-17
    1. St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) — 130
    2. Miami Central (Fla.) — 78
    3. Glenville (Cleveland, Ohio) — 74
    4. DeSoto (Texas), Stephenson (Stone Mountain, Ga.) — 70
    6. Cedar Hill (Texas) — 69
    7. Buford (Ga.) — 63
    8. Long Beach Poly (Calif.) — 61
    9. Dallas Skyline (Texas) — 60
    10. DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, Md.) — 58

A total of 18 states made the list, easily led by Florida’s 27 high schools. Texas was a comfortable second with 20, and Georgia surpassed California as the third best state for one-stop shopping.

Number of High Schools With At Least 30 FBS Signees, 2004-17
    1. Florida — 27
    2. Texas — 20
    3. Georgia — 11
    4. California — 10
    5. Ohio — 7
    6. Louisiana — 5
    7. Arizona, Hawaii — 3
    9. Alabama, Maryland, Oklahoma, Utah — 2
    13. Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania — 1

CFB Data Lab also analyzed which high schools produce the highest-rated recruits, finding 18 schools that averaged a 3.0 star rating or greater, including half of California’s 10 representatives.

3.2 stars: Westlake Village Oaks Christian (Calif.), Our Lady of Good Counsel (Olney, Md.), Junipero Serra (Calif.)

3.1 stars: Columbus Carver (Ga.), Las Vegas Bishop Gorman (Nev.), Tyrone Sandy Creek (Ga.)

3.0 stars: St. John Bosco (Calif.), Detroit Cass Tech (Mich.), Orange County Lutheran (Calif.), Powder Springs McEachern (Ga.), Dallas Skyline (Texas), Jacksonville Trinity Christian (Fla.), DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, Md.), Tallahassee Godby (Fla.), Orlando Phillips (Fla.), Euless Trinity (Texas), Long Beach Poly (Calif.), Denton Ryan (Texas)

Top High Schools - Interactive Map
    https://public.tableau.com/profile/a...ared/HN48B4CXB
    Personally I would put Ga #2 after Fla. I see how they do this and understand it but to me, and this is just my opinion, Ga produces better more quality football players along with Fla than any other state. I go to allot of games in Alabama as well and they to me produce just as good quality players as Ga and Fla but just dont have the numbers because they are about half the size of Ga population wise. If I had to say what 4 states produced the best football players, not the most, it would Ga, Fla, Tex, and Ala. Im sure it has allot to do with the seriousness of high school football in these states plus the fact that they all just have the joes in these regions. I am amazed at Opelika high schools new foothall indoor practice facility and Auburn high has a new one as well. Folks would be shocked seeing these things and the fact they are high schools not colleges.
    1989 15-0 National Champions

"Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have" Erk.

There's no arguing your logic, but I'm implying that we should NEVER limit our recruiting to the Southeast only. Our current HC and assistants have built contacts over their careers with hundreds of coaches(High School and College). Recruiting is similar as working for a large corporation or Federal Government with numerous branches and territories.

There’s also a lot of HS kids who want to leave the North and attend college in the Sun filled South. Staying at home for 4 years isn’t an adventure. I’m not saying to recruit a kid from Virginia as a Sophomore like you would with a kid from Hinesville, GA, but if a former colleague / player now HS head coach reaches out to you (as a Southern Assistant Coach), you don’t dismiss because the kid lives 600 miles away. Remember that kid may be getting an offer from Marshall, UVA, Temple, but is getting no love from a run oriented offense in the south. Always keep an open mind!

As for CULTURE of a Football program, having a blend /mixture of different cultures and nationalities is often healthy for any sports athletics. It obviously has worked well for the state of Georgia (especially the past 20 years) and the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by NewJersey GATA View Post
    I'm hearing this argument about only recruiting Georgia or neighboring states. We all can agree that Southern has a limited budget, but wealso can agree that the states outside of Bama, FL, NC, TENN, SC offer something different to the team chemistry. Having recruits from Midwest, Northeast, West Coast can bring something that the 5 states we predominately recruit can’t. These recruits bring new ideas, characters, and increase the notoriety of the Southern name. When we have an OC who has been around the United States and built numerous connections to recruiting territories foreign to Georgia Southern then we should use that to our advantage.

In the past 6 years, we have had OLB/DE from Texas, WR/TEfrom NY, PK from NJ, RB from OH etc. I’m curious to see the GPA / degrees theseathletes have achieved or enrolled in.
    Georgia Southern should always recruit hard in the 300 mileradius that includes the cities of Jacksonville and Atlanta. Landing a few snowbirdrecruits from the north or dustbowl kids out west expands the brand.
    ca

Bama probably could be as successful as they have been over the past few years had they only recruited Ga, Fla, and Ala, and Saban has allot to do with it as well, but if you look at Bamas roster I am shocked to see, over the last several years, the guys coming from all over the country. If you looked at a Bama roster 15 years ago you would have seen about 80% players from Ala, the rest from Ga and Fla. Now they are all over the place. UGA IMO has the best opportunity of all because they have the best state to recruit, at least top 3, right at home and dont have to really share the guys they want and all they want can literally be found right here in Ga. Fla has to share 4 and 5 stars between 3 major players and a couple more now that are coming around. Same in Texas. I always said Georgia should win the NC every year with the resources they have and the talent right in their front yard with no one in state that could really challenge. Not yet anyway, hopefully in a few years we can.
    1989 15-0 National Champions

"Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have" Erk.

When you're winning, it's probably a lot easier to get players from anywhere.
    For chrissakes UGA has five star top recruits in the nation lining up behind other former five star top recruits in the nation already on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    I think GS was both Koo's and Ramsby's only offer so I don't know if "pursued" is the right term. Ramsby was recruited as an option QB and he sat out his junior year in high school with a torn ACL so was kind of a gamble. Every year there are going to be offers that are given out just because they have room left over. Those two worked out well for GS but shouldn't be used as a guideline for recruitment.
    IIRC, Ramsby had at least a couple of MAC offers to play RB. We chased him big-time as our lone QB in that class.

I’m sure Koo had other opportunities, and he was understandably leery of coming all the way to rural Georgia. We laid it on him thick, putting together a Korean-American-specific campus visit. We pursued him hard. We can’t afford to do that for many recruits—just the special cases.
    Last edited by pete4256; 25th May 2018 at 12:02 PM.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    It ain't a brand, it's college football. Us against them, ours against yours. I'd rather win with Southerners than yankee carpetbaggers from Ohio any day of the week.
    I’m sorry...that statement is a special kind of stupid. Geographical bias in today’s world? You have been left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Hinesville? Seriously. Yeah I know Anthony and Frazier ��. If we can bring in coaches from different backgrounds and states, why not be opened minded and apply optimistic standards as well to recruits who desire the opportunity to play at Georgia Southern. Not promoting mass recruiting changes, but if there's interested diamonds in the rough outside our area of operation, why not casually pursue starting with cheap letters of interest. Why limit ourselves to a fish bowl when the ocean is unlimited?
    I chose Hinesville for a specific reason, and it’s not just Raymond Gross.

In the ‘90s and early ‘00s, there two option QBs out of Hinesville (my hometown) who were recruited by GS. One was signee Frank Troup, who signed in the same class as J.R. Revere and had better tools than J.R. He was a freak.

GS had been watching him since middle school. During his short tenure as QB coach, Tracy Ham used to come have lunch at Bradwell regularly, mostly so he could fuss at the kid about off-field stuff (so I’ve heard). Anyway, GS signed him, and he made it about a week into fall camp.

The point is that GS coaches KNEW the kid. They were well aware of what they were getting into, and they were willing to make that gamble in the pre-APR days. Troup was about as close as one can get to Tracy Ham in terms of build and tools. If we were recruiting him from five states away in 2018, would we be able to assess whether he’s worth the APR risk?

The other QB was Pierre Washington, who was then-BI QBs coach Raymond Gross’s protégé for about five or six years. He made it to GS as a walk-on after signing with a D-II, but PJ and Sewak KNEW that kid from the time he was an 8th-grade option QB. While he didn’t ultimately have the talent, he was a known commodity. When you’re handing out scholarships, that’s the ideal situation.

How do those two situations compare to our signing Nate Cruikshank or Prince McJunkins, Jr.?

I’m convinced we signed the latter because his father was a notable veer QB in the 1970s, and one just doesn’t forget a name like that (especially when McJunkins, Sr. is referenced on page one of PJ’s Georgia Southern playbook).

The bottom line is that we don’t have the $$$ to “know” many recruits from beyond our recruiting footprint (aka, driving distance).

And seriously, why do we need to look much further? All the MAC and WAC schools are coming HERE for their talent.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    IIRC, Ramsby had at least a couple of MAC offers to play RB. We chased him big-time as our lone QB in that class.

I’m sure Koo had other opportunities, and he was understandably leery of coming all the way to rural Georgia. We laid it on him heavy, putting together a Korean-American-specific campus visit. We pursued him hard. We can’t afford to do that for many recruits—just the special cases.
    All I can find on Ramsby is one other offer from Eastern Illinois who was coming off a 7-5 season, and nothing on Koo...but Monken HAD to do something about actually going after a kicker after the soccer fiasco.

I think GS can only afford (both time and money) to just dabble in out of region recruiting, and only if they get some level of interest back.