TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stetson Bennett IV

Default Re: Stetson Bennett IV

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    You mean he's someone like Todd Reesing that won the Orange Bowl at Kansas?
    I suppose so?

The main thing is that he’s too good at what he does (which isn’t “run the option”) for us to be talking about him.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I call him an "Air Raid QB" because he's short, does his best work with the pocket moving around, and makes all kinds of throws from all kinds of arm angles when the play breaks down and he's scrambling.

He doesn't look like a QB who stands in a clean pocket and makes throws over LBs and in front of Safeties.

To me, QBs who do that are "pro-style" QBs like Brady, Winston, Stafford, and Ryan.*

If a passing QB is sub 6'1" and doesn't appear to throw over the top, I'm just gonna call him an "Air Raid QB." It's a lot easier to label him thus, as that profile is a proven fit at places like Texas Tech and WVU.

Like all "shorthand," it's reductive. I admit that.

*Yes, I know that "Pro-style" is also a dumb label, too. HoFers like Montana and Young made a living rolling out to throw ("West Coast" simply being the "Air Raid" from under center), and a former Air Raid QB like Case Keenum--who really doesn't do anything except extend the play and throw deep passes--can be an All Pro when given the chance.
    Typical Air Raid QB's are stand in the pocket guys that make a quick read and get the ball out fast. Air Raid teams don't like to have the ball in the QB's hands for long. The timing on WR routes have the ball coming out pretty quick, that's why disrupting WR routes at the line force Air Raid QBs to have to work harder.

I don't see much pocket moving in Leach's schemes, and he's about as pure Air Raid as they come.

Your first 2 sentences describe Kevin Ellison and Jayson Foster (well minus the ability to make all sorts of throws).

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Typical Air Raid QB's are stand in the pocket guys that make a quick read and get the ball out fast. Air Raid teams don't like to have the ball in the QB's hands for long. The timing on WR routes have the ball coming out pretty quick, that's why disrupting WR routes at the line force Air Raid QBs to have to work harder.

I don't see much pocket moving in Leach's schemes, and he's about as pure Air Raid as they come.

Your first 2 sentences describe Kevin Ellison and Jayson Foster (well minus the ability to make all sorts of throws).
    Yes, I was pretty clear about “making all the throws.”

As far as getting rid of the ball quickly, yes, that’s the priority. It’s like making the proper mesh read for a GS QB. Most of the really quick hitters are not going over the top of the line and behind LBers, though. So again, height is less important. And throwing from different arm angles doesn’t hurt in that case, either—it can help get the ball out into the flat much more quickly.

I suppose I’m looking at Mayfield as the prototype “Air Raid” QB?

If so, hit the defense quick, and then extend the play if the quick hitter isn’t there. That goes all the way back to Hatcher as a QB at Valdosta State. Again, I’m just using the term as shorthand anyway.

Bennett would obviously be looking for a system that REALLY fits his talents. That’s probably not UGA, and it’s almost certainly not GS.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Well now we can really go down a rabbit hole.....

Nick Chubb was listed at 5'-11" on his NFL profile and 5'-10" on the UGA roster.
    Roquan Smith is listed at 6'-01".

Pic of Smart with Chubb and Smith.

Pic of Smart with Bennett IV

Bennett's actually 6'5", with the afro 6'9"

5. Default Re: Stetson Bennett IV

A match made in Bulldog heaven? Smart and Bennett. Smart you got his back after the Juco experiment? Smart you can take off you elevator shoes now.

6. Default Re: Stetson Bennett IV

I'm not sure that the kid would even want to come to Southern. If he does and he is a legit football player and buys into our system, I say bring him on. I agree that the coaching staff would not miss on this one if they felt he could make a difference and there was mutual interest. The tape isn't too bad by the way. If he comes in and wins the job in our system is anybody on here going to be mad? Just seems silly to say no right off the bat. If he is that good and wants to go to Samford, I don't know why he would go JUCO in the first place.

7. Default Re: Stetson Bennett IV

Quote Originally Posted by sunb05 View Post
    I don't know why he would go JUCO in the first place.
    Academics? Or a Smart's strategy?

8. Default Re: Stetson Bennett IV

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Academics? Or a Smart's strategy?
    I guess I shouldn't rule academics out. Don't have to sit a year to transfer to Samford right?

I'm not sure that the kid would even want to come to Southern. If he does and he is a legit football player and buys into our system, I say bring him on. I agree that the coaching staff would not miss on this one if they felt he could make a difference and there was mutual interest. The tape isn't too bad by the way. If he comes in and wins the job in our system is anybody on here going to be mad? Just seems silly to say no right off the bat. If he is that good and wants to go to Samford, I don't know why he would go JUCO in the first place.
    You’re pretty much accurate on all accounts. The tape is good. But he ain’t coming HERE to play in an option scheme, so there’s no point in pursuing that discussion. Ultimately, the rumors about going to JUCO rather than to Samford should help shed some light on his motivations.

QBs go JUCO from P5 programs in order to hit the re-set button on their FBS recruiting.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

I guess I shouldn't rule academics out. Don't have to sit a year to transfer to Samford right?
    No, but these days players go JUCO instead so that they can showcase their game for a year in hopes of finding a better fit in FBS. Our “very own” Mike Williams comes to mind.

Sometimes players do so by choice, other times by necessity (Cam Newton, Nick Marshall).
    Last edited by pete4256; 30th May 2018 at 11:23 AM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown