TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stetson Bennett IV

Default Re: Stetson Bennett IV

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    We just need to convince Mary Jane Watson to transfer then I think we'll be good.
    I get it now. Was thinking more Flight of the Concords though.

Bob DeBesse is an option OC at this point in his career. He was hired to re-boot what we attempted to run in 2017.

Regardless of size, speed, whatever, Bennett is not an option QB. He is an Air Raid QB. He doesn’t fit what we plan to do.

Also, he’s good. If he just wants to play, he’ll transfer to Samford or to one of the programs that offered him out of HS, such as MTSU or Georgia Southern.

If he goes JUCO, it’s because he wants to be the next Baker Mayfield. He will end up at a program that runs an Air Raid offense and gives him the best chance to play immediately. That could range all the way from Oklahoma to Samford, depending on his ability.

I guess the short version is that he could be the best QB in the country, and he wouldn’t be a fit at GS. We would probably take him if we could get him, though.

That said, the legend of his talent has “Go Dawgs!” hype written all over it.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    We just need to convince Mary Jane Watson to transfer then I think we'll be good.
    Nice.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Bob DeBesse is an option OC at this point in his career. He was hired to re-boot what we attempted to run in 2017.

Regardless of size, speed, whatever, Bennett is not an option QB. He is an Air Raid QB. He doesn’t fit what we plan to do.

Also, he’s good. If he just wants to play, he’ll transfer to Samford or to one of the programs that offered him out of HS, such as MTSU or Georgia Southern.

If he goes JUCO, it’s because he wants to be the next Baker Mayfield. He will end up at a program that runs an Air Raid offense and gives him the best chance to play immediately. That could range all the way from Oklahoma to Samford, depending on his ability.

I guess the short version is that he could be the best QB in the country, and he wouldn’t be a fit at GS. We would probably take him if we could get him, though.

That said, the legend of his talent has “Go Dawgs!” hype written all over it.

Who was SHSU’s QB under Debesse?

Why is Bennett an “Air Raid QB”? Because he can complete passes. Making him an Air Raid QB would actually negate him. I don’t think there’s any chance he comes out of JUCO as a 4* or anything like that but in a weird way his decision to go to UGA for a year might end up being a good thing. He just sat in a QB room with Eason and Fromm for a year and then went against one of her best defenses in the country in practice everyday. He’s probably a better QB now by doing that than if he would have gone to an FCS school and started right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post

Why is Bennett an “Air Raid QB”? Because he can complete passes. Making him an Air Raid QB would actually negate him. I don’t think there’s any chance he comes out of JUCO as a 4* or anything like that but in a weird way his decision to go to UGA for a year might end up being a good thing. He just sat in a QB room with Eason and Fromm for a year and then went against one of her best defenses in the country in practice everyday. He’s probably a better QB now by doing that than if he would have gone to an FCS school and started right away.
    I call him an "Air Raid QB" because he's short, does his best work with the pocket moving around, and makes all kinds of throws from all kinds of arm angles when the play breaks down and he's scrambling.

He doesn't look like a QB who stands in a clean pocket and makes throws over LBs and in front of Safeties.

To me, QBs who do that are "pro-style" QBs like Brady, Winston, Stafford, and Ryan.*

If a passing QB is sub 6'1" and doesn't appear to throw over the top, I'm just gonna call him an "Air Raid QB." It's a lot easier to label him thus, as that profile is a proven fit at places like Texas Tech and WVU.

Like all "shorthand," it's reductive. I admit that.

*Yes, I know that "Pro-style" is also a dumb label, too. HoFers like Montana and Young made a living rolling out to throw ("West Coast" simply being the "Air Raid" from under center), and a former Air Raid QB like Case Keenum--who really doesn't do anything except extend the play and throw deep passes--can be an All Pro when given the chance.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

For simplicity, maybe all styles should be narrowed down to just "throw game" and "run game" QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Sincere and Bell about 50/50. Bell was just athletic enough to run option, and just tall enough to throw from the pocket.

Ruse is the guy who slowly but surely turned the reins over to Bell, which makes sense, as he is less of an option guy than DeBesse and added some "Baylor stuff" like lots of power and lots of vertical passing.
    Last edited by pete4256; 29th May 2018 at 01:40 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

8. Default Re: Stetson Bennett IV

If a passing QB is sub 6'1" and doesn't appear to throw over the top, I'm just gonna call him an "Air Raid QB.
    Hmmm, Werts may be more versatile than I thought?

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    For simplicity, maybe all styles should be narrowed down to just "throw game" and "run game" QB's.
    You're being facetious, I presume, but there's a pretty big difference between an offense that requires the QB to stand in a clean pocket and attack zone defenses upfield, and one that requires the QB to improvise against the pass rush and sling the ball around the field.

Which system would fit Bennett's tools better? UGA's or Oklahoma's?

Would Skylar Morgan have played a down at UGA?

And there are different kinds of running QBs, too. Shai Werts has explosive feet and is an "eraser." On a well-blocked option play, a MLB isn't going to pursue him laterally and make a clean tackle. The alley defender isn't going to have a 100% success rate in tackling him one-on-one (see the 2011 NDSU game).

However, there are plenty of long-legged, stiff-hipped QBs who'd probably be nearly as effective on generic zone-read plays when the lane is open. Brian Bell is an example.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

I call him an "Air Raid QB" because he's short, does his best work with the pocket moving around, and makes all kinds of throws from all kinds of arm angles when the play breaks down and he's scrambling.

He doesn't look like a QB who stands in a clean pocket and makes throws over LBs and in front of Safeties.

To me, QBs who do that are "pro-style" QBs like Brady, Winston, Stafford, and Ryan.*

If a passing QB is sub 6'1" and doesn't appear to throw over the top, I'm just gonna call him an "Air Raid QB." It's a lot easier to label him thus, as that profile is a proven fit at places like Texas Tech and WVU.

Like all "shorthand," it's reductive. I admit that.

*Yes, I know that "Pro-style" is also a dumb label, too. HoFers like Montana and Young made a living rolling out to throw ("West Coast" simply being the "Air Raid" from under center), and a former Air Raid QB like Case Keenum--who really doesn't do anything except extend the play and throw deep passes--can be an All Pro when given the chance.
    You mean he's someone like Todd Reesing that won the Orange Bowl at Kansas?
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.